Author Topic: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?  (Read 13351 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Desperatezulu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Once London, now Joburg
Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:39:01 AM »
    Hello everyone,
 
  I'm looking for a few pointers on fly tackle selection. I will be doing a lot  more trout fishing going forward and want to add/expand to my current gear. The  fishing will be stillwater on large dams, with bank fishing plus  boat/float-tube being on the cards.
  I want to get a 3wt and a 5wt set-up - my thinking is to go for 10ft. (I  already have a 9ft 5wt set-up, so may as well get something slightly  different). The reasons for the 10ft are primarily for boat/float-tube  activities where casting height is often a limitation. I will get floating and  sinking lines for both set-ups, so will get reels with additional spools.
 
  I am also thinking of getting a 7'6"-8' beginner combo for my kids.  Quality would not be a major criterion here!
 
  The tackle is likely to be shared so I do not want to invest in top line Sage,  Loomis et al - don't want tears when stuff is scratched, broken, lost etc. So  my thinking is to go for either Stealth or Xplorer - i.e. fairly budget but  reasonable quality. I have a few Stealth rigs that have been fine over the  years, so I have a good idea what I'd be getting with them. Xplorer I see as a  fairly new entrant in the local market and I know zilch about their tackle.
 
  My shortlist is:
 
· Xplorer Guide II – 3wt 10’ & 5wt 10’  . Extender option available - is this any good/worth paying extra for?
 
· Stealth Infinity – 3wt 10’ & 5wt  10’.
  Budget options:
 
· Xplorer back country – 8’ 5wt
 
· Stealth Start combo – 7’6” 4/5wt
 
  Any suggestions on which ones to pick? Are there other options in this category  that I should be looking at?
  Where is the best/cheapest place to source - Ganis? Direct from producer? Where  is the cheapest place to sources flies from these days?
 
  Would appreciate all advice and comments!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:47:01 AM »
Hi bru! I have recently fallen in love with xplorer after I had issues with the Orvis support and my warranty and would recommend them above anyone. The Classic II is also a budget option and is in the middle between the back country and the guide II. It also has a lifetime guarantee which is awesome.

I am sure you will get a lot of input from the other guys here, but I would go with the Guide II... If you want a 3 weight, it might be a better option to go for the 7'6... 3 weights are ideal for small streams, only problem is casting, the 10 foot will be a mission!

All I can say is Xplorer offer fantastic service and their new range of product is world class. The T-50 is a rod I want to get, and many of the guys in the SA industry says this rods can compete with any sage, hardy and orvis out there.

All the best.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:39:50 AM »
Forget the names, go cast them and see what chooses you !

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:43:26 AM »
Forget the names, go cast them and see what chooses you !

Very very expensive advice from Mr Holmes! But I agree
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »
Forget the names, go cast them and see what chooses you !

Very very expensive advice from Mr Holmes! But I agree

Homes does speak loads of kuk but agree x 2 on this one.

Offline Desperatezulu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Once London, now Joburg
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
@WK - thanks for the helpful post! So +1 for Xplorer

@Homes, you don't also sell golf clubs by any chance? Very expensive advice you're doling out :hnthnt:
 
Just a clarification, I am not buying Ferraris here! I am looking for some adequate rods that will be shared.... which apparently was not clear in my 1st post. Getting into the subtleties of casting styles, techniques, abilities, conditions blah blah blah is overkill for my needs. If I was going to test all the options myself, then I'd probably not need to solicit opinions here... :blush:
 
So where do I get my hands on some loaners to try out myself? No suggestions on any other brands/models to consider?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
Budget wise I would say Xplorer Classic II 5/6 Has a lifetime guarantee)

All the Xplorer reels are quite lekker as well, so you do not need to go and break the bank either... You can get spare spools quite easily if they do not come with one...

If you has a few extra k, I would say the xplorer t-50, its amazing! Or just go with the Guide II  :-)

Heard good things about both the set ups for the youngster, so either one there... I have just had bad experiences with stealth in the past, so will not bother with them at all, (Not saying they are not the way to go - just my 2 cents)...

Offline Desperatezulu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Once London, now Joburg
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
Thanks WK - any suggestions where to buy Xplorers from?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 12:34:14 PM »
I got mine from http://www.fanaticfishing.co.za/ because they had the best prices, second was basil manning...

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »
Bro, I was ready to spend around 3-4 k on a rod I only read about... after casting I settled on a much cheaper rod The Explorer guide 2.

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
You really won't go wrong with either. I use the Guide series and have had cause to get replacement tips - no worries, quick and not expensive. My kids use the Explorer Classic as I found it had a more gentle action and responded well to a slower cast - teaches them to pause.
Have from a 3 wt for the streams up to a 12 for offshore and wouldn't bother getting any other brand from now on unless for a very specific purpose.
I also have an old 11'6 5wt used for dapping in the Irish loughs - the extra length is a bonus so don't worry about 10'.

Offline bassbug

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 401
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 02:57:56 PM »
if its saving some bucks then i would stick to another 5wt rod and use the same reel. as travelmember mentioned, go for a 11 foot rod, this length is best suited from a float tube and big rivers. you can also look at greys as an option.
for the kids, either the xplorer or stealth will do just perfectly

Offline Desperatezulu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Once London, now Joburg
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, guys - much appreciated!
 
Bro, I was ready to spend around 3-4 k on a rod I only read about... after casting I settled on a much cheaper rod The Explorer guide 2.
I do have other rods - just looking for budget options that are also a bit different to what I already have. And can be sacrificed to the fishing gods if lent to (careless) people!

Offline konradkuehl

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Western Cape.
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:39 PM »
From a Junior Protea angler that has been sponsored by Stealth and Xplorer:


Nymphing rod: Stealth Infinity 3wt 10ft
Dry Fly rod: Xplorer Guide 2 9ft (the 10ft for nymphing is horrible)
Stillwater setup: Stealth Infinity 5wt 10ft (has enough backbone for large fish, is soft enough for small fish and is light enough to cast the whole day)


Budget setups: Always Xplorer. They have very good entry level products and you do get value for money.


If you have anymore questions please ask!

Ex SA Junior Fly Fishing Team member, 16th at Junior World Champs - Poland 2014. Now Rock and Surf is my thing!

Offline Desperatezulu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Once London, now Joburg
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 07:31:09 AM »
Thanks, Konrad - awesome feedback!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »
From a Junior Protea angler that has been sponsored by Stealth and Xplorer:


Nymphing rod: Stealth Infinity 3wt 10ft
Dry Fly rod: Xplorer Guide 2 9ft (the 10ft for nymphing is horrible)
Stillwater setup: Stealth Infinity 5wt 10ft (has enough backbone for large fish, is soft enough for small fish and is light enough to cast the whole day)


Budget setups: Always Xplorer. They have very good entry level products and you do get value for money.


If you have anymore questions please ask!

 :win:
 :+ cred:

Offline Fishlus Mark

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: KZN, Durban
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 02:55:35 PM »
Homie had some good advice - "go and cast a few different rods"
I can cast all day with a T&T buy can't cast a Sage.
Also don't go and buy cheap - cheap has put many a beginner of flyfishing because the rod did not load correctly to your casting style. It takes a seasoned caster to get a cheapie to perform, you will battle and then give up.
Also spend your money on a good rod and flyline and not a reel. A cheap reel will do just fine.
Your big question is: who has demo rods to try? Shops don't have casting ponds to test the gear on.?? I think the high end suppliers will meet you at a dam?? Maybe some of the Joburg guys can help? Try flyfishing clubs??
Good luck.

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 05:11:46 AM »
I have a 9 weight Explorer guide rod. and the tip section broke. Contacted Keith Falconer from Explorer and in no time a new tip section was sent to me. Great back up service.
The rod itself casts very nice
I recommend them if you want a no fuss deal. :grk: :grk: :grk:
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

Nakoota

  • Guest
Re: Fly tackle selection questions - Stealth vs Xplorer vs ?
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 11:20:17 AM »
I have 2 Xplorer classic 2's in 5/6 and 6/7 weights and a Guide 2 in 10 weight for tigers and the salt. All great rods and suit their applications just fine. I previously had 2 older stealth travel rods in 5/6 and 9/10 weights but stopped using these when I couldn't get replacement sections after breakage.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal