Author Topic: pentagon P6 vs P7  (Read 6300 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mouse1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
pentagon P6 vs P7
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:54:24 AM »
I'm in the market for a grinder rod and am pretty much settled on a blank type. I now just have decide which rating to go for. Please could you share what you use your respective P6s and P7s for. This would help me a great deal in my decision. :tkx:

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: pentagon P6 vs P7
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »
Mouse1 I think you need to decide what you would like to use the rod for. Personally I like the P6 because it is more of an all round rod. I can either throw a 6oz with mackie cutlets or chokka bait to look for greys, flatties etc or I can use it to scratch at long range. I think however that the P6 is a bit undergunned for the really big non eds or throwing big baits like a whole mack etc.

If you purely want to target big non eds then I would go for the P7 and match it with the Gosa 25000.

If its versatility you want I would look at the P6 and an Ultegra 14000. Load one spool with 30lb and the other with 50lb.

Offline mouse1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
Re: pentagon P6 vs P7
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:17 AM »
Lekker then. Want to use it for scratching and the odd diamond with a mackie bait. Nothing more. If that is the case then I know which one I want. So would you say your P6 could handle a mackie head with a 6oz? I wouldn't want to throw anything bigger with the outfit.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: pentagon P6 vs P7
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:04:52 AM »
Definitely! I have thrown a mackie head and chokka strip a number of times with it. I would suggest you start off small and learn to use the rod first. I found it felt very different to a normal multiplier outfit so I wouldnt take a chance belting out your first cast with a heavy sinker and bait only to feel that craaaack!

Good luck with the purchase! I have really enjoyed fishing with mine

Offline Hypershark

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni , Gauteng
Re: pentagon P6 vs P7
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
Gents may i ask what the oz rating is for each of these rods?
 :tite

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: pentagon P6 vs P7
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
P6 = 6oz

P7 = 7oz

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: pentagon P6 vs P7
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
I would go with the 6 .


I do know I will never buy such a big heavy Grinder outfit , but thats just me . I also have seen a bunch of guys that bought big grinder setups  , just to sell them a couple of weeks later .


I think  Like half pint mentioned , your casting will have to adapt with a grinder .


But new tackle is always lekker !



Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline mouse1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
Re: pentagon P6 vs P7
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
Yeah I hear you. Grinder outfits come into their own when It comes to scratching in the surf. You can really belt double hook traces without any fear of overwinds on windy days when those unclipped baits start to make those big circles. However having the option of still being to fish a diamond bait is a nice option.  It sounds like the P6 is the rod for me.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal