Author Topic: Cape Vidal  (Read 6557 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Cape Vidal
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »
Me working in Pongola/Swaziland this week. Going to have a solid spinning session at Cape Vidal on Friday morning (from about 7 - 12). Lots of wind predicted by windguru though, NE swinging to SW by about lunchtime. Hopefully the couple of hours before the SW wind comes through will work well. Should be a nice start to the day before driving back to Durban.

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
Great some people have all the luck  :hehe: :tite
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »
 :tite  Steenie!

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Good luck Steenie!!! :tite 
Reach for a bream!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
 :tite

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
Thank you guys!

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
Tides are not to great, it will be outgoing tide. I will start at around high tide in the bay at Vidal and then try and get onto the ledges south of Vidal as the tide drops.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »
Ready for getting up at 05h00 tomorrow to go to Vidal. Two beds in the guesthouse room I am sleeping in Mtubatuba tonight. My Amia with Stradic 5000 is softly laid down on the one bed, the other bed is mine! Hahaha! Me and my faithfull angling mate...

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
I am not telling a lie, my companion is tucked in for the night. Hahaha "Modified" Chase S-bend spoon was chosen to open the session tomorrow morning.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
The bastid is fishing right now....  :envy

Offline hardfisher

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 69
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Live and let live
  • Location: Pinetown KZN
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 07:15:50 AM »
Aye Reefs, the only way I keep going is by thinking todays work will pay for tomorrows fishing :rck"

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 07:19:01 AM »
Agree Reefz every time I see some photos of fish or read about the people fishing I go in serious depression one more month to go for me
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
 :hnthnt: :cry: .....Aaaaggg...jinne shame.......I feel for you gents......BUT , yes I count my blessing daily.....That pic in my profile is my kobbie hunting grounds ...will be thinking of you when Im there tomorrow and Sunday AM.....LOL...
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
The bastid is fishing right now....  :envy
:envy :envy :envy

Offline No-Pro

  • False Bay
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 232
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fish Hoek and Iraq
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »
Agree Reefz every time I see some photos of fish or read about the people fishing I go in serious depression one more month to go for me


Ja Willie, 32 days until i land in my beloved Cape Town, it seems forever still.
My rig might demobilize slightly earlier, so it might cut down by about 10 days. I need to fish or at least be at the ocean.  :fshn:
While some fish for a living, I live for fishing

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »
Agree Reefz every time I see some photos of fish or read about the people fishing I go in serious depression one more month to go for me


Ja Willie, 32 days until i land in my beloved Cape Town, it seems forever still.
My rig might demobilize slightly earlier, so it might cut down by about 10 days. I need to fish or at least be at the ocean.  :fshn:
32 Days also. Leaving Bunia on the 13th home on the 14th of Oct.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
I arrived at the Cape Vidal entrance gate  at around 05h30 on Friday morning and chatted to a group of kayak anglers also  waiting for the gate to open at 06h00. They wanted to launch at Vidal, but with  the eminent south-westerly gale on its way they decided to do some spinning  from the side as well. We travelled the tar road of about 35 kms to the Cape  Vidal camp in a convoy of four vehicles.


On our arrival at around 06h45 we  discovered a bamboo forest of about 40 anglers (young and old) catching shad in  the bay. The tide had already started to drop and the action appeared to have  slowed down. Nevertheless the group of kayak anglers and myself promptly  grabbed our spinning kit and headed for the crowd. At this stage the  north-easterly wind was still pumping hard. I went north away from the crowd  and targeted a nice sand gully with a chase s-bend spoon. Soon I was rewarded  with a shad (released again) on a slow retrieve speed, but nothing after that.  I switched to a no.2 green-glow couta casting spoon and varied the retrieve between  fast and slow but without success. I also tried a bucktail jig on various  actions from slow bumping on the bottom right through to a  steady retrieve like with a spoon – nothing. I  must admit that it is fun spinning with these bucktail jigs and the casting  distance is good even with a strong wind. I ended up around 2 km north of the  parking area and then started working back as the tide dropped. I met up with  some of the kayak group again and they have had no success. The crowd was  slowly dissipating as the shad has gone off the bite. It was around 08h00 and I  decided to go back to the bakkie to get my rock shoes and to work south onto  the Vidal ledges.
 
I jogged about 3 km south of the parking  area to a spot with great rock ledges and deep water where I got a big  largespot pompano on a pink GT ice cream needle nose plug (of all things!)  during my previous visit. There is a nice section of beach just before these  ledges and there were some good gullies, so I tried a bucktail jig again in the  hope of attracting largespot pompano or kingies but it was dead quiet.


At around 09h00 the north easterly wind  started to drop whilst I was spinning with spoons from the deep water ledges. I  promptly switched to a flat-face GT ice cream plug to exploit the more quiet  conditions, but no success. I was contemplating switching to a CID slimbait,  but the south-westerly gale then came through a mere couple of minutes later without  mercy and it was an instant sand storm! I promptly switched back to spoons  which were the only lures one could use in the near unfishable conditions. At  10h00 it was simply unfishable and I returned to the bakkie after a spinning session  that lasted only over 3 hours and covering about 10 km of coastline in total  (always good exercise!) to drive back to Durban. The kayak anglers also  retreated to their accommodation without success. They will be there until  Sunday (lucky buggers) and I hope for their sake they nail the fish of their  ski’s.


It was great fun as always, but the  fishing and weather conditions were really poor, typifying what has been a very  dismal season out of a spinning perspective for me so far. It is my first year  as a true spinner man and I have been learning a lot – a steep learning curve,  but I feel I am now becoming a real spinning machine! The short daily spinning  sessions before work has really improved my skill level at a fast pace.
 

I read in the latest Basil Manning  newsletter this evening that it has been a really dismal season along the KZN  coast for guys targeting garrick, snoek and other game fish from the shore.  Even the kayak and boat anglers have battled to find these species except for  some really good yellowfin tunny. So I do not feel too bad about my really poor  success so far, and with my technique steadily improving I will be ready for  action when conditions improve!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:11:58 PM by Steenie »

Offline Big B

  • Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 760
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 06:56:42 AM »
Nice report, hard graft, you will be rewarded by neptune, just keep grafting.
Lets go FISHING!

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
 (clap) Enjoyed the report. Spinning is indeed hard work! What equipment are you using?

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Cape Vidal
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
Nice report Steenie!!! (clap)
Reach for a bream!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal