Author Topic: Help with ID please  (Read 3012 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Help with ID please
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »

Help my ID this species please.


I think its a bream of some sort, its the 1st time I catch one.


Caught from the rocks in Saudi in the Persian Gulf side on a Doctorhook Shool Bully







Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
Difficult to ID with certainty from the angle of the pic....

My best guess would be the Haffara seabream (Rhabdosargus haffara) http://fishbase.org/summary/Rhabdosargus-haffara.html
                         



However, the Haffara bream is reported to grow up to 35 cm.... yours looks much bigger though...  :dunno:
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:59:49 AM »
Thanks John,



Offline lebaka

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 860
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • i break bills
  • Location: boksburg
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »
the first pic looks like the mother of all blue kurpers  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

congrats gerhard great catch
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Offline visteroris

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 153
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: middelburg MP
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »
Maybe a Taliban Kurper :hehe: :hehe:
I fish because the voice in my head tells me to

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
Looks like a rock salmon with some modifications... :dunno:
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline Rudas

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »
 :cgrts :cgrts:   Nice een G!


Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
:cgrts :cgrts:   Nice een G!


Thanks Rudi...  w;k

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 08:33:11 AM »

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
Hi Gerhard


Create catch and nice video clip  (clap)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
Hi Gerhard


Create catch and nice video clip  (clap)


Thanks Carll

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
 (clap) Great video clip. It is interesting and I have seen it often myself where fish would strike within a few seconds after you start your retrieve. I have observed Mullet dashing away from a splash and then rush back to see what caused the commotion.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
(clap) Great video clip. It is interesting and I have seen it often myself where fish would strike within a few seconds after you start your retrieve. I have observed Mullet dashing away from a splash and then rush back to see what caused the commotion.


With the queenfish last year I have seen that they love big splash of a lure landing.


Its almost like a trigger reaction.


Still waiting for them to come in this year to test it.


Cuta again hit either on the lure dropping or the retrieve...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal