Author Topic: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed  (Read 13872 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »
well done on the fish you did get.. (clap) It seems you're happy with your new reel... :clwn pity about the braid being left at home,but next time I'm sure it will already be on the reel... :hnthnt: that's a very nice pens en derms(bronze bream)...you should perhaps spool your reel with the braid and leader now,that way you could go have a cast with it at your local dam perhaps to get a feel for it... :dunno:  check here for the how to's..  http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.msg41149#msg41149 when is your next trip?
Always be humble...

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Loved the new reel. Just wish I could hook something that would give it a proper workout. I am definitely going to load the braid well in advance of my next trip. That will unfortunately only be in December and will most likely be Struisbaai.
I have seen some nice Garrick and kob being caught there. Hopefully I can get myself one of those!


Thanks for the link. I read that post before going. Just didn't have the time to do it.


Why do you call it pens en derms?

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »


Why do you call it pens en derms?
bronze bream-(pachymetopon grande)bruin-hottentot/pens-en-derms...here in the Southern Cape,fisherman know it as pens-en-derms(stomach & intestines)because of its' very big stomach and when gutted,has a lot of innerds for it's size...hope that makes sense... :-) anywhere in the Southern & Eastern Cape will be good to have the reel tested on a nice leerie or kob,even cracker... :hnthnt: But Struisbaai is an excellent choice too... :clwn
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:05:47 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the feed back .


Atleast you got some fish to show , not bad at all .  (clap)
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
Hi Guys,


I received a few spoons and poppers as a gift last year and seeing that I am heading to the Transkei on Thursday I would like to use them. The challenge is that even though i enjoy rock and surf fishing I have never used lures before and i need to ask you guys for advice. I only have two questions, the rest of the information was easily found on UltimateAngling.co.za


1. I want to replace the treble hooks with normal single hooks. What size and type of hook should I use? I have added a photo so that you can see the size of these lures.


2. My second questions is the one that I really struggle with. How do I attach them to my line? Should I use a trace or do I connect them directly to the line? Should I use a leader of some sorts? There is so much info out there and my poor head got a little lost in all the different things mentioned...


While I am here I might as well go for a third question...will these things work?


Thanks!

:-) ...That slim spoon way over on the right hand side of the pic as you look at it is a DAMN FINE spoon...BUT...I would put a 6/0 short shank hook on it and as you have it ..no swivel...tie straight onto the split ring...The slim is good for kob , shad . leerie......
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
 w;k ..It also swims shallow and is great for hunting amongst the bricks , where you often find the kob looking for a spot to nest.....and boy...does a kobbie fight nicely when he is on the prowl to "mate".... :hehe:
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
 :-) ..Also , if you hevent already , get hold of these kwik release clips .....they great when you wanna change spoons/lures in a hurry and they strong.....I use the 1.4mm ones....
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Simo

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Pennington KZN
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »
What make are those strong kwik release clips - I can't find them here in Gauteng...?

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
There are a few around.
I use the Boone ones.
they have different strengths available, so you can take your pick. I dont bother with anything over the 40lb rating. makes no sense, fishing a maximum of 30lb leader..

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
What make are those strong kwik release clips - I can't find them here in Gauteng...?
w;k ...Contact Alcocks in Port Elizabeth....they are made by Dennis Swannel...
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Torpedo Jack

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
Hey!


Excellent report. I'm pleased you had a good time. Sometimes in this competitive world, we tend to over-emphasize the "catching" part of fishing. I won't lie, I fish to catch, but we often forget that it's the experience of being out in the wild, and sharing a great time together with friends or loved ones.


Congrats on the nice catches, and thanks for the feedback.


Mike


P.S. Don't worry too much about leaving the line behind. I left my rod behind once... That's dumb!

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »
Hi Mike,


I also go fishing to catch something but I have to admit fishing for me is more about the trip, the experience, the time spent with friends/family than catching. All of this is made SO much better when you catch something and it adds to the story to tell later.


Must say I am looking forward to December when I will be in Struisbaai with my favorite fishing partner, my Dad.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »
lets be honest.
it is all about catching, because if there were no fish in the sea to catch, you would not go down in winter, wade in the cold sea, throwing plugs just for the fun of it........
you keep on doing it because you know that the day will come when you get what you seek.

Offline Torpedo Jack

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »
Hi Chris,


Yes, we live in hope.....

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
True but I also won't go out in the freezing cold on my own. IT is way more fun being miserably cold with someone than on your own.  Hell even on a warm sunny day it just isn't the same without someone there to share the experience.


The trip, the people, the stories and the catching is what what makes fishing what is.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »
Im never on my own.
I am always accompanied by my rod.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal