Author Topic: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed  (Read 13864 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
WOW! this is getting really expensive.

So for reels it seems to be between the Penn Fierce and the Shimano Symetre. I will check both of these out.

Do anybody have any info on Spider Wire EZ braid? I see that goes for about R210 for 15lb from basil manning.

Yet again, thanks for all the information from everyone!

I needed to go to basils today, so thought ll check out both the above mentioned reels. Look, you can actually go up to a 6000 size on the Penn Fierce for under 1k if you like that reel. Perhaps have the guys fit it on a 10ft rod to see how balanced it is... :dunno: The Penn is bulkier compared to the Shimano but does have the extra line capacity.


The Symetre felt as I had expected but I must admit, but was a tad bit disappointed with the rubberised part of the handle compared to the older models.. But that's me just being overly critical.. :nuts: Its still a proper reel.

Look, I had  15lb Spider Wire EZ (Green) spooled on my Symetre 2500 with 15lb Maxima Flouro for almost 2 years. ... Iv never ever had a wind knot or snap off.. not once... I had it in the green and as mentioned, caught a fair number of fish on it. So, if this is what you can afford, I can vouch for it and will fish with it any day of the week especially in the 15lb outfit.

I have not used the JDB or Daiwa but....I just remembered something.. Have a look at the new Maxima 8 Strand in the YELLOW. I didnt get it because there was no stock in the  Lbs I wanted in December and got another brand, but  the pricing was not bad at all.. But it must be in the YELLOW and not the green, as some guys were having issues with the quality on the green for some rhyme or reason. 


Maxima- Winner of the Best New Line at the Australian Fishing Trade Association Show
http://www.nafa.com.au/review/949.html

Good luck with the decision and please do post some pics of your rig once you get it :-)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:51:10 PM by MahiMahi »
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline caesar

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 172
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kempton Park
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »
For how to on braid have a look at this post. http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.0
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:15:18 PM by caesar »
No matter what you do, someday it comes back to you.

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 10:22:08 PM »
Hi All,


Thanks so much for all the help and information. I decided to go for the Penn Fierce.


I will be loading it with Spider Wire braid tomorrow and then it's off to the beach with me and my new toys!





Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 10:46:34 PM »
Great Stuff Ivtubbergh (clap) Here's wishing you lotsa  :sreel: on that rig. Look forward to reading the reports  w;k

Tight Lines!
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »
Very happy that you chose the reel that I suggested... :hnthnt: :hehe: good value for money reel that,I think you'll agree after your first outing with it... :clwn .. :tite and don't forget the :fshn:  pics... w;k






p.s:just remember to have your leader knot on the outside of the rod tip,it will help a lot when it comes to wind-knots...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:15:15 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
and keep it cleaned and lubricated in all the correct places after use.
pay special attention to the handle, bail arm and line roller....

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »
Very happy that you chose the reel that I suggested... :hnthnt: :hehe: good value for money reel that,I think you'll agree after your first outing with it...


Lofty I must admit, when i went to Basils and started playing with both the Fierce and Battle, my loyalty to the Symetre was stirred for a moment... just  for a moment though w;k ... haha.

It really is great value for the cash and definitely something il consider for my next reel.
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
Very happy that you chose the reel that I suggested... :hnthnt: :hehe: good value for money reel that,I think you'll agree after your first outing with it...


Lofty I must admit, when i went to Basils and started playing with both the Fierce and Battle, my loyalty to the Symetre was stirred for a moment... just  for a moment though w;k ... haha.

It really is great value for the cash and definitely something il consider for my next reel.
:lolo: that's good to hear,I love my reel,I've had it for quite a while now and it's still going strong,it was my main spinning reel before I got the Stradic 5000FJ,now I use the Fierce for the lighter spoons and plugs,paddletails,bucktails,etc....I think I should get royalties for punting their reel like I have... :hnthnt: :hehe: w;k if one day you do choose to get one,I think you'll also agree that it's a good buy for the price...strongest I've landed with it was a 6/7 kg blue ray,off my boat in the Gouritz river and the drag was very smooth...mine is loaded with 20lb Tripple fish Gatorbraid... :clwn
Always be humble...

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »

[/quote]I think I should get royalties for punting their reel like I have... :hnthnt: :hehe: w;k if one day you do choose to get one,I think you'll also agree that it's a good buy for the price...strongest I've landed with it was a 6/7 kg blue ray,off my boat in the Gouritz river and the drag was very smooth...mine is loaded with 20lb Tripple fish Gatorbraid... :clwn


Hahaha... And me from Shimano too :-) Im in the market for a reel for the kayak and have been wanting to try something different from the Shimano lineup. With 20lb drag, and a healthy enough spool for braid, it definitely ticks the boxes.  According to Penn, it can take 370mtrs 20lb braid and that seems enough for a good session :sreel: .

The battle is also quite nice at a higher price though, but will let you know what I decide on...eventually  :blush: After getting into a reading marathon on rod and reel reviews when purchasing gear, Im reminded of a saying..." After reading about the dangers of smoking, I stopped...reading " :crzy
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:26:57 PM by MahiMahi »
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
 With 20lb drag, and a healthy enough spool for braid, it definitely ticks the boxes. According to Penn, it can take 370mtrs 20lb braid and that seems enough for a good session :sreel: .
yes,I was quite surprised when I noticed that the my "cheapy" Fierce 4000 had the same,if not better line cap.than my Stradic 5000FJ...love the Stradic too... :clwn
Always be humble...

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »
tell us how it performs over time.
that is the true test.

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »
on the box it says...braid(lb/yds)...15/335...20/275...30/205...that's on the Penn Fierce FRC 4000...
Always be humble...

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/spinning-reels/fierce

also - generally good reviews on this reel. I think you will not be disappointed.

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
on the box it says...braid(lb/yds)...15/335...20/275...30/205...that's on the Penn Fierce FRC 4000...

Apologies, I was referring to the 5000, though the gear ratio is higher on the 4000.


"tell us how it performs over time.
that is the true test. "

Agreed.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:49:56 PM by MahiMahi »
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
sooo.... :hehe: how was the trip with the new reel..?Did you enjoy fishing with it,hope you got some fish... :clwn
Always be humble...

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »
Any feedback from the reel and your trip..?I hope you caught something... :clwn
Always be humble...

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
Hi Guys,


I only got back home late last night from an awesome week away. Maybe not all that awesome fishing wise...


I think I can now consider myself the worlds dumbest fisherman. After all the brilliant advice I got from everyone I forgot to pack the braid and the leader line that I bought for this trip. At least I remembered my new reel!


I managed to get my hands on a roll 25lb of line. You don't really have much choice when you are out in  middle of nowhere so this just had to do.


On my first day of fishing I decided to stick to what I know and test my new reel so I went to go fishing around the rocks with bait. First cast of the day I caught a small bronze bream. I politely asked him to go call his big brother before letting him go. About 20 minutes later I got a nice 28cm Blacktail.


Now that I know my new reel works very well and it being about an hour before high tide I decided to move the the river mouth and try out some of my new lures. I tried a variety of the spoons and the poppers without any luck and headed back to camp for break fast.


Next morning I started on the rocks again. It wasn't long before I hooked another fish. The Little bronze bream listened! I caught a very nice 37cm bronze bream.


And this is where my luck ended. After this I only caught two more small black tails.


The lures produced nothing. One fish did follow a spoon all the way to the little row boat me and the wife rented for the day to row up the river but that was it.


All and all it was a brilliant trip with lots of fun and new experiences even if I did not catch much.

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »

Here is my little bronze bream


Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »





And my best catch of the week

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal