Author Topic: Goggas 101  (Read 20301 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Goggas 101
« on: September 06, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Ok guys, please use this thread to post photos of insects that fish feed on.

Heres some photos of 2 of the most commonly found insects in our rivers and streams. I took these photos on Sunday. Pick up any rock from the river bed, and have a look underneath. The goggas on the bottom of the rocks will generally be the goggas the fish will be feeding on.



2 types of goggas here. First is a mayfly nymph, circled in red. Note the long tail and distinctly segmented adbdomen, essential triggers when buying/tying imitations. Next are 2 caddis larvae,circled in green. Note the contrast in colour between the head and the abdomen.



This is a nice pic to indicate the difference in colour between caddis larvae under one rock.



I placed two size 16 flies on the rock as a comparison in size. A size 16 hook is about 9mm in length. Again I've circled the mayfly in red, caddis in green. Something interesting here which I only picked up in the photo, is a caddis pupa, circled in blue.



I'm sure the "Old man River" will be able to throw more light on these insects, my entomology knowledge stops here!!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
Some more...

Heres another type of mayfly, a "clinger" or "crawler". Note the strong big legs, short abdomen and very long tail. Very different to the smaller delicate specimen in the previous pics.



Heres a good example of a stonefly nymph. Everything is much bigger than the mayflies - legs, head even the tail is thicker. These guys are very sensitive to pollution, and if present, are generally an indication of a clean river system.


Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 09:20:40 PM »
Last but not least, Blackfly Larvae. Now these guys are found everywhere, on top of rocks, on branches and tree stumps, everywhere. There are practically millions of them. The fish cruise around and hoover them up. These larvae are tiny, and although there are "blackfly" flies avalable out there, they are generally way too big.





Heres a project for Andrew's size 32 hooks!!

The larva build cases to pupate in, which look like little ice cream cones. When the pupa is mature, they build up a tiny air bubble which floats them to the surface where they hatch as an adult. If one of these  :cens bites/stings you, the bite will itch like hell for five days minimum!! Pasop!


Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
Great Post!!

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »
Rory
Super Greatest Post
My humble credit to you
Very Well done
You set UA far apart from the others with posts like these
Keep it up please
Carlos
"Team Tsutsuma"
}<(((*>

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:05:44 AM »
Great thread Rory  :tkx:, I'll dig out some more pics this evening and add them.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 06:40:11 AM »
Great stuff Rory... fascinating stuff... look forward to more of the same... Thanks for taking the time to explain...

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll get onto Old Chris re this thread, he'll give far more detail than I'm able to!

.........I'll dig out some more pics this evening and add them.


Excellent! w;k

Offline BigG

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 476
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish on weekends to feed the kids...
  • Location: Greenstonehill, Gauteng
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
Rory that is very informative mate, credit to you

I tell you i am going to have to get some glasses if i plan on fishing with you guys, that is major eye strain some of those little goggas
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
Really brilliant Rory. Flyfishing is a big gap in my repertoire, posts like these teach me how to think!

Offline LUPO

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 397
  • Cred: 31
  • He is watching you!
  • Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »
Excellent Rory!

 (clap) (clap)

Great pics and info!
The LORD is not interested in what you have done or doing. HE is only interested in what you are BECOMING!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »
Great post very useful!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
A few more bugs . . .

First is an adult mayfly
Second are a bunch of adult caddis, these are the larger of the 2 main types that hatch on the Vaal during the summer, they are around a size 10. The smaller ones are about a size 14-16, unfortunately I don't have any pics of them.
Third is a dragonfly nymph, they can grow up to around 6cm and come in various shades of green, brown and black.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »
Here are a few flies that can be used to imitate them

1. Para adams in sizes/colours to match the natural adult mayflies, usually sizes 14-18 in either olive, straw/yellow or grey
2. Stimulator size 10, I like to use these for the bigger adult caddis
3. CDC caddis size 14, I like these for the smaller adult caddis
 
Elk hair caddis and CDC & Elk are another 2 flies that are good for imitating adult caddis
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
For dragonfly nymphs my favorite pattern is Herman Botes' Pappa Roach in various colours from size 6 down to size 10. Another very good pattern is a neutral density dragonfly, I still need learn how to tie those (hint hint Rory).
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »
No wonder they call fly-fishing an art!! Outstanding work!  (clap)

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »
schloshd1
Your posting here just gets better & better.
Fantastic stuff man
Carlos
}<(((*>

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
Rory and Andrew,
Your posts are both brilliant.  :tkx: The photography is great. :ult:
Watching Rory take the pics on Sunday with his "Mik 'n Druk", I'm really impressed at the Macro function on that camera.

Well done guys.

Keep this up and we will soon have some more " Monster's" joining us on the rivers. w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
.......Third is a dragonfly nymph, they can grow up to around 6cm and come in various shades of green, brown and black.

Awesome pics Andrew.  :ayb I like the size of that dragonfly nymph, where did you find him?

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Goggas 101
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:35 AM »
Awesome pics Andrew.  :ayb I like the size of that dragonfly nymph, where did you find him?

Thanks man. Found him in a small stream out past Buffelspoort a few months ago
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal