0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Whats your budget? R2500? R3500? R4500? R5500 or Higher?
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=11777.0Will you be doing nymphing or Dry fly?Look at a 5wt Rod, Floating line, and a Decent reel with a fair amount of backing. Choose the rod according to how you are going to fish(casting or plonking at your feet.
Im no expert, having only recently started.Ive been using the Stealth Combo... Came with a 9" 5/6 wt reel, 2 spools one with sinking and one with floating Airflo lines.... was around R1500 a year or so back....ALL my trout, yellows and Muddies were caught with this.... worked perfectly !!!I now decided to upgrade, and after checking out a few rods and reels, I settled on a Guide 2 9" 5wt and the new 3-Tand reel...LOVE this setup, but have yet to catch anything.... Go figureIMHO, get a beginer setup, and then look at upgrading when you feel you want to....Also, have a look at the new Featherlite Rods.... being brought in by David Levine....ex Stealth founder... they are good rods and at a great price !heres the 3Tand
Probably better to start of with one of the complete set ups currently available from Explorer or Stealth. Looked at them the other day for a mate and you are looking at about R1200 for #5 rod, line, backing, reel. Think they throw in a tippet or 2 as well. Both are decent quality and more than adequate for some yellowfish nymphingYou will also need some decent felt soled wading boots +- R1000-R2000. These will help preserve the tackle you bought! And your knees and shins.Good luck, awesome piece of water!
I agree with you Koos but I have found that the premium rods and equipment(Apart from boots) gets wasted on noobies. Breaking it by using it wrong or complaining that that a R50 rod will work as well. I believe that all new fishermen should fish with crap equipment so that they can appreciate it when they upgrade
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll visit a few shops and make a decision!
Feel free to drop in for a chat and a coffee , currently have a 6 weight Guide that is 2nd hand so is only R 800.00 , also have some 10 foot and 9 foot Featherlites that are really good budget rods.