0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Wheres DiamnondDogs when we need him? He has the low down on this issue. Its not all doom, gloom, and dirty police cells! Something I do know is "Category 1b" also includes: Carp, Grass Carp, Silver Carp, All Bass, Trout, Blue Gill and some others as well. But don't go selling your bass boat yet....
Its always been! No invasive species was allowed in connected or flowing waterways, only in confined dams with no link to other waters. You required a permit to breed, transport and stock other such "confined" water/dams.
Quote from: Toppie on August 01, 2013, 10:07:01 AMIts always been! No invasive species was allowed in connected or flowing waterways, only in confined dams with no link to other waters. You required a permit to breed, transport and stock other such "confined" water/dams. Spot on Clive. "Category 1 b - invasive species are invasive species that require control by means of an invasive species management programme" The key words here being "Control" and "Invasive species management programme".
Ultimately, I assume, the responsibility will rest on riparian owners - so whoever owns the riverside or dam may be responsible for policing, because they would have to have permits to allow the fish to be in designated places, and they would have to provide anglers with permission to fish their waters. However, as I mentioned, I am just assuming.. Dont forget, they will also eradicate fish form some areas, as they have been doing in the W Cape - using rotenoneI am sure that FOSAF (and other angling societies for bass and carp) will be working on these issues and negotiating with government. A total ban and severe restrictions would have a significant effect on job creation and maintenance - just think, Machadodorp/Belfast areas where tourism is highly dependent on trout - as is (to a certain extent) places like Underberg/Nottingham road - and especially places like Rhodes.
I will be watching this thread with interest ... seems as if we are borderline criminals, having a hatchery - does this mean I will lose my cred?