Author Topic: Fly fishers taking over UA?  (Read 11795 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?

If you want it to be ....

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
Nymphing is bait fishing with an artificial....

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »
It will grow and grow, fur and feathers are cheaper than fuel, will be swopping shag for a kickboat soon!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?

If you want it to be ....


Lichia  - thats a cop out response! Sounds like something I would say to my wife so as not to get into trouble (but would get inot trouble anyway!)


Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?


If I remember correctly the IGFA states that as long as the line carries the fly and not the other way round it's legit.
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
quote author=Ziggy link=topic=14317.msg227785#msg227785 date=1371728186]
If I cast a camo worm with my fly rod - is that flyfishing?

If you want it to be ....


Lichia  - thats a cop out response! Sounds like something I would say to my wife so as not to get into trouble (but would get inot trouble anyway!)



 
 w;k  Ziggs
 
This has been a very hot topic before and some pretty nasty things were said . ”Bird Brain “ , “Jou ma se …. “ , Dip sh@t” and and
 
 
For the purists Chech nymping is definitely not fly fishing in the traditional sense . But you are still landing a fish on fly !!!
 
So for the sake of peace , lets let this one go …
[
 
 
 
 
 

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
I was wondering when this fight was due.
I fish because I enjoy it and I use any technique that I enjoy and because I get to share a cold one with the boys - the next topic up for discussion is sliding whole mackies and occie legs for barble in the vaal...

Having mingled a little bit with "Fly fisherman" I have noticed that that there are 3 distinct goups

1. Absolute purists - will only fish with custom made rods/nets and only target wild trout. Does not mingle with the lower classes.
2. Somewhat Purist - will target most fish sometimes mingle with the masses.
3. Rabble - Will target any fish in any way he can, carries a supply of windhoek and does not give a rats a$$ about what the others think.


There are exceptions to the rules as well.
I fall into line # 3  except for the rats a$$ bit. Keep it up makes a change from reading the banter thread  :happ:
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
rabble - without the booze...

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
I are be a rabble!
As long as I can get a fish on the other end of the line and the fish ate wat ever was on/next to/ close to the hook. I'm happy! The fish could have eaten the fly out of hunger, shock, self defence or anger I do not give a rats furry behind!
Cheers :2m: :beer:

We will be celebrating our rabbleness The weekend  :frid
Squid Happens!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 03:25:40 PM »
I are be a rabble!
As long as I can get a fish on the other end of the line and the fish ate wat ever was on/next to/ close to the hook. I'm happy! The fish could have eaten the fly out of hunger, shock, self defence or anger I do not give a rats furry behind!
Cheers :2m: :beer:

We will be celebrating our rabbleness The weekend  :frid
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

No.. us rabble use it for dopping.....

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

No.. us rabble use it for dopping.....


if this is what you mean by dopping - then I dont know how itr relates to fly tying or fishing


http://www.usfacetersguild.org/articles/glenn_klein/dopping_proceedure/

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 07:22:15 AM »
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

No.. us rabble use it for dopping.....
No But jou can use a Rats A$$

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »
I are be a rabble!
As long as I can get a fish on the other end of the line and the fish ate wat ever was on/next to/ close to the hook. I'm happy! The fish could have eaten the fly out of hunger, shock, self defence or anger I do not give a rats furry behind!
Cheers :2m: :beer:

 

We will be celebrating our rabbleness The weekend  :frid
Just a little question - can you use rabble fur for dubbing?

Hay Malakas enough now , go bake a bread !!!
 

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 08:36:33 AM »

 
Hay Malakas enough now , go bake a bread !!!


This is a family forum! Bad boy!!!!!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2013, 10:52:03 AM »
Hmmm,
I see the definition of rabble was written just for me. :hehe: w;k
See you on the water soon, young winter apprentice.  :frid
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
:trout:  Season !!
 
Everbody has moved into Fly mode , come summer and it will die down again .


...and this bad - why ? ......

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »
Nope , its bloody Great  :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :trout: :trout: :trout:

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Fly fishers taking over UA?
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
Winter on the Vaal is not for WOOSIES.
You blank 3 times out of 4 trips. BUT that 4th trip produces BIG fish ( + 3kg ) on a dry fly. :sreel:
Them there is also the opportunity of casting for LM, As far as I know Gerrit has the record this winter with a 20lb + Largie.  :shk
 
Others have caught Largies in the 10 to 18 lb range on a regular basis.
 
My turn WILL come, it just takes days and days of effort.
 
No "easy" fishing for yellows on the Vaal in winter, unless you are Herman Botes. :blush:
 
( Who is definitely out of my league  :-( )
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal