Author Topic: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas  (Read 9399 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Brendan

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways, Gauteng
Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
Morning legends,

I intend to get into fly tying sometime in the future. Probably quite far future due to current time/financial constraints etc, so at the moment I'm doing research regarding brands and costs.

Off the bat, I'd have to say the Renzetti range seems to be the vise of choice, but that, of course, is purely a personal opinion (I know there's a local chap who makes a great vise, by all accounts).

To the question: using Renzetti as the example - As they are quite costly in SA, has anyone tried to order such fly tying kit from overseas (there are many online sources)? Did it work out cheaper? Were there heavy import duties? Would it be better to stay 'in-country'?

Appreciate your time. :resp:



Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
If your budget is a problem go for a cheaper vice. At least you get to tie a couple of flies while you save for the real deal. Have a look at the Sunrise range of vices , will not break the bank and is perfect for starting out with. ( Full tying kit at under 500 South African Rond )
 
My 2c
 
 
Tie them  :rck" :geet
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:52:26 AM by Lichia amia »

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
I cant comment on vices as mine are old and has been used , but what flies are you going to use it for ?



Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline ST(d)

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 279
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Eat, Drink, Sleep and Live Fishing
  • Location: Umkomaas
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:41 AM »
Morning legends,

I intend to get into fly tying sometime in the future. Probably quite far future due to current time/financial constraints etc, so at the moment I'm doing research regarding brands and costs.

Off the bat, I'd have to say the Renzetti range seems to be the vise of choice, but that, of course, is purely a personal opinion (I know there's a local chap who makes a great vise, by all accounts).

To the question: using Renzetti as the example - As they are quite costly in SA, has anyone tried to order such fly tying kit from overseas (there are many online sources)? Did it work out cheaper? Were there heavy import duties? Would it be better to stay 'in-country'?

Appreciate your time. :resp:



Hi Brendan welcome to the tying age. Lots of fun, extremely pleasing and very simulant. To be honest with you, I never worried about the vice too much, it is a lot better to have a vice that is adjustable in 16 different way (just a joke) but your small hand tools are the secret, I first bought one of those cheap sets, then a new vice, not too cheap, but not an expensive one either. I did invest in proper hand tools though, thread bobbin, needles, pick needles and those tube like thingies to hold feathers back and so on. Let me know if you want some recipes. Also, experiment with different flies and colours, I use to make a whooly bugger, mixed in Yellow, Black and orange, I called it "the Clown bugger" this thing was a trout serial killer, on numerous occasions once the sun started getting too hot and the fish went of the bite, this bugger would take fish right in front of other anglers. Personally I think it was the colour combination, as this does play a big part in predatory fish. once i also tied a fly that took me 4 hours to complete, an insect replica, only problem was that it was an american insect, and didn't really look like any of our insect ;-). My 2 Sprats. PM me if you would like advice.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
If you're set on getting the Renzetti, they are stocked locally at Flyfishers Unlimited in Fourways. If my brittle memory serves me correctly Murray stocks a good range, from their entry level vice up to the top stuff. I will second the sentiments of the other opinions offered here though, you can get some good vices which will be a lot cheaper than the Renzetti and like everything, if you look after it, it will last forever. Alternative vices to perhaps take a look at would be the J-vice, Danvise and even Xplorer have a nice rotary vice available now.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
Sorry forgot to add I've no idea how ordering stuff from overseas works! :blush:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:37:23 AM by Rory »

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
Sorry forgot to add I've no idea how ordering stuff from overseas works! :blush:

Rory it works by going to the website, ordering, paying by credit card, pay shipping that is more expensive than the item you ordered, pray that it does not get lost, wait forever, pay customs duty, and then you start tying  :nuts:
Squid Happens!

Offline ST(d)

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 279
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Eat, Drink, Sleep and Live Fishing
  • Location: Umkomaas
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
Sorry forgot to add I've no idea how ordering stuff from overseas works! :blush:

Rory it works by going to the website, ordering, paying by credit card, pay shipping that is more expensive than the item you ordered, pray that it does not get lost, wait forever, pay customs duty, and then you start tying  :nuts:
That sound about right, l spot on.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
Sorry forgot to add I've no idea how ordering stuff from overseas works! :blush:

Rory it works by going to the website, ordering, paying by credit card, pay shipping that is more expensive than the item you ordered, pray that it does not get lost, wait forever, pay customs duty, and then you start tying  :nuts:

Aha! Whats a credit card?  :craz: 

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
Sorry forgot to add I've no idea how ordering stuff from overseas works! :blush:

Rory it works by going to the website, ordering, paying by credit card, pay shipping that is more expensive than the item you ordered, pray that it does not get lost, wait forever, pay customs duty, and then you start tying  :nuts:

Aha! Whats a credit card?  :craz:

The thing that your wife takes away before you go to the tackle shop....
Squid Happens!

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
You do not have to pay a lot for a vice. For me a vice needs to grip the hook properly and I would prefer the vice to have the rotary function. If I had to buy a vice again I would opt for the Danvise. A very good local option is the J-vise but a bit more expensive.

I think ordering from overseas might be a bit expensive as the base of the vise is quite heavy.

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
When I was in the market I also looked at the Renzetti but could not justify the spend, I settled on this Mongoose which was great value, it was not cheap but was also no where near the price of the Renzetti.
I buy things overseas all the time and its never an issue just use your card at a reputable store, Cabelas, Meltons , Bass pro shops etc.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 01:41:28 PM »
Didn't know the Shag also played with flies (apart from the fly!)! Show us some of your creations Sir!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Brendan

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways, Gauteng
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
All good ad-viSe, thanks chaps.  :hyst:  (I crack me up).


Seems there's some thinking I must do. And some saving.


Where else would you lads suggest I look for the tying kit - ie. would you recommend a shop (other than FF'ers Unlimited - I know Murray has everything I would need, and will more than likely use him, if only for his expertise - the man has got mad skillz when it comes to tying) or is there a favourite website you frequent?


Thanks again.  :bow:

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Fly Tying Vises from Overseas
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
I know it's late notice but today 19:00- 22:00 and again tomorrow 09:00 - 17:00 Gordon van der Spuy is doing a beginners fly tying boot camp, it's free and will cover everything you would need to know to get you started on the fly tying road. Being held at UFF on the corner of Rugby and 9th streets in Weltevredenpark.
While you're here you can see a large variety of vice's in action and discuss with imparial users the virtues and benefits of the Renzetti, the Jvice and even the Xplorer crown vice , all rotary vices and all will be used tonight amongst others :)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal