Author Topic: my first attempts at tying flies  (Read 7090 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
my first attempts at tying flies
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »
still learning.......

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »
 :win:

Looks great Ziggs !

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:45:32 PM »
Awesome Ziggy. Looks very professional

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »
 :bow: looking good, very nice!

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »
Ziggy what I know about fly fishing is scary but man those nymphis look awesome.  (clap)
How long does it take to make one?

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »
Looking great there.


If you need some advice I`ve been going to fly tying evenings at Urban FlyFishers they have clinic every Tuesday evening that starts at about 19:00 really worth going.
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »
@Isivubu: with my inexperienced fingers - they take about 20 minutes I suppose! About three times as long as the instructional videos that I have been using on youtube!


@Rory: Thanks, all your fault as you well know! You encouraged me to get kitted out and join the "dark side"!


@Wynand: I live in Durban..... It is amazing how much you can find on the internet, lots of very good instructional videos and articles
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:58:55 AM by Ziggy »

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:02:06 AM »
Well done , looking good  (clap)

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:14:14 AM »
Nice going, you make me look bad. I should have started tying long ago  :blush:
Squid Happens!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Now tie all 8 again - this time try to use exactly half the materials on each fly  :corrct:

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
Now tie all 8 again - this time try to use exactly half the materials on each fly  :corrct:


You mean half the material on the fly and of course the half that I had to junk due to inexperience!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
Thats it, get them a bit "slimmer". Don't stress about junking bits and pieces of material, it comes with the territory. At the end of each year, I have at least a supermarket bag full of off cuts and junk that gets thrown out!

Offline diamonddogs

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 40
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 08:31:31 PM »
As everyone said - very cool. Just for shits - see how thin you can tie them. Seriously - try it as a joke and you will be supper chuffed with the end result. Keep the body thin and the thorax a third of what it is currently.

When you tie in the tail - turn the vise or the hook so you look directly at the top of the hook bend - try and tie the tail in on top of the hook instead of on the side. Not only will this look more natural but who knows - maybe the fly will even swim/drift better.

Also, if you use less feathers for your tail - I think more than 5 is a waste, it will automatically make your body slimmer when you twist the rest of the feather around the hook shank.
Have a look at the natural you are imitating - see if you can count more than 3/4 tail antennae thingymajiks :cnfzd

Less is more...

Nice attempt and well done.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:34:17 PM by diamonddogs »

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
As everyone said - very cool. Just for shits - see how thin you can tie them. Seriously - try it as a joke and you will be supper chuffed with the end result. Keep the body thin and the thorax a third of what it is currently.

When you tie in the tail - turn the vise or the hook so you look directly at the top of the hook bend - try and tie the tail in on top of the hook instead of on the side. Not only will this look more natural but who knows - maybe the fly will even swim/drift better.

Also, if you use less feathers for your tail - I think more than 5 is a waste, it will automatically make your body slimmer when you twist the rest of the feather around the hook shank.
Have a look at the natural you are imitating - see if you can count more than 3/4 tail antennae thingymajiks :cnfzd

Less is more...

Nice attempt and well done.


I followed the patterns as closely as i could - but maybe I used smaller hooks than what they had recommended - I will tie with less materials - I was thinking of stripping those hooks and starting all over again...good practice!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Nice going for first ties. :happ:  I am really impressed. (clap)
 
Don't strip those first flies, keep them in a little box on one side and then pull them out in 6 months time and compare them to what you are then tying. It's always a good ego boost to actually see how far you have improved. :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »
All advice above is very valid, only thing I can suggest as well is to use a pinch wrap when setting the tail etc. in place. Welcome to my obsession.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
All advice above is very valid, only thing I can suggest as well is to use a pinch wrap when setting the tail etc. in place. Welcome to my obsession.


It took a little while to manipulate my fingers with the pinch wrap - but got it taped now!


An obsession indeed!

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 04:48:25 PM »
Well done Ziggy, it's something I always wanted to try, but my fingers are not nimble enough  :+ cred: for what you have tied
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: my first attempts at tying flies
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 07:44:33 AM »
A very good fist attempt. I would eat those.
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal