Author Topic: 4/5 WT FF Reel  (Read 3846 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
4/5 WT FF Reel
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
I had an Xplorere Arbour reel that packed up on Saturday while fishing.


I am looking for an resonably priced Large Arbour reel.


Drag is not really a factor as I am fishing from a float tube 99.5% of the time.


What I do want is a reel that I can get fly line back on the reel ASAP when I have a fish on.


Lost a couple on Saturday due to this...


The spools for the reel needs to be reasonably priced as I have a couple of fly lines...


What suggestions???

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
Have a look at the Xplorere STX .
 
At under 600 bucks , very nice reel and spare spools gonna be under R250.
 
Lichia's 2c
 

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Have a look at the Xplorere STX .
 
At under 600 bucks , very nice reel and spare spools gonna be under R250.
 
Lichia's 2c


Thats the reel that packed up for no apparent reason while fishing...

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:08:02 AM »
How old was the reel ?
 
Get hold of Exploder and see if they can replace it .

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
How old was the reel ?
 
Get hold of Exploder and see if they can replace it .


Cant remember...


Maybe 3 years

Offline Ettienne

  • Oupie
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 357
  • Cred: 23
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sundowner, Gauteng
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »
Howsit. Can you be more specific as to what packed up please?  :dunno:  thank you.
When you are on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you’ll ever get.
Jack Leonard

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
Howsit. Can you be more specific as to what packed up please?  :dunno:  thank you.


If you look at the photo Lichia amia posted


The drag as well as the "pin" where the spool comes in is loose...


Its the best I can describe it for now.


No more drag...


Spool now catch the "housing" when reeling line in.

Offline Ettienne

  • Oupie
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 357
  • Cred: 23
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sundowner, Gauteng
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
Thank you. I have the same reels in 2/3wt and 4/5wt. On the other side you have a retaining cap with a rubber o ring that keeps the spool in place and affects the drag and spool movement. I had to replace my retaining cap becoz i was stupid. duh  Otherwise these are basic solid reels. :rck"
When you are on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you’ll ever get.
Jack Leonard

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: 4/5 WT FF Reel
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
Thank you. I have the same reels in 2/3wt and 4/5wt. On the other side you have a retaining cap with a rubber o ring that keeps the spool in place and affects the drag and spool movement. I had to replace my retaining cap becoz i was stupid. duh  Otherwise these are basic solid reels. :rck"


Why would the reel work during the morning and pack up late afternoon while fishing?


Lost my confidence in the reel...  duh


Have heard to many Xploder stories...  :dunno:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal