Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
FRESHWATER ANGLING
»
Fly fishing
»
wet wading pants
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: wet wading pants (Read 8021 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Ziggy
Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 1672
Cred: 182
Gender:
Teeth that bite!
Location: Durban
wet wading pants
«
on:
June 11, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
anyone know where I can get a pair of good wet wading pants? I have tried a number of different versions of pants and nothing seems to be optimal. I have come to the
conclusion that the following would be the ideal specs:
Light weight and quick drying
tough enough to withstand being ripped by thorns and brambles
tight around the calves to stop the flapping when in a stream (I
once
saw someone with a pair that had velcro to make them tight)
tight so that they don't fill with water and take long to drain - I hate that full of water feeling as you as you step out of the water - maybe some form of drainage?
Able to somehow also act as a gravel guard (although this can be achieved by wearing gravel guards)
reinforced seat and knees
with a waist elastic that is stretchable so when you kneel, they don't constrict your belly. But also, that they dont fall off. Better still, some form of velcro arrangement where you can adjust the waist - avoiding wearing a belt. If elastic, then it should be durable and not lose its stretch
no zips with metal parts that will rust
some useful pockets and a few loops to clip things onto
Am I expecting too much from a pair of pants!!!
Logged
Wynand13
Senior Member
Posts: 285
Cred: 51
Gender:
Location: Krugersdorp
Re: wet wading pants
«
Reply #1 on:
June 12, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
HI Ziggy
I am sure Ultimate Angling will be able to sort you out, what they don`t have they order but they will at least know where you can find what you are looking for.
Logged
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….
UrbanFF
Member
Posts: 108
Cred: 6
Gender:
Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: wet wading pants
«
Reply #2 on:
June 12, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
Hi Ziggy, I came accross these - how do they sound ?
Sonik SK3 Breathable Waders are arguably the best waders on the market for performance versus price.
With a light polyester microfibre 3-ply outer shell with breathable laminate for the main body, the knee and lower leg area is reinforced with a highly durable 5-ply outer shell. With an articulated knee they are cut for comfort and performance. Built-in gravel guards easily clip onto the laces of your boots to prevent stones and grit entering, whilst the adjustable stretch web braces have low profile buckles for comfort when carrying a shoulder bag. Supplied with a wader belt, they can be easily worn at waist height when required. A 3.5mm neoprene stocking foot is taped inside and out and is designed to have a close fit for comfort inside the boots. An internal zippered mesh pocket is provided on the inside front of the waders, together with two D-rings on the front for attachment of chest pack.
Three and five layer breathable laminate fabric.
3.5mm neoprene stocking foot with taped seams.
Built-in gravel guards.
Can easily be worn at waist height.
Two D-rings on front with internal mesh pocket with zipper.
Supplied with wader belt and breathable mesh carry bag.
Logged
Ziggy
Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 1672
Cred: 182
Gender:
Teeth that bite!
Location: Durban
Re: wet wading pants
«
Reply #3 on:
June 12, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »
Thanks for that
I have a pair similar to these already(from Cabela's).
What I am talking about are actual quick drying pants - not breathable waders.
Wading Drakensberg streams in summer - when it is hot, I find the breathable waders a bit too warm. Also when wading the Cape streams (like the Elandspad) one has to do a lot of walking and a bit of scrambling - and again, waders are not appropriate. In these conditions, UV protection and protection from brambles, insects, cuts and scrapes form rocks etc is what I am interested in
I would also like to use them on the Zambezi - and breathable waders are not really appropriate for that either.
A friend had some made - but they were more like pyjama pants and flapped around in the water making wading currents a bit difficult.
Logged
UrbanFF
Member
Posts: 108
Cred: 6
Gender:
Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: wet wading pants
«
Reply #4 on:
June 12, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
Ah I miss understood , for that I have a pair of 1st Ascent pants that are both trouser and shorts , probably not tough enough for your needs but I live in them on the Vaal in the summer, similar to these
http://www.firstascent.co.za/web/product-details.php?prodid=967&catid=247&level=3
in looks but closer to these from a functionality point of view
http://www.firstascent.co.za/web/product-details.php?prodid=1174&catid=247&level=3
Logged
UrbanFF
Member
Posts: 108
Cred: 6
Gender:
Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: wet wading pants
«
Reply #5 on:
June 12, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »
Ignore the 2 above this is the exact pair - just in grey (that's how I missed them in the 1st place :)
http://www.firstascent.co.za/web/product-details.php?catid=247&level=3&prodid=868
Logged
E.T.
Senior Member
Posts: 883
Cred: 87
Gender:
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: wet wading pants
«
Reply #6 on:
June 12, 2012, 02:14:21 PM »
Outdoor Warehouse
Cape Union Mart
Mr. Price Sport - Probably the cheaper option.
Most Fly Tackle Stores carry quick dry pants, expect to pay R650 upwards.
Logged
Koos Eckard Rod Designs
schloshd1
Member
Posts: 278
Cred: 31
Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: wet wading pants
«
Reply #7 on:
June 12, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »
I have used several different brands and have settled on the Cape Storm pants. Far tougher than any others that I have used. Expensive but you get what you pay for.
The K-Way ones also look pretty good as far as quality go but very badly thought out pockets that are pretty much useless. If that doesn't bother you then maybe have a look at those, a bit cheaper than the Cape Storm's too.
Neither of these fit ALL your requirements but I think that they cover most of them. Going to be very difficult to find something that is 100% what you want.
«
Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:02:46 PM by schloshd1
»
Logged
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
FRESHWATER ANGLING
»
Fly fishing
»
wet wading pants
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal