Author Topic: Leader on a straight braid setup  (Read 4827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sylvester

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Leader on a straight braid setup
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
What is the recommended leader length on a straight braid setup. Bearing in mind that I will be fishing "in the bricks". Also casting distance is not an issue as the fish are generally within 50m.


For interest sake it is 50lb braid on a 7000 Penn grinder. I will be using my 110H rod, yes even with its small eyes.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »
Craig, as far as I'm aware, most of the pro's who do this (Barry Wareham, Wally Watt etc) all use a leader of 1m or so, keeping the swivel (or knot) outside the rod tip guide...

Offline Sylvester

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
Craig, as far as I'm aware, most of the pro's who do this (Barry Wareham, Wally Watt etc) all use a leader of 1m or so, keeping the swivel (or knot) outside the rod tip guide...


That is how I have been doing it for the past couple of years, wasn't sure whether I was right or not. Granted I have always used it for drift baiting for elf and throwing spoons. Also concerned about using it that way for the bricks! Reckon I should stick with what I was doing then!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »
Think this is what you're looking for... a GREAT article discussing leader lengths on Fixed spool reels by the master Barry Wareham.

Offline Sylvester

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
Shot for the link!

Offline Angler 1

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 225
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
craig i have been fishing a standard length leader for comp, i use a hundred pound braided leader , it as
lsohelps with the casting if you want to eally load , i fished varkenvlei with a musselcracker waft that i got redone for grinder a nd a tika , had no issue wit the big sandies in the bricks , i use 100lb whiplash, i use the same on my ultegra with 50lb braid as main line and a waft zambezi for heavy grinder we were throwing whole makies against the wind on sat with no issue
 
 
IF YOU NOT LIVING LIFE ON THE EDGE YOU TAKING UP SPACE!!!!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal