Author Topic: Grinder, braid and rod set-up  (Read 9159 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
K guys ... I had a long chat to my friend Charlie R (Durbs based club) and he thinks I need a grinder with braid. Oi vey!! Half Pint ... I think I might beat you at this overwind specialist thing! Anyway, he is coming up to Underberg this weekend and is going to bring his 410 rod (please bear with me ... I'm not sure of the correct terminology) so I can try it on the dam. Eish - very nervous. Major obstacles are hubby and convincing him that I need to spend money on more tackle! My idea is depending on how I managed to cast this set up (oh dear) I will approach my favourite store in Margate to build me a rod and supply a grinder.... frig can't believe I'm contemplating this!!!  Input please.

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
Krissi you won't go wrong here! Especially in comps when we fish for Greys and you need to get over the back bank! The distance is a big plus, but not every one gets that extra distance, it's like with a pen reel, you get guys that can cast 180m+ with it, then you get guys that can barely cast 70meters!So the correct setup and a already good casting technique helps.
The big plus with braid thou, is that you're rig doesn't drift as much as with mono, and you feel everything!! :-)
 
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline Habib

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 243
  • Cred: 56
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pmb
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »
go for it krissi....you will never look back.

and since you have been such a great help to me with transkei info.....i have a spool of saltiga casting braid lying around.....its yours for free (i didnt pay for it and im not gonna use it). so tell hubby he must buy reel for you...the braid is on me.

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:42:27 AM »
go for it krissi....you will never look back.

and since you have been such a great help to me with transkei info.....i have a spool of saltiga casting braid lying around.....its yours for free (i didnt pay for it and im not gonna use it). so tell hubby he must buy reel for you...the braid is on me.

 :resp: (clap)
 
 

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:46:18 AM »
Great gesture Habib!
Krissi believe me the new grinder combos are great. You can really put your back into a cast with no fear of overwinds, this is really great for people fishing leagues where sliding is out. Gremlins build some wonderful rods and you can check mine out in the rods and reels section. Make sure that your friends rod is setup for grinder fishing and that he has an ultegra on there or you will not get the same feeling from it

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
go for it krissi....you will never look back.

and since you have been such a great help to me with transkei info.....i have a spool of saltiga casting braid lying around.....its yours for free (i didnt pay for it and im not gonna use it). so tell hubby he must buy reel for you...the braid is on me.

Wow - gosh - thanks Habib ... that is amazing - I really didn't expect anything but thank you. I am waiting for my friend to phone me back and I will pm you detailed directions for Goss.
 
Hubby has agreed that if I am comfortable, I can get the set-up. 
 
@ Half-Pint - I will get a rod built by Rob - I agree, they do amazing work. Will keep you posted on the progress but it will be a while - I don't get to Margate that often  :-(   Charlie has 3 rods and has been using the grinder for about 3 years now, he is bringing his shortest rod for me to try so I'm 100% sure it will be setup for grinders.
 
I have been fishing with braid on my little reel (multiplier) for 2 years now, so although I haven't caught much with braid (keep missing the bites), I am familiar casting it. After chatting to Charlie, it seems my Assassin Lite is too stiff and I will try it on hubby's Loomis this coming weekend, which is a much softer rod. He also explained to reel into the bite, only strike lightly and all things being good, I should be on!
 
  :rotfl  guess the poor fish were wondering where their tasty little morsel disappeared to cos I was striking as if I was fishing with mono.
 
Just a thought - if SASAA has stopped sliding at their tournaments, wonder how long it's gonna take before braid comes under the spotlight??

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:51:50 AM »
An update - Charlie R brought his m....se big rod (40??/6 - 14,? foot) and Ultegra 1400 up to Und and took me for casting lessons in a dam here. O M W!! That rod was heavy!! My arm is EINA! but, I am stoked! I was getting 100m with a strong side wind. He reckons with a lighter rod and the same reel, I will get a much better distance, so Hubby has agreed - I can get the Ultegra and a rod. It took me a few lob casts to get used to the bionic finger and even towards the end (had to stop - that rod really worked my arm) I still had to think about when to release it. But I am very excited as I think I have conquered my mental block. He tried me casting from a dead drop, but I was getting further with a swinging drop.  :yipee:
 
His is loaded with 50lb Whiplash as backing, 50lb jigman (600m in total), 100lb 8m leader then he puts a swivel and then .8 mono leader (1.5m) - this made the drop a little longer than I am used to, but it didn't take me long to get used to it.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:26:33 AM »
Great to hear Krissi. You will find the t flex blanks are extremely light. Being a full graphite blank with an HMG middle and butt it is easy to hold all day

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »
Great to hear Krissi. You will find the t flex blanks are extremely light. Being a full graphite blank with an HMG middle and butt it is easy to hold all day
Is this a 1 piece or 3 piece blank Half-Pint? I am going to phone Gremlins tomorrow but will only get down there in 2 weeks time  :-(

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:43:38 AM »
Gremlins offer 2 versions of the T flex blank. One is a one piece rod Fritz owns one and can tell you more. They also do 2 3 piece rods called the P5 and P6. Depending on what you want to target this will determine which one to go for. I have the P6 and man am I impressed that thing is a joy to fish with.

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »
Cool ty HP - I will probably go with the 3 piece for travelling purposes - if we fly to Nationals, a 1 piece is a problem. Fritz did PM me when I started this topic, so I will definitely ask his advice.   :tkx:

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
The only guys who know more about the pentagons than Fritz are Rob and Brendan so you will definitely get some good advice there

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
Check out my setup with the P6 in this thread http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,6003.0/wap2.html

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »
Check out my setup with the P6 in this thread http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,6003.0/wap2.html

Wow that is a beautiful rod!! I can already see mine with pink flashing  :yipee:   

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »
go for it krissi....you will never look back.

and since you have been such a great help to me with transkei info.....i have a spool of saltiga casting braid lying around.....its yours for free (i didnt pay for it and im not gonna use it). so tell hubby he must buy reel for you...the braid is on me.

Hi Habib - again, thank you so much for this - I have just told Brendan from Gremlins and he was WOW!! that is awesome! I have just ordered my P5 and Ultegra from him - he needs to know what lb and how much is on the spool - iow - does he need to put backing on the reel or is it 600m? again,  :tkx:

Offline Habib

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 243
  • Cred: 56
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pmb
Re: Grinder, braid and rod set-up
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »
hi krissi

apologies for the late reply. was a bit busy at work. went to go find the braid now and managed to get it. unfortunately there is only 150m of braid. im sure that will be ok? as you can fill the rest with backing. i doubt i will even cast 150m with that set up anyway.

its the saltiga casting braid and its colour coded every 10m. not too sure of the poundage...but looks like in the 45lb region.

how can i get it to you?

i suggest brendon send you the set up with the backing and then you and hubby put it on your self. wind the 150m on first then top it up with backing till its full...then reverse it and wind it back in.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal