Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Shore Angling
»
THE GRINDER REVOLUTION
»
What rod and reel???
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: What rod and reel??? (Read 11219 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Fritz
Retired
Posts: 0
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Durban
What rod and reel???
«
on:
October 01, 2010, 02:23:05 PM »
I have been looking at getting myself a grinder setup for the noneds. Have spoken to some people about this and I am getting more and more confused.
Must I get a solid rod or must it bee a three piece and what reel to get for this outfit .
All input on this matter will be highly apreciated.
Many thanks.
Logged
Poenskop
Ultimate member
Posts: 455
Cred: 35
Gender:
Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #1 on:
October 01, 2010, 03:22:05 PM »
Don't know about the rod, but the reel will have to be the biggest strongest out there. I am thinking 6500 size saltigas and 20000 Stella's. The line capasity will alway's be a problem when you fish for noneds with grinders.
Logged
REEFMAN
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 9766
Cred: 768
Gender:
Location: Jozi
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #2 on:
October 01, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
Fritz... there are not many C/G's that are capable of landing a 50kg shark/ray from the beach... those that are, are very expensive, but are still very limited as to line capacity. Shimano Stella's 10000 and upwards, Saltiga Dogfight and GT6000 are capable of landing a big fish, but are seriously compromised in line capacity when compared with a multiplier. If you hook a 100kg fish, then the C/g has not got enough line on it to play the fish. It's only some seriously skilled anglers that can manage such a feat from the rocks/beach. As far as rods go, there are many 3 piece rods now that are capable of doing whatever a one piece rod can, if not better. From a pure transport point of view and ease of use, I would never own a one piece again, they are just way too impractical.
Logged
REEFMAN
Ultimate Champ
Posts: 9766
Cred: 768
Gender:
Location: Jozi
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #3 on:
October 01, 2010, 03:25:06 PM »
Sorry Louis, we posted at the same time...!
Logged
Action Man
Ultimate member
Posts: 432
Cred: 35
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #4 on:
October 01, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
Fritz my man!
Long time bru how you? Benn a while since I last saw you in our shop?
I've been fishing with the grinder and braid from the beggining of the year and have tested and tried a variety of rods and reels with them as Barry wanted to see what we prefered. The reels we tried were the new Mitchells Avocast 8000 and the Acosurf 800 (they were released to the public yesterday) abd ofcourse the Shiamno Ultegra 14000.
'The rods we tried were the Assassin Beachmaster Spinning, S6 Spinning, Blue Marlin 420/6, and recently the purglass 400/3 one piece and 3 piece.
With the reels the Mitchells were very nice, landed some decent fish in the Sardine run with them but the problem I found with them is that they dont hold enough line. The max 50lb braid we got on them was about 500m. This is one of the reasons why I chose the Ultegra 14000!
The Ultegra can hold upto 700m of 50lb braid but we rather leave it at 650m as we dont like it to full. The other thing the Ultegra has that the mitchel's dont is the instant drag...so every adjustment made with the drag it reacts imediately!
The rod we found that was the best for non-ed fishing was defiantely the Assassin s6 spinning otherwise known as the Heavy. Rated upto 8oz and handles the big fish with ease. I have caught some very big fish on this rod. With the grinder a Standard Graphite Rod is almost a must, as we did snap HMG rods. The casting witht the braid needs a rod with a slower action and that is exactly what the S6 gives you which makes it perfect for the job you looking for.
If you got anymore questions about it, dont hesitate to ask bru! You more than welcome to call me aswel on Zero83 77Five 7687 will help you with pleasure.
thanks Stef
Logged
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!
Action Man
Ultimate member
Posts: 432
Cred: 35
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #5 on:
October 01, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
Just to add what others have said...The Stella's ang Saltiga's used for jigging are not really suitable for what you looking at doing. The shimano Ultegra is the reel you want, I promise bru you will not regret it! If you want I can meet you on the beach one day and give you a reel to and rod to test out, I havnt used a 20 size reel in about 6 months only been using the grinder and I can tell you now I dont think I'm going to ever use my 20's again! It is a very addictive type of fishing, once you feel that bite with the braid you will never look back!
Logged
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!
Action Man
Ultimate member
Posts: 432
Cred: 35
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #6 on:
October 01, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
I forgot to say that a friend and myself have just written an article on the new Mitchells which will be published in the next tight lines magazine so keep an eye out for that...I have another article on my flash drive about the Ultegra 14000 and jigman braid will post that on the site tomorrow night for everyone to read
Logged
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!
Fritz
Retired
Posts: 0
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #7 on:
October 04, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
Reefman, Poenskop
Thanks for your reply, sorry it took so long to respond to them. I had a look at the article in the Tightlines about this and it kind of cleared the reel part of this story. It looks like it is the Shimano Ultegra 14000. But the rod I am still not to sure about. Some guys say one piece and some say three piece ? I will need more info on the rod.
Bigfish and I went to see Action Man at Bassils on the weekend and he was very helpfull ( Thanks Stef.)
Had a long chat to Rob from Gremlins about it and he said that we should come and see him in his shop and go thru all the options and then only can we make a reel decision, I will keep you posted on what happens their.
I have just purchased the smaller brother of the 14000 from Stef, the 5500 for my lighter spinning outfit and will let you guys know how it all went with that reel.
Logged
Stokstyf!
Guest
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #8 on:
October 04, 2010, 05:08:29 PM »
Rod:
Shimano exage spinning 3piecewith 3 tips;
light
medium
heavy
Reel:
Shimano Stella/Saragosa
Daiwa saltiga 6500
Line:
35lb to 55lb braid
Groete
Stokstyf!
Logged
swim
Guest
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #9 on:
October 06, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
Fin-Nor Offshore 9500 - Massive line capacity, good drag, solid reel
Penn 950ss
Tica Cybernetic
The Fin-Nor is one of the biggest spinning reels around and has been proven in offshore angling so I'm sure would handle big sharks land based. It's also a lot cheaper than some of the other reels mentioned in this topic. Not certain but I think it would hold the same if not more amount of line as a daiwa 50 or shimano 30. Great for casting big baits into a head on wind where you can power into the cast and not worry about overwinds.
Logged
Action Man
Ultimate member
Posts: 432
Cred: 35
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #10 on:
October 06, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »
the other reels mentioned in the other posts are very good reels for spinning...the reel fritz it looking for is a surf casting type of reel. The retrievals of the reels are also to quick, you need a slower retrieval reel with high coning affect.
I have tried all types of rods and reels for this type of fishing over the past 10 months and have found the perfect combination. Biggest shark I have landed is a 67kg Spinner in the sardine run and have caught countless number of Diamonds the biggest one being over 70kg all on a grinder an 50 pound braid
Logged
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!
Fritz
Retired
Posts: 0
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: What rod and reel???
«
Reply #11 on:
October 07, 2010, 04:19:17 PM »
Stef is right, I am looking for something that I can catch some sharks and skates with under the 100kg mark, something that I can take up north with me for the dimonds up their. Thats if we should be so lucky as to get one this coming season.
I want to use it in comp time, something that is going to be fast and easy to handel when its needed.
I still apreciate all the input that I am getting from you guys.
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Shore Angling
»
THE GRINDER REVOLUTION
»
What rod and reel???
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal