Author Topic: Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed  (Read 2745 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed
« on: November 29, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
Hi All, I am going on a family holiday to Kenya in January, and am keen to take a rod or two along. I am staying in a spot called Kilifi, near Wattamu. Wattamu is world renowned for its big game offshore fishing, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of fishing from the shore in that part of the world, ideally spinning or flyfishing? Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »
I have no experience of the area at all, but in general, anywhere in Africa (and the rest of the world) where you have a large subsistence economy anywhere near the ocean (or river/lake) without very strict environmental control, there is usually too much pressure on resources to offer up any real chances of recreational fishing. There will be the odd contradiction but not many. Without the controls, one really has to get out of easy reach of the local population in order to have a healthy fishery.


But good luck and please let us know how the trip goes.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
It is a marine reserve in that area - no fishing allowed. And on the edge of the reserve, what FishStyx said above.

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice  - I may try and get out on a deep sea charter if I can, but charters charged in USD don't come cheap, so will have to look into it when I get there

Offline tkei

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1226
  • Cred: 92
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »
What Tim said is correct. In some of the estuary systems ie kilifi and mida Creek at watamu, further up the creeks you can get small kings, snapper etc, but the netting etc really hammers the stocks. I have got a few blue fin kings, gt and snapper in mida but always off a small boat.  Save up and take a charter. The area is very good. 

Offline SPARODON

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 155
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: kzn
Re: Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
In my braver (younger) days i did a month trip up to malindi and eventually lamu island, with only the fly rod and some clothes.  The shore fishing is not worth it because of the subsistence fishermen,  but if you are brave, you can negotiate with some of the locals to take you out on a small boat or even a dhow. If you get far enough from shore, some good light tackle fun to be had.

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Spinning from the shore in Kenya - advice needed
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:58:49 PM »
Thank you for the advice - much appreciated!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal