Author Topic: Hooks and the C&R of shad  (Read 2357 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Vandit

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Hooks and the C&R of shad
« on: September 06, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »

This may be somewhat of a controversial topic:

Just returned from a trip to Cape Vidal and got the following on spoon...
Species count:     2  (Shad and Largespot Pompano)
Fish count:           15 wave garrick and 70 odd shad.


That whole area is boiling with small shad, which TBH was a nuisance.  At some stage I realised the damage I was doing and tried to reduce their by-catch.  I switched to bigger spoons, speeding the retrieve towards the beach in an attempt to elude them. 


Granted that all my catches were returned and I only use singles, the following persisted:


- At least 30 - 40 of the shad I caught were Eye or Gill hooked.
- Before debarbing my hooks, the majority of the fish's  mouths were badly damaged, I specifically recall one whose mouth was about torn off completely.


I'm not extrapolating to other species as smallish shad have soft mouths and the do take bigger spoons that increase the odds of being gill and eye hooked.
I'm just wondering whether the old treble, after being debarbed, may be a more responsible option for targeting these species for C&R, especially when only small ones are around.

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Hooks and the C&R of shad
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
Good topic! When the small shad are around and being a nuisance, it can be sad to damage a bunch of them, when trying to get a bigger fish. Using a bigger lure can be helpful. The Rapala Max Rap 17cm gets a lot of hits from the bigger shad and other predators.
Another option is to use a circle hook on the back of the spoon. You will hook far less smaller fish, as they need to get their mouths over the circle hook, and have a pretty good hook up with bigger fish.


I think that trebles will cause just as much, if not more damage than single hooks.

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Hooks and the C&R of shad
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:28:23 AM »
Ja, I've seen trebles do the most damage to fish..Step up to a larger single, if you are using 1/0 use 3/0. if using 3/0 use a 5/0..Then you should just get hit and hit and be left with teeth marks on the hook until the big one gets the moer in and nails you.

Offline Vandit

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Hooks and the C&R of shad
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »
Thanks,


Will be sure to try the circle hook route! Seems like a quite elegant solution for avoiding smaller fish.


The reasoning for considering the a smaller barbless treble was to actually target these small shad on very light gear.  My reasoning was that a treble hookset would lend more support and stay away from eyes and gill plates, but I see that it may not offset the damage done during removal when the whole treble is swallowed (even when barbless).


I am trying to ascertain whether there is a more responsible way of specifically targeting small shad, keeping in mind that they have to be returned.




 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal