Author Topic: Grinder leader and trace setup  (Read 4681 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline EdCik

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 17
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
Grinder leader and trace setup
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:44:53 AM »
Hi guys.
I am new to R&S. I just bought a grinder setup, it's a Assasin Meduim XL with a Saragossa 25000. Evo wasn't quite in my budget for now might look at one at a later stage. I have put on 900m of JDB 50lbs braid. Now is were the problem comes. What lbs leader and how long should it be? Would a PR Knot be the best for mono to braid for the leader to braid? Next what is the best trace to use for skates, Rays and sharks. Is there one trace for all? Or better to have different traces for each specific species?
You help would be greatly appreciated
Regards Eddie
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:21:24 AM by EdCik »

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Grinder leader and trace setup
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
The PR knot is a giant faff for R&S.

I use the 7 turn uni to figure 8 and have no issues. Otherwise look at the FG knot. Also good but i have never felt the need as the 7 turn uni to figure 8 works fine.

I tend to use an 8/0 with a small 15cm bite trace. This way your greys and milkys wont bite you off but you still have a decent chance of catching some edibles.

Case in point at Mappies 2 years ago I got bitten off twice on flouro presumably by greys or spinners. Third cast i changed to the bite trace and landed 2 kob.... murphys law :rotfl

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal