Author Topic: Kenton on Sea Tips  (Read 23787 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Inkvis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »
Good day Gents,
 
I am currently in the area, but on a "family" holiday, so no fishing.  I am, however, planning a "fishing" holiday for this area for 2016, but am unsure as to what time of year is the best, especially taking into consideration the weather etc. I am convinced that this area must deliver plenty of fish if one actually concentrates on fishing and no family time etc.  I have fished the area once before during September and had some success, but also had to juggle my time between family and fishing.  My planned trip, however, will be fishing only. I have read just about all the posts on ultimate in respect of this area, but somehow could not find any reference to preferred time of year, weather and fishing wise. 
 
Any pointers on time of year for mainly scratching?

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Inkvis , best person to speak to on this would be Walkerskiller (Gareth)

Offline Inkvis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »
Inkvis , best person to speak to on this would be Walkerskiller (Gareth)
Yup, am hoping to get his input.

Offline BigLes

  • Special Child
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 82
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Prepping for the big one!
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2015, 01:16:28 AM »
Hey Inkvis

Avoid December !!! Millions of boats.... lol

To be honest, you can get fish all year round at bushmans...
I preferred winter, very quiet on the river and larger specimens are around, although, December has produced the biggest Kob...

During winter I have seen Big Mussel Cracker (18kg) come out of bushies, Steenbras, Grunter and Nice Kob, but the fish are not as full up as summer months...

Summer you have the quantity over quality in my opinion, in one night we could easily land 15 kob between 5-12kg in the right spot with the right bait... Sharks are also more prevalent during summer months, heard of lots of raggie pups coming out (although I have never seen one)

Hope that helps...

Offline Inkvis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »
Thanks a mil Les! 
In general I try to go on holiday out of season, the less people around, the better! hehe!
 
Are all your references below in respect of fishing from the river/estuary itself? I presume the wind plays less of a role when fishing in the river or estuary?
 
Would you say the same principle in respect of size v quality in winter is applicable to rock and surf?
 
 

Offline David Taylor

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 234
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Greyton, Western Cape
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2015, 06:51:09 PM »
I can't help you a huge amount yet as I only got transport mid April but I am now living in Grahamstown (studying) and I fish most weekends usually saturday and sunday. I sleep in a car park at boknes on the back of my bakkie  :hyst:. Anyway that means I am working stuff out fast so while I can't help you much now by next year I should be able to give you some decent info. PM me if you would like my number.

Offline BigLes

  • Special Child
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 82
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Prepping for the big one!
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »
In all my years there I did very little surf fishing, I used to only catch sand sharks by the million while my buddy next to me catches Steenbras and mussel cracker! Lol

My experience is mostly related to the river and while I have seen beautiful fish come from bushmans surf, I wasn't as lucky... If you read the previous comments from this thread is mention surf baits, I have seen that work.

Can honestly not comment on surf seasons but I can only believe it is similar to the estuary.

My time fishing there was 90% from a boat!

Offline Inkvis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
Thanks Les,
 
I'm sorted with all else.  The guys' posts on ultimate i.r.o the area have been very helpful.  The only outstanding info at this stage is what is the best time of year..  I love catching kob and steenbras and want to plan a trip for a week or two, must just figure out what time of year is the best. I spoke to a local fisherman earlier today who recon Feb - May is the best weather wise and fish wise.  He also said all winter months are fine, his greatest issue with the winter months was the fact that the days are too short as the sun sets too early!!  :hehe:
 

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Hi Inkvis, sorry for the delayed response.

For edibles without a doubt your best months are April, May, September.

For Garrick and Skipjack and Kingies further up the rivers, November to March.

The big Daga Salmon come into the rivers from KZN in June and July.

Non eds, November to January, but flatfish all year round.

If I had to plan a trip I would avoid busy times like December, Easter etc. But my preferred time would have to be September because there are still lots of nice edibles and the Garrick start coming thick in the rivers  :happ:

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else...

Offline Inkvis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »
Thanks a mil Gareth!  your advice is always of great value! If you refer to ed's, I presume it includes steenbras? i.e good times for steenbras will include April, May and September?
Now I can start my planning!
 
I tried to reply on one of the p.m.'s we exchanged earlier, but I get an error message.  Are you aware of any problems or is it just a setting on my side?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
Hmmm thats weird, maybe a connection problem, didnt receive any pm's.

Most of them I have caught, not very big, have been during April and July.  :-)

Offline Inkvis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips Gareth and Les. it is much appreciated.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 07:33:22 AM »
Only senior members and above can send PMs



As a mod you should know this duh

Offline SUPER ADMIN

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 334
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »

 
I tried to reply on one of the p.m.'s we exchanged earlier, but I get an error message.  Are you aware of any problems or is it just a setting on my side?

You've been upgraded to Senior member. PM's will now work.

Offline Inkvis

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 85
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Kenton on Sea Tips
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »
Thank you sir!
 
have a good day!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal