Author Topic: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve  (Read 8755 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:41:11 PM »
Hi


Wanted some input please on rod choice.  I've read up about some of the preferred options (old Exage 10' or 11', Graphcast 5 etc) and discussed with mates their preferences.  I'm pretty settled on staying with spinning gear that meets the basic requirements (2-4 oz lures, min. 50lb braid, nearly locked drags and ability to swing or lift the average fish (4-6kg) without risk to the rod).  I've handled the Black Hole 106 Nano Light which strikes me as a bit too light so I'm giving serious consideration to the Heavy.  It's somewhat overkill on small 'tail but the difficult conditions / kelp / seals require some oomph. 


I know the blanks are light and tough but can they swing / lift fish?  Also what other blanks are worth considering?  I'll be using a 6k reel with hopefully a 10k size being acquired later.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:52:10 AM »
The BH L will be too light for your needs.


The BH 10.6 H is a beast of a different kind.


I cast upto 150g Cubera poppers without any problems and will be no problem lifting a fish you mentioned.


Had the Exage 10ft S qnd have the 11ft H C here has well. 

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:54:41 AM »
would an HMG rod not snap lifting fish straight up at a place like rooikrans?
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »
would an HMG rod not snap lifting fish straight up at a place like rooikrans?


Thanks Gerhard - so not too stiff for casting 2-4oz plugs & metals? How would you compare it too the Exage 110H (thinking blank here)?

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:26 AM »
would an HMG rod not snap lifting fish straight up at a place like rooikrans?


Thanks Gerhard - so not too stiff for casting 2-4oz plugs & metals? How would you compare it too the Exage 110H (thinking blank here)?


If you want a long distance casting setup...

You put 40lb braid on a Sustain 6000 reel and put a 3-4 oz plug or spoon on the leader... :hnthnt:

It launches over the horizon and it becomes hard work bringing the lure back cause you just keep winding...

The Exage blank is good but not close to the quality of a BH 10,6H.

You dont nees to build a rod as the 10,6H is an exceptional quality factory build rod and its available in SA.... w;k

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
would an HMG rod not snap lifting fish straight up at a place like rooikrans?


Hi Marthin - as far as I understand their has been a major innovation in the resins used which incorporate nano particles (or whatever!) and result in a 40% increase in blank strength.  The Black Hole blanks use this stuff - also I think that mostly lower mod materials are used in these rods.  I was playing with a Sensation 8' yesterday retailing for R550 which used this resin - unbelievably light and practically speaking unbreakable in normal use, even including high-sticking.  The sales guy held the tip and I pulled it almost as hard as I could - I wouldn't have been able to break it - not bad for a rod rated to cast up to 2 oz!  Not sure if any of the local surf rod manufacturers (Blue Marlin, Purglass etc) are using this resin but once they do they could build thinner, stronger blanks.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 07:34:14 AM »
Most of the guys fishing there fish multipliers .


I do think you will manage with a grinder , and am sure there might be guys down there with grinders already .


Some of them have cut down rods . 10 or so cm of the tip .


I think you should PM Prinsplugs [ he's a member here too and ask him , I know they fish there often . ]


I would also suggest that in this case , you don't need a extremely expensive rods and reels , but more of a workhorse thats a bit 'beefed up .


I would reckon the exage 10 or 11 perfect , if not , then clip the tip with 5 to 10 cm and see .


enjoy !
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 07:37:25 AM »
Hi Gerhard


I'm going to look at a factory rod this week - I guess a build wouldn't save much money anyway although I had a blue and gold thread thing in mind to match the 'tail and a 5500H Expedition I absolutely cannot afford!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »
Hi Gerhard


I'm going to look at a factory rod this week - I guess a build wouldn't save much money anyway although I had a blue and gold thread thing in mind to match the 'tail and a 5500H Expedition I absolutely cannot afford!

Problem with a custom build rod is that the guy building it needs to know what he is doing or you will not enjoy the rod.



This is how the rod loads with a 4,5oz popper

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 07:49:13 AM »
Most of the guys fishing there fish multipliers .


I do think you will manage with a grinder , and am sure there might be guys down there with grinders already .


Some of them have cut down rods . 10 or so cm of the tip .


I think you should PM Prinsplugs [ he's a member here too and ask him , I know they fish there often . ]


I would also suggest that in this case , you don't need a extremely expensive rods and reels , but more of a workhorse thats a bit 'beefed up .


I would reckon the exage 10 or 11 perfect , if not , then clip the tip with 5 to 10 cm and see .


enjoy !


Thanks Lenny!  Issue is that the 'right' Exage is unobtainable now or will cost R2k (last one in a retail store) - I don't want to pay over the odds just because they are so popular.  They come up 2nd hand sometimes but again I don't want to wait around hoping.


I've looked at other off the shelf options and nothing really sticks out.  Berkeley Copperhead is ok but rubbish guides and not cheap.  I know a guy who uses a 9' Tiralejo and 6k Saragossa in the Reserve and he does well with it - advantage is it will work off the boats too.  Problem is that for the surf it's too short for distance casting...


I can use a multiplier but I like watching my lure not worrying about line lay!


By the way I've met Claude - good guy and a solid entrepreneur!

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 07:51:52 AM »

Problem with a custom build rod is that the guy building it needs to know what he is doing or you will not enjoy the rod.



This is how the rod loads with a 4,5oz popper


Thanks Gerhard, that's helpful!

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
Most of the guys fishing there fish multipliers .


I do think you will manage with a grinder , and am sure there might be guys down there with grinders already .


Some of them have cut down rods . 10 or so cm of the tip .


I think you should PM Prinsplugs [ he's a member here too and ask him , I know they fish there often . ]


I would also suggest that in this case , you don't need a extremely expensive rods and reels , but more of a workhorse thats a bit 'beefed up .


I would reckon the exage 10 or 11 perfect , if not , then clip the tip with 5 to 10 cm and see .


enjoy !


Thanks Lenny!  Issue is that the 'right' Exage is unobtainable now or will cost R2k (last one in a retail store) - I don't want to pay over the odds just because they are so popular.  They come up 2nd hand sometimes but again I don't want to wait around hoping.


I've looked at other off the shelf options and nothing really sticks out.  Berkeley Copperhead is ok but rubbish guides and not cheap.  I know a guy who uses a 9' Tiralejo and 6k Saragossa in the Reserve and he does well with it - advantage is it will work off the boats too.  Problem is that for the surf it's too short for distance casting...


I can use a multiplier but I like watching my lure not worrying about line lay!


By the way I've met Claude - good guy and a solid entrepreneur!




Never met him , but see his stuff  on FB.
Copper head IMO is not gonna be enough rod for that situation ...
At 2 k , you can get Warricks boet to built you a custom rod ... 300/4 300/5 or what what does the experts say?


I have to admit , that the fishing field and the new developments in rods and reels , makes for interesting threads on the forum ....
Can you imagine going down there with a Penn 49 and 50 lbs line .... as silly as it seams back in the day [ and I am sure today still theres a few diehards fishing like that ]


I will agree , that with the technology used today , thats a very hard to get the right stick ...


Lekker thread .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »
I looked at the BH 10'6" - lovely stick but at R6.3k not a runner and even a build will be the guts of R5k so too much.  Looked at Barry W.'s old and new heavy Shoregame rods and they are beauts but just felt too long for rock-hopping.  Settled on a 9' Tiralejo - good for the boat, handy on the rocks and after a session in the Reserve casting with a 6K spinning reel I'm not worried about distance.  Now I just have to bend it on a 'tail! 


Thanks for all your feedback and advice.   

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Yellowtail spinning rod LB Cape Point Reserve
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
I looked at the BH 10'6" - lovely stick but at R6.3k not a runner and even a build will be the guts of R5k so too much.  Looked at Barry W.'s old and new heavy Shoregame rods and they are beauts but just felt too long for rock-hopping.  Settled on a 9' Tiralejo - good for the boat, handy on the rocks and after a session in the Reserve casting with a 6K spinning reel I'm not worried about distance.  Now I just have to bend it on a 'tail! 


Thanks for all your feedback and advice.


Ha ha ha Lekker , yo ushould have been here , today fish are thick at krom  and has been for 2 weeks , good proper fish 10 to 15 kg class. But greeting to deep for topwater action .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal