Author Topic: Stella 6000 2013 range  (Read 4180 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gazzad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kyalami Estate, Johannesburg
Stella 6000 2013 range
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »

Hi Everyone
It's that time of year were there is an imminent Xmas present from me to me, if you know what i mean??
I really like the look of the new Stella 6000, as I already have the Stella 5000, 4000 and 3000 in 2008 models, and have loved every second I've fished with all of them, however, I've been cautioned on the 2013 range, by a source for whom his fishing prowess and knowledge I have a great respect for!
I would value some insight on people's opinions or experiences with the new Stella Range? You could buy a small farm at the current Stella costs and thus want to go into the purchase knowing I've explored every aspect of its efficiency and reliability??


Shot guys!!

Offline comm29

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
Hi Gazzad

I have both, the 5000 SW (Gold) and the 6000 SWB (black)

Smoothness
New Stella - not as smooth (I read plenty reviews including Alan Tani's re the whole free spinning vs tight tolerances and the seals story) - old 5000 definitely smoother.

Cost
Like you said the new one is really pricey, but you would probably battle to find an old sw now.

Capacity
I spooled 25 lb on my 6000 but had to put backing (whiplash was again pricey, say R200 extra) and you have a join in the line now and further that Tuna that was landed on the south coast was stopped on a Stradic 5000 within 300m. (so the whole capacity argument might be invalid)

Another option
you can try get a 6000 spool for the old Stella (Ive only seen a few on ebay)

Drag cap
just my observation but the drag adjustment cap is quite "tight", I actually had an incident where I put the spool on, tightened the cap and the spool was not actually all the way down, cast twice and obviously with the incorrect line lay got two huge windknots and lost like 50m of gosen. Not the reels fault but definitely something I observed.

Overall
That being said, the 6000 takes 300m of Jigman 40lb perfectly - would be great for medium setup. Everything else I am really happy with, the handle / knob is great, overall quality seems normal Stella standard.

Also if you are buying anything better than a Stradic (which in my mind is a perfect cost vs performance option) you are doing so because you enjoy having the best and I am really happy with the reel.

I see that you are in JHB, I have both up here, if you want to compare at leeukop just drop me a pm.

Oh ja - check out the Saltiga 3500 expedition

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:49:03 PM by comm29 »

Offline comm29

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:48:15 PM by comm29 »

Offline Gazzad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kyalami Estate, Johannesburg
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
That's awesome, thank you! I'm at kyalami estates, so would love to take you up on your kind offer!
I'll pm during the week, and your insight is very much appreciated!!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »
Great info Comm29!  :+ cred:

The both of you need to pitch at the Social at Leeuwkop on the 6th Dec....  (bat Would be nice to meet you guys...
Comm, bring that Saltiga you have for sale with... I might be interested...  :hnthnt:

Offline Gazzad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kyalami Estate, Johannesburg
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
I'm in Reefman!! Social sounds awesome, please be so kind to let me know the details?

Offline comm29

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 08:38:19 PM »
as it currently stands I actually can make the social (for a change) so I will come through - will be nice to put some faces to names.

Reefs - sorry the DF is sold, was a nice reel - just have my eye on a few other options

Gazzad - I think the Social is 6 Dec, check this topic under the socials section, "Year end GP Social - 6th Dec - Leeuwkop"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:38:51 PM by comm29 »

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:35:09 AM »
I have a few of the 2014 stellas there's nothing wrong with them. Are they a huge improvement over the 2008 version? not really but how do you improve on something that was dam near perfect anyway?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:52:08 AM »
I'm in Reefman!! Social sounds awesome, please be so kind to let me know the details?

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=18700.0

Please put your names down for catering arrangements. Tx.

Offline Gazzad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kyalami Estate, Johannesburg
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »
I never really considered it that Way cam?! I suppose it difficult to make corrections to Perfect?? Appreciate your insight


@reefman- unless I'm being "doof"- the link doesn't allow me to advise on my attendance? But would love to be there, thank you


Regards gents


Gareth

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »
No problem bud all the super spinners had teething issues the 2008 Stella had an off balance rotor on its launch that need to be corrected. The current version of the saltiga had a tendency to leak it's magic magnetic oil everywhere and more than a few of its rotors broke as well all of which has been corrected. The latest stella had movement in the rotor on some of the launch reels again it's been corrected.

It doesn't matter which brand you choose in that category they are both flagship reels and will do what's expected of them.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »
Gareth,


Did you get you Stella 6000?

Offline Gazzad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kyalami Estate, Johannesburg
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
I did indeed Gerhard!!
I can't wait to try it out for the 'Tail off  Rooikrantz or God willing a double digit GT on some remote island paradise!!
Starting to think I have a tackle addiction and will probably have to seek professional help!!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
I did indeed Gerhard!!
I can't wait to try it out for the 'Tail off  Rooikrantz or God willing a double digit GT on some remote island paradise!!
Starting to think I have a tackle addiction and will probably have to seek professional help!!


You will find a good support group here... Many of us are afflicted. I think it's the most awesome form of retail therapy   :frid


Hope you get that new baby singing soon.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:19:43 AM by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
I did indeed Gerhard!!
I can't wait to try it out for the 'Tail off  Rooikrantz or God willing a double digit GT on some remote island paradise!!
Starting to think I have a tackle addiction and will probably have to seek professional help!!


Congrats!!


Spinning at Rooikrantz...


Trip report with photos or it did not happen... :crzy


About TA.... Welcome to the club mate.. :hnthnt: :hnthnt:

Offline Gazzad

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kyalami Estate, Johannesburg
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 07:41:50 PM »
Thank you Gerhard
Was down in cpt from 7th to 14th December
Worked very hard in  Simonstown, but regrettably no fish
The Tail were pretty thick the week before and the week after my trip
A Tail off the bricks caught with a plug or spoon is the top of my bucket list, and for 6 years I have blanked in my hunt for them!
[/size]I've caught them off the boat, but there is something romantic       about catching them off the likes of Rooikrantz
I can remember reading articles of the Old Salt Sea Dogs catching them off the bricks as a kid and I think I've epitomized in my mind the idea, and I'm determined not to quit!!


Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Stella 6000 2013 range
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »
Man thats a bummer...


Sounds like my quest for my 1st GT.


Keep casting and it will come together ... w;k


I have red those same stories about spinning from the Kranz as a kid ...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal