Author Topic: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?  (Read 5172 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
My mate Matt suggested a visit to the Western Cape spinner (or spoon for those of us who grew up east of the Breede) maestro, Steve Champion.  So yesterday I picked Matt up and soon we were parking in Carissa road.  In response to a loud 'Hi Uncle Steve' the man himself stepped out of his workshop/double garage and invited us in.  Matt told me not to touch anything as Steve has a system for everything which must not be disrupted.  I looked around and being a total lure freak my brain instantly fried...the pics don't do this particular Aladdin's Cave justice - I could have taken 5 more pics and not covered everything.   I  was in spoon heaven...


end of part 1...



 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:15:00 PM by allsorts »

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:27:12 PM »
Every rafter had rows and rows of spoons, each with a backing card giving details of designer and fish caught amongst other things.  Some had the pre-bent wires hanging for the next pouring session.   As we got chatting it became clear that Steve is extremely organised and he keeps meticulous records of what his visitors (2000 so far) bought and when.  He says that he can tell you exactly what spoons you bought on what day, even if it was 10 years ago!  I totally believe him! 


He has a collection 500 moulds (many made from plaster of Paris) and the contents of the workshop, Steve's notes and memory are truly a national treasure.  He plans to write a book but is still too busy - at 80 years young - making spoons to sit down with his ghost writer and get it done.


Hanging on nails are fascinating items and momentos, like the biggest (handmade) swivel I have ever seen (apologies for crappy pic) and a treble extensively modified by a big yellowtail he caught...


end of Part 2, part 3 to follow tomorrow...

 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:27:57 PM by allsorts »

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:44:14 PM »
 (clap) Thanks for sharing. It must be fascinating to sit and listen to his stories of the fishing years ago. I can't wait for part three.  :Like:

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:46:29 PM »
Credit due to not only THE MAN  himself, but also to you too for taking the time to bring to the fore such a man. We take too often without giving credit to those who through their trials have given us shortcuts to success. Such a collection of ashley reeds (spelling?), I have never seen.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:43:39 AM »
 :+ cred:
Wow, thanks for sharing!

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:09:24 AM »
Wow this is great thanks for sharing.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:09:51 AM »
Wow ... not much one can say and I don't even like lure fishing

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »
 :tkx: so interesting, but what would a giant swivel like that be used for, :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:35 AM »
Very cool!

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:14 AM »
May this mans legacy be captured in a book!
Legendary

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
Wow.. need to see this one day...this is AWESOME.....thanks for sharing!! (clap)

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »
So we got around to talking about catching yellowfin tuna at Rooikrantz...  I asked Steve what he knew about Jackie Wheeler's monster.  He laughed and said that the normal practise if someone spotted tuna was to reel in as fast as you could because the tuna at the time were often over 100lbs and guaranteed to break tackle.  Apparently Jackie's tuna gear had been sponsored by Lemke's for the purpose of landing one of these big tuna.  Due to the big Tatler 4 being used and the necessity for the long cable trace (to avoid being cut-off by the tuna's tail), Jackie had to side-cast and could only get out about 40m.   As we all know the plan came together and Jackie's land-based >70kg YFT stands as one of the greatest catches in land-based sportfishing history.


Naturally Steve set out to get a tuna and for 3 'bloody' years he took a tuna rod up and down the Krantz without a shot at a tuna.  Then one day, after a totally blank morning he decided to have a few practise casts with his tuna rig.  He'd loaded the Policansky with 50lb odd pound Perlon and didn't want to cast too much for fear of stretching the line.  His first cast was at noon and at 12.15 he hooked a tuna out of the blue.  'God meant me to get that tuna', he said.  After a few alarming moments when he overdid the drag and was pulled off his bum (big fish fought sitting down for safety reasons) he was able to kill the fish in 19 minutes.   


     

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing , I have been on of the 2000 visitors to his garage .


Uncle Steve is a very good fisherman too .


I suggest if any one can get some of his elf / leer is spinners the tin/ red copper baby bend , buy the lot , you will not be sorry .
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:45:04 PM by Lenny »
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
Legendary... thanks for sharing
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
Given that Steve has 500 moulds, I started wondering what spoons were the most popular of time?  Well, Steve being Steve there is a way of answering the question...just look at the 'Top 24 Board'!


Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
More of Steve's 'Top 24 Spoons'...


The observant will see that the numbering ends at 25 but there is no 24...a mystery that will have to wait until my next visit to solve.

Offline baber101

  • Nothing beats a day fishing
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 08:29:47 AM »
Hi

How do one arrange for a visit to this gem? It just moved to the top of my list of to do items?

Fishermen like that must be remembered with a statue?

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »
Send me a PM when you are headed down to Cape Town - might be able to help...

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: I visit Aladdin's Cave - who knew it was in Ottery?
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 08:06:41 PM »
Nice.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal