Author Topic: Fly casting - different casts and techniques  (Read 2321 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Fly casting - different casts and techniques
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:34:59 PM »

Can you do the following casts:
Pile cast
Tuck cast
Wiggle cast
Aerial mend
Reach cast
Curve cast
Roll cast
Slack line cast


See this site - for the above and many other casting tips and techniques. I learnt a lot form going through the various video clips

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »

Can you do the following casts:
Pile cast
Tuck cast
Wiggle cast
Aerial mend
Reach cast
Curve cast
Roll cast
Slack line cast


See this site - for the above and many other casting tips and techniques. I learnt a lot form going through the various video clips

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540

Ziggy out of all of those I only recognise  the roll cast  which is the first cast I learned, and still feel should be the first cast taught taught to any aspiring f/f.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
Herman - you will probably be as surprised as I was  to see that you know more than just the roll cast - I thought so too until I went through the clips - I have been flyfishing for 35 years and over that time I intuitively developed some casting techniques to solve problems - turns out that many of those have names!







Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:50:33 AM »

Can you do the following casts:
Pile cast
Tuck cast
Wiggle cast
Aerial mend
Reach cast
Curve cast
Roll cast
Slack line cast


See this site - for the above and many other casting tips and techniques. I learnt a lot form going through the various video clips

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAFFE1BA2E6932540

Ziggy from your list there, I use the roll cast and wiggle cast plenty, and the tuck as well. Like you say, what would be considered on the water improvised casting, some bloke has a name for it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:51:31 AM by Rory »

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fly casting - different casts and techniques
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:04:34 AM »
Very cool, never knew they had names, I use the tuck cast and roll cast quite a bit.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal