Author Topic: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish  (Read 8908 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
Those that know me know that I love off-shore fly fishing, which is one of my specialties.
It has been very difficult to get flies big enough to attract Game Fish, yet light enough to cast.
One of the species on my bucket list is a Sailfish on fly.

Here is a Tube Fly I have just made, which can allow for separate rigging where I can use smaller and short shank hooks and even tandem rig to negate the problem of long shank hook which the fish work loose.

The fly is 12cm long the head has a 1cm diameter and only weigh's 2grams, has a concave head like a Kona to push a lot of water, and can be cast with a 9wt, but best on a 12wt. It will be used with intermediate line.

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
I must try and get into this for Hells Gate while the Big Guns are out on the Slide -
I can scratch around doing Salt Water Fly Fishing.
I am sure the small Kings in the rip will hit this your fly big time.

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
That looks really really good. Wish I had the tying skills. Do you think you could fish it on top water like a popper?
 
And I bet you it will also drive tigerfish and bass absolutely mad!

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 02:32:03 PM »
That looks really really good. Wish I had the tying skills. Do you think you could fish it on top water like a popper?
 
And I bet you it will also drive tigerfish and bass absolutely mad!

Eish you read my mind.  :geet
No as it is there in the pic it will not pop, it will create a bubble trail and swim just sub surface.

BUT.......  :hehe: it is a Tube Fly which means that all I do is add a foam head in front of the fly on the line and it becomes an instant popper.  :happ:


This is a big fly intended to fish fast, may be too much for Bass or Tigers..... :dunno:

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
wow that nice Mike.

You know that is the only aspect of angling I've never done and know very little off, apart from watching it on tele

I do all the rest :-)

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:32:25 PM »
wow that nice Mike.

You know that is the only aspect of angling I've never done and know very little off, apart from watching it on tele

I do all the rest :-)

Its a real passion for me

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
Its a real passion for me

one day you can teach me...I can lay out a 6wt no problem....but for the heavier stuff your gonna have to show me

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »
one day you can teach me...I can lay out a 6wt no problem....but for the heavier stuff your gonna have to show me

Just learn to double haul, and remember the 7-9m rule

Ricko

  • Guest
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:26 AM »
Howzit Guys,

Have a look on the web for Cam Sigler Tube flies and of course the BIG Flashy Profile flies we use for Sailies and Marlin.

What material is the head made out of?

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
Howzit Guys,

Have a look on the web for Cam Sigler Tube flies and of course the BIG Flashy Profile flies we use for Sailies and Marlin.

What material is the head made out of?

This fly caught a 40+ Saily yesterday.

The head is made from Resin.

Ricko

  • Guest
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
awesome fish , where about?


Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »
awesome fish , where about?

Just waiting for the pics and my report will follow.

Offline Awief

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 191
  • Cred: 23
  • Gender: Male
  • Born 2 Fish
  • Location: Richards Bay - Indonesia - China - Brazil
Re: A Fly for Off-Shore Game Fish
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »
FA - Mike congratulations well done .......jy ken van!!! fshg
Cheers
Awie
Cheers,
Awie Fourie (Living Waters)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal