Author Topic: Fly Tying - The essentials  (Read 6604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Fly Tying - The essentials
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
Hey guys,

Been wanting to get started since our last fly tying evening, but theres just sooooo much info out there...

What are the essentials that a beginer needs, equipment and materials please !
 :pray:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
Get a vice, thread bobbin, hackle pliers, some good scissors and a bottle of superglue to start. Then come and raid my tying boxes to get a feel of what flies you want to tie before splurging on materials!  :corrct:

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Get a vice, thread bobbin, hackle pliers, some good scissors and a bottle of superglue to start. Then come and raid my tying boxes to get a feel of what flies you want to tie before splurging on materials!  :corrct:

 :udman:

Thanks Rory !

Any specific make vice that will last a while ?

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
.....Any specific make vice that will last a while ?

The million ront question!!
 
Most vices if looked after, should last you for years. I'm sure we had a thread discussion on this a while back when you were MIA??

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »
yup, we did...
Thought you may have changed your mind...

:lolo:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
Well in all honesty, the vice I'm currently using is slowly driving me to drink, its time for a replacement. Its given me about 15 years service, but the steel used for the jaws is too mild, and I'm constantly re-bending them in my bench vice, not a pretty sight. So I'm in the same boat as you re a vice, I need to do a little homework here....

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »
Keep me posted !

But 15 years, thats not bad at all !

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »
Homie - Rory is going to lead you down a dark path! Since he encouraged me to start tying flies, I have spent a fortune! However, I am enjoying it immensely, and my indicator for that is that it drives my wife crazy, saying that I spend more time at the vice than with her - and that I spend more money on materials than on things that we can both do!


As I mentioned to Rory in another thread, my GPS always leads me to fly fishing shops with a range of materials.


A simple answer about materials is that you will never, ever  have the variety that you want!


I have found that I always am missing something - especially when following patterns.


take a look at the youtube tuts by Jamie McPhail - some of which are here - I found him really helpful Tying a Catskill style Dry Fly with Davie McPhail


I would say its useful to start off with Tom Sutcliffes suggestions about materials - see his book "the elements of fly tying"

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
Thanks Ziggy, will definitely get the book !

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
I got my "Sunrise" tying kit from Mias about 5 years ago. Vice, bobbin holder, hair stacker, whipfinish tool, picker etc. for about 450 Rond.
I'm still using it, but am now battling to hold hooks smaller than #18. ( Jaws are worn ).
 
As for books, you can't go wrong with : Fly Tying for Beginners by Peter Gathercole for the basics of tying.
 
As for materials, firstly decide on which fly you want to tie, then buy ONLY the materials for that fly. Then decide on the 2nd fly and do the same. By the time you've decided on your 10th fly you will have enough materials to tie 100 different flies, believe me.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Cool, gonna go have a look this weekend !

Thanks guys

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
HI Homie


I recently got a kit from Urban Fly fishers, cost my about R1000 but that included everything and enough materials to get me going, you can get away a lot cheaper there as well.
A good Vice is important but get a set first see if you like it and then go on.
Why not join one of their tying evenings on a Tuesday, they have spare equipment for you to use, and see if you like it, that is how I got hooked. Have a look at: goo.gl/lzPp0


Fly fishers Unlimited sells Renzetti and High end gear if you have the money, but I would recommend going to a few tying evenings first.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:46:51 AM by Wynand13 »
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »
On the Topic of Vices. I have some of these on my wishlist...


http://www.jvice.com/ and they are local...  :ayb
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:50:07 AM by Wynand13 »
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: Fly Tying - The essentials
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
I started with a Explorer cheap set and with the help of a fly tying evening with Tom Sutcliffe and a bunch of you tube videos over the year felt I have gotten good enough to upgrade my vice.
So I order a rotary vice.
Practice makes perfect when it comes to fly tying and then it becomes an obsession and a frustration for your better halve.


Brian
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal