Author Topic: Port t Johns 2nd Beach  (Read 4589 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
Hi, I am going to Port st Johns for a long weekend in about 2 weeks time. Can anyone tell me what the fishing is like at 2nd beach area? Is there any action in the lagoon at 2nd beach, or will that be a waste of time?
I am taking my family down, so fishing time will be limited, and I am only taking my spinning/dropshot kit along. Any advice on the area, species to target at this time, as well as lure selection would be greatly appreciated. I might get some time to fish the Umzimvubu mouth one morning, any advice on fishing there would be appreciated too!
regards, and tight lines
John

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »
Zambis are full up at 2nd beach!

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
Hi, I am going to Port st Johns for a long weekend in about 2 weeks time. Can anyone tell me what the fishing is like at 2nd beach area? Is there any action in the lagoon at 2nd beach, or will that be a waste of time?
I am taking my family down, so fishing time will be limited, and I am only taking my spinning/dropshot kit along. Any advice on the area, species to target at this time, as well as lure selection would be greatly appreciated. I might get some time to fish the Umzimvubu mouth one morning, any advice on fishing there would be appreciated too!
regards, and tight lines
John

Fish along the rocks to the south of Second Beach. We have had great fun their with light tackle. I will advice you not to carry to much stuff with you. The place has gone backwards in the last couple of years.

Offline tkei

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1226
  • Cred: 92
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
Khaliq,
It is very sad what has happened at 2nd beach. Its the most dangerous beach in the world at present. The population there dont seem to mind though. Within a few hrs of the most recent attack everyone was back in the water carrying on as if nothing was wrong, even though the beach was CLOSED. Were they showing any respect for themselves, the dead or the life guard who may have to save them.
1/2pints comment was exactly what I thought when i read the 1st post. Not to be crude, but due to the fact that it seems to be the zambi's bait of choice of late there. The attacks arnt just nips to see what this thing is, but savage attacks to eat what they find. This isnt usual shark behavior. Maybe too much MOOTI in the sea there.

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Fritz, do you mean the crime in the area is bad? I don't want to be hassled too much on the beach, as I have a 2 year old with me! Will it be safe for my wife and kids on the beach there, or do the locals make a nuisance of themselves!
Please advise, if anyone has been there recently!

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
Fritz, do you mean the crime in the area is bad? I don't want to be hassled too much on the beach, as I have a 2 year old with me! Will it be safe for my wife and kids on the beach there, or do the locals make a nuisance of themselves!
Please advise, if anyone has been there recently!

Look, to tell you the truth. We have always been a bunch of guys going their. So we did not realy mind what was going on because we coulod look after ourselves to a degree. But I woulod say this again the place has changed a lot. If I was you and I had to go with what you have told me then a big no. But you have other places to go. What about Selika?

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 04:04:14 PM »
Thanks Fritz,
Rather be safe than sorry, I'll take my family to Rocky Bay or something, and go the Transkei route when other families can join us.
Just thought it would be nice to take them somewhere new. Appreciate your input! Where is Selika?

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
Thanks Fritz,
Rather be safe than sorry, I'll take my family to Rocky Bay or something, and go the Transkei route when other families can join us.
Just thought it would be nice to take them somewhere new. Appreciate your input! Where is Selika?

Selika is the Nature reserve at PJS. Beach their is just around the corner from 2nd beach. Also very good fishing their and very good on the low tide for light tackle. Have you had a look at Umghazi ? Just south of PJS. Very nice their and the place caters for the litle ones. Bit pricy but really wurth while. Been going their for a while now and will keep on doing so.
 

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »

Also see
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,5785.msg77448.html#msg77448

Generally fishing in public places around PST Johns is not recommened.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys! Umngazi really looks awesome, and many friends have recommended it, but I just can't justify the R500 and some change that they want to charge me for my 2 year old per night! Can't see the value in that!
PH - awesome info there, thanks for that, don't know how I missed it! Will be going to Umngazana later this year!
Once again, thanks guys, I have decided to go elsewhere, and hopefully the fish decide to go there too, need to stretch my arms a bit!

rooiwil

  • Guest
Re: Port t Johns 2nd Beach
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
hi there!!! no need to bother about second beach..there is lots of other greats spots.....maybe stay at the spotted grunter resort .its not expensive and right next to the river..great for the family..you can also take the family to poenkop just  to the north or umghazana just south of psj...if you need didections to the spots give me a shout....IT MUCH BETTER THAN  ROCKY BAY!!!!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal