Author Topic: Transkei Estuary visit  (Read 7448 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Transkei Estuary visit
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
Hey happy new year UA'ers, sorry to have been quiet for a bit, but it has been family time... I do hope that 2013 is a brilliant year for all on UA and would like to wish the best to you all, and especially those who I have been fortunate to meet such as Mike Pike, Homie and of course Reefz.
 
I had the good fortune to have a few days down in the Transkei this week, having got home yesterday from a little estuary fishing excursion. We didn't have great weather by any means, lots and lots of rain, and quite a bit of wind, mainly South Westerly, but North East on our last day. Anyway, it is a priviledge to spend time on those rivers, whatever the conditions, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself anyway!

 
The Transkei is just the perfect place to take kids to, and we were lucky enough to share our time there with  Mike bremner and his son Luke, who is 5 and is mad about fishing. Very good to see this little oke putting in the hours, and he got some nice fish too, including a really good perch.
My mate Brad Cartwright got his lekker 14lb Kob below on a Berkley Pearl Blue Shad 5" Dropshot, which was a great fish to catch on light tackle.

I am pretty sure that most regular viewers of Inside Angling would have noticed by now that we have a new sponsor on board: Pure Fishing, who bring in Penn, Berkley, Sebile etc. have joined us and I have been fishing with their tackle for a few weeks now. Anyhow, that is what we were using on this trip and it was great for the job. Brad also got this Perch, which he caught on a Sebile Splasher popper, a very nice estuary lure.

 I was lucky enough to get a spotted grunter on a Sebile Slim Stick, and a nice springer on a dropshot, along with some perch on the Splasher as well.
All in all a lekker little get away, but very frustrating with all the rain!
 
Anyway, I hope to see some good fishy stories from our members over 2013, and wish you all the best for the year!

Offline AQUAFAN

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 103
  • Gender: Male
  • Work hard - fish harder!!
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:59:53 AM »
Excellent fish there Tommo - very little can compare to the feeling of fighting a fish on light tackle in the serenity of an estuary!
That estuary is beautiful and I have goose-bumps imagining wading through the warm water whilst flicking a lure every now and then!
Mind if I asked you which estuary this was?

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:48 AM »
All the best to u too Tommo... TL
Great report  and catches ...

Cheers


Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:23 AM »
Thanks for the best wishes and Tkei report, Tommo. All the best to you as well.
I had great fun fishing with lures recently and am starting to use them more often now. Great fun! (And not smelly).
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:26:55 AM »
Awesome stuff Tommo!!!!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »
All the best to you and yours Tommo!
Thanks for all your support and looking forward to more epic reports from you this year!

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:37:33 AM »
Wishing you and your family a great 2013 Tommo. Thanks for the great report and pics.

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »
Thanks guys!
 
Eish Aquafan, I am sorry but I am going to keep this one secret. It is a small river, with no hotel or general accommodation available anyway. These rivers are so vulnerable to any pressure that it is best to treat them like gold. I am more than happy to recommend good rivers with nearby accommodation to anyone keen to enjoy some decent Transkei estuary fishing though.

Offline AQUAFAN

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 103
  • Gender: Male
  • Work hard - fish harder!!
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
Hi Tommo,
 
I fully understand and you are 100% - these estatuaries which are breeding grounds for so many of the game species needs to be treated like gold and kept secret for as long as possible!
All the best to you and your loved ones and looking forward to more of your inspiring reports!
 

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
Thanks Tommo and all the best for 2013 to you and your family.
I had a look at the Sebile range of lures and they looked very good. They are a bit pricey but I suppose you get what you pay for.  :win:

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »
Hope you have a great 2013 as well Tommo !

Another epic trip !

Offline Rods

  • R.I.P. our good friend
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 469
  • Cred: 39
  • Location: Empangeni; KZN
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
All the best to you and your family for 2013 Tommo

Offline Bushbuck2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 90
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 08:13:31 AM »
Tommo u give those plastic prawns a go? any comments

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:37:34 AM »
Tommo u give those plastic prawns a go? any comments

BB... (sorry off-topic Tommo) I tried mine in Kosi late last year. They have a good action and look very realistic under water. Only problem is that they are fairly large and need quite big hooks to fish weedless, which is not ideal for the Estuary nurseries. (Small fish). Tried them in the Surf too using Barry Wareham's 2oz sinker method, but no pick ups.

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
Hey BB. Sorry I didn't have the chance to use them. I was filming, so had to use sponsored products. I have given them a swim in my pool at home though and they look good. I will have to give them a go when there are no cameras around. I am sure that they will catch fish in the right conditions (slow moving water).

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »
Tommo great stuff as always and all the best to you and your family in 2013.

Just a quick question, on Mondays show I saw you were using some sort of clip to attach your lures instead of cutting & retying a knot every time. What clip is it you using and are you using it on your salt water light tackle too?

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
Hi Prego, yes I use the same clips for salt water fishing as well. It is called a quick release clip and it is very good indeed. It is made by a guy called Dennis Swannell, and is the only clip that I really trust. There are stores that stock them, but I am not sure which ones. I usually get mine directly from him. If you want some you can give him a call and he will mail you some. He makes them all different sizes, for different strengths. The ones I use for estuary and tigers are usually the 1mm or 1.2mm.
Please drop me a PM if you want his number and I will send it to you. (this applies to anyone else who is interested as well) 

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »
WOW , thanks for Sharing Tommo .
I was wondering about the Boat you guys fished of , Looks like a small Aluminium  Dinghy  with an Electric motor?
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »
Hi Lenny, yes, I am using a Quintrex Explorer Trophy 390, with a Yamaha 4 stroke 20 on the back. There is also a Minn Kota Rip Tide saltwater trolling motor on the transom. I find it to be a great set up for estuary fishing, very happy with it!

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Transkei Estuary visit
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »
Hi Lenny, yes, I am using a Quintrex Explorer Trophy 390, with a Yamaha 4 stroke 20 on the back. There is also a Minn Kota Rip Tide saltwater trolling motor on the transom. I find it to be a great set up for estuary fishing, very happy with it!


Thanks Tommo , we are just worried about the trailer and the roads from East London further up . I would love to do a trip up and just fish the rivers and those sweet blind rivers.
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal