Author Topic: found Swimming in 2m of water at vetchies reef (inside)  (Read 10259 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: found Swimming in 2m of water at vetchies reef (inside)
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »
Shame, shes been around for several months and I have seen her around in the shallows and the deep. My condolences to a magnificent creature.

Would have given an 80lb set up a good stretch.

Offline Spearo

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Durban
Re: found Swimming in 2m of water at vetchies reef (inside)
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
Can you ask your friend at SB to give us a update on the stomach content of the GW. One of my buddys was spearfishing on Junction reef and on his way back a big shark took his fish and float, this was 31/12/10. I would love to know if the small red plastic float was in the stomach, myself got taxxed swr by a beast of a Zambie on the 5th of Jan not far from where the pic was taken. Biggest Zambie I ever saw.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: found Swimming in 2m of water at vetchies reef (inside)
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »
Beautiful fish, it is a pity it got nailed by the nets though...

9-Inch

  • Guest
Re: found Swimming in 2m of water at vetchies reef (inside)
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
Sharks board have confirmed via telephone this morning that it was caught in the nets by Ansteys beach.

Anyway, there were human sighting of it at Vetchies, which gives me the shivers because I surf regularly just next door at UShaka beach / Addington.

Offline Timothy Scriven

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 27
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Auckland New Zealand
Re: found Swimming in 2m of water at vetchies reef (inside)
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:35 AM »
@ 9-inch
HEY LOOK , A GW!

I laughed at the quick and nonchalant way that you confirmed the "human sighting" from the beach compared to your earlier post.

There was in fact a reported sighting earlier in the day off Ansteys but the fact that the person ON THE BOAT says it was caught at Durban, I'm going to side with him.

_________________________________________________

Here's a thought, as a city would you rather have a shark-scare (read: capture) over the busiest time of the year at your busiest beach and in turn face a possible financial recourse or alternatively say that it was caught at a lesser occupied beach away from the city?


9-Inch

  • Guest
Re: found Swimming in 2m of water at vetchies reef (inside)
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
I have been giving shark stories a lot of thought lately.  I've never really been bothered about them and have jumped in the water when I know they are around.  But after this story I went surfing and had my nice shiney Tissot watch on.  The water was a quite dirty and every now and then the watch would flicker some light.  I thought to myself, if I was a fish (or fishing with a spoon) then that shimmey of light would get me super excited.  I had to paddle back to the beach with only my right arm, while my left arm was holding onto the nose of my board.

I'm not sure what you mean by nonchalantly, but I believe the sightings - they had the be-jesus scared out of them right??

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal