Author Topic: USING CDC (without Marc Petitjean’s expensive tools)  (Read 6782 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
USING CDC (without Marc Petitjean’s expensive tools)
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »
CDC is a very versatile material  and can be used in many different and innovative ways. The following website provides  excellent background to CDC as well as providing some ideas on its use.  http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying-with-cdc/

The foremost expert on the use of  CDC in fly tying has to be Marc Petitjean.   He has designed a set of tools that make using CDC very easy. There are  two tools that he manufactures; the Magic tool and the Magic Tool Stacker. In  the following two videos, Marc Petitjean shows how these tools work – there is  an amazing range of things that you can do with them.

The Magic Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3lUnmSn2g
The Magic Tool  Stacker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d9vlTFEi4E

The downside is that these tools  are pretty expensive. I did a search on E-bay and found that the Magic tool in  the normal size (you get a Magnum size as well) costs about R460 size; and the  Magic Stacker costs about R320.Looking for alternatives, I came across a couple  of websites that showed how you can make your own Magic Tool at little or no  costs. Extrapolating from what I found, I made my own Magic Tools as follows:

I found an old piece of closed cell dense foam and cut it into the  shape in the picture below. After cutting the foam to shape, I cut  a few slots with a serrated knife. My  prototype was cut with a sharp blade; this made it difficult to push the  feathers into the slot. The serrated cut allowed a tiny bit more width to the slot.  To allow for different lengths of feather, I cut a number of slots (5mm deep) the  narrowest being about 15mm and the widest being 45mm. I thought that these  sizes would be adequate for the flies that I tieIt was suggested that you can use  a rubber sponge – I tried that and found it too soft. It was also suggested  that you can use a piece of dense timber and cut it to shape. Not having the  woodworking tools to be able to accurately cut the timber, I dropped that idea.  I think wood would be too unforgiving – the foam allows for some widening when  inserting multiple feathers (or combinations of materials as demonstrated by  Marc Petitjean in his videos

Instead of Marc Petitjean’s  plastic clips, you can use plain old bulldog clips.

The next few pictures describe my test run on the homemade tool. Firstly,  I laid two feathers over the slot with stems aligned

I  then pulled the feather down into the slot (you can lay a peice of fine wire over the feather centres to assist in pulling the feathers into the slot)   
Then I captured the fibres in a bulldog clip   

    I then removed the feathers from the slot   


And trimmed off the stems   

    I could also move the trimmed feathers to another bull dog clip
 

    And, to stack like the Magic Stacker, all I did was insert lay the  bulldog clip flat and inserted a fine needle the clip and pushed the material  down into a bunch – in the picture I used comparadun hair – but it works just  as well with CDC.
 



    Ok, these homemade versions are  not as fancy, fast and user friendly as Marc Petitjean’s tools – but they do  just about everything that Marc can do…..and I saved myself at about R700!
 
 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:01:37 AM by Ziggy »

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: USING CDC (without Marc Petitjean’s expensive tools)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:07:23 AM »
Fishermen can be so innovative!  :corrct:

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: USING CDC (without Marc Petitjean’s expensive tools)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:46:32 PM »
Ziggy, the write sounds awesome but I cannot see any photos?
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: USING CDC (without Marc Petitjean’s expensive tools)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:47 PM »
Ziggy, the write sounds awesome but I cannot see any photos?

Strange - because I can see them - maybe Reefs can help?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: USING CDC (without Marc Petitjean’s expensive tools)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »
Sorry I missed this!

Ziggy, in your Media Gallery (in the album where you loaded these), make sure that the album is not marked Private. Under the Privacy heading, under READ, these boxes must all be ticked. Unticked means only you can see them. Fixed it for you, everyone should be able to see them now.

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: USING CDC (without Marc Petitjean’s expensive tools)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:05:58 AM »
I can see the pictures now thanks! Brilliant Ziggy!
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal