0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
That's so flippin awesome! Pity you didn't land them, but must have been epic fun.
That's awesome stuff! Glad to see you guys experimenting in that awesome fishery!!What Hooks are you Using Cam?We battled plenty getting the fish to stick when we started on the fly for them. I had brought back the same kit I used for clients in Kenya, but at Vidal there were just not the numbers of fish to allow you to duff one or two.I switched to a smaller wider gaped hook, I think it was a gamagatsu and I think we also got some from grip. Also in a 5/0 and a 6/0. I the the gamagatsu was a 15 series or something like that.Also we slowed down the strip strike to more of a slow pull against the fish moving away from us, pretty much allowing the fish to bed the hook while we just hold tension on the line. Might be completely different in your guys case but it might help.
Quote from: shagnrelease on December 03, 2014, 07:30:36 AMThat's awesome stuff! Glad to see you guys experimenting in that awesome fishery!!What Hooks are you Using Cam?We battled plenty getting the fish to stick when we started on the fly for them. I had brought back the same kit I used for clients in Kenya, but at Vidal there were just not the numbers of fish to allow you to duff one or two.I switched to a smaller wider gaped hook, I think it was a gamagatsu and I think we also got some from grip. Also in a 5/0 and a 6/0. I the the gamagatsu was a 15 series or something like that.Also we slowed down the strip strike to more of a slow pull against the fish moving away from us, pretty much allowing the fish to bed the hook while we just hold tension on the line. Might be completely different in your guys case but it might help.Hi Shag we where using the Gamagatsu as well its a two hook rig with the first one snelled and the second hooked crimped onto 120lb fluero. The hook ups where pretty solid as Farid placed the fly well ie behind the fish so he had to turn and eat it, we where just unlucky. Brandon our new fly fishing guide has caught tons of sailies on fly so I've been learning from him which has been a big help I've even started stomping around the rock shelves with him scaring away all the Parrot fish when I have a bit of free time.