Author Topic: Ultralight Micro-jigging  (Read 4260 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Ultralight Micro-jigging
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »
Micro-jigging means different things to different people - in Oz or NZ the jig and tackle weights are much higher than would be the case in SE Asia (< 1oz, often <14g).  For this post when I talk about micro-jigging I am referring to my own experience which has been with very light tackle - I've mostly used 3lb Fluorocarbon or PE 0.6 (8lb braid) on very light rods.  That said I think the principles are what's really interesting and they can be applied to many different areas and species with heavier or (maybe) even lighter gear. 


The brilliant thing about UL micro-jigging (ULMJ) is that there is usually plenty of action so you learn quickly!  I've racked up 8 species (and over 20 fish in a short session) in just one venue that isn't known for it's lure fishing (Kalk Bay).  The potential in warmwater areas is huge, think Richard's Bay or Durban harbour.  I managed about 3 trips in Durban using ULMJ techniques but lots of summer evenings at Kalk Bay is where I learnt the most.


My ultralight SW adventure started back before the internet - from 1991 I used soft plastics on 4lb line in Durban harbour and the Umgeni Estuary - got some good fish that way, big gurnards and most memorably a 70cm garrick on a clear Gitzit.  I also got prodigal son, threadfin mirrorfish, sole, rock cod, snapper, perch etc.  Then I moved onto SW fly fishing and fly tying which was a great learning experience - I fished South Pier a lot and got the usual mix of species - queenies, springer, kingies, bonnies, salads etc.  Later I lived in Ireland and got back into UL SW - they call it LRF (Light Rock Fishing) over there.  I caught pollack, wrasses, poor cod, launce, sea trout on small soft plastics and tiny metal vibe baits.


With all that in mind I feel that ULMJ is the most exciting UL SW method I've ever used and the potential in SA is massive.  It may not be the best method to catch big fish but as a fun way of catching numbers and a variety of smaller fish I predict it will be hard to beat.  I've no doubt the guys posting micro catches will get this point - many others will wonder what the fuss is about.  Too each his (or her) own.


Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 12:36:51 PM »
Before I get into specifics there is a last bit of background which will be useful if you want to do your own research.  A of the lot of the gear I'm using was originally designed in Japan for catching Aji - which is what they call maasbanker.  'But that's bait' some will say.  It's true and I keep the maasbanker I catch to use as bait but bait collection was never so much fun!


Aji fishing (and mebaru - a little rock cod type fish) is incredibly popular in Japan, I suspect because it's easily accessible in coastal urban areas.  The typical set-up would be man-made structures near deep water - for our own purposes this is a good place to start although I think there are opportunities in the surf and estuaries as well. 


Aji are targeted in 3 ways: with tiny jigging spoons, soft plastics (SPs) on jig heads and weighless SPs or flies (actually more like the individual lures you find on a Sabiki/YoZuri bait rig) which are fished 'Carolina style' in mid-water.  I'll focus on the first 2 because I've haven't yet spent any time on the 3rd method.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:44:48 PM by allsorts »

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Time for some pics - UL jigging spoons - 5-9g and some rigging options.  All imported except for the RippleAsh (IFish are the wholesalers) and the Raider (Big Catch in CT only place I've seen this model).  If all you can get is the Ripple Ash don't sweat, it's a really good option.   


In the next post I'll talk about rigging options and the fact that in my experience many fish hit the hook / assist rather than the jig itself and why you should take this into account when rigging micro-jigs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:00:39 PM by allsorts »

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »
Awesome....keep it coming..

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Superb post Allsorts, thanks for this!  :+ cred: :+ cred:

Offline kaptein delarey

  • The Erratic Jerk
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 23
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Robindale, Gauteng
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 08:40:26 AM »
Very interesting indeed. Will keep following.

Offline Fishersteve

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 123
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jersey Channel Islands/Emonti
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »
good read allsorts, nice collection

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:49:29 PM »
Ok, I'll bite! Send more.....

 :+ cred:

Great info so far thanks.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Re: Ultralight Micro-jigging
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
Where was I - oh yes:


Micro-jig bites happen on the drop  - I can't think of a single exception over maybe 150 bites.  So micro-jigging seems to be about managing the dropping rather than the jigging.  In this way it's exactly like fishing a chokka jig but that's another story.

So the first challenge is that if you buy a small spoon suitable for micro-jigging realise that a treble on the back is designed for a standard spoon retrieve, not jigging.  Not to say you won't catch fish this way but it's not as efficient as it could be.  An assist set-up is the answer to this problem - I'll post more detail shortly on how to do this.

Second is to realise that usually with the smaller fish it is the weight of the jig falling which sets the hook, not you.  When you tighten up the hook goes all the way in but you are completing what the falling jig started.

This has two implications:

a. You need to create a target for the bite - hence the fiddly bits on the rigging pic above

b. You need to experiment with jig weights if you aren't hooking up - sometimes if fish are biting short a heavier jig will work better as the fish have less time to decide and the quicker fall turns tentative pecks into hook-ups.  Of course sometimes a slower fall is needed if conditions are flat. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:17:09 AM by allsorts »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal