As many would know that our Grunter is probably one of the most difficult fish to target on fly.
They are very skittish and scatter at the first sign of movement. Your presentation must be gentle and if the see the leader they are gone.
I've spent countless hours casting at them, thinking that only a elite group lands these fish from time to time.
So this morning I set out to a bank I know holds a few and considered it target practice as usual.
I tied on a pink Crazy Charlie to imitate a sand prawn.
I was casting for two hours already thinking that this will be another blank day.
I saw 3 small grunter cruising about 25 meters away and shot the fly out about 3 meters in front of them. I started stripping short quick strips along etc.
I saw the fish turn and follow the fly as they have done many times before.
And about 8 meters from me me, a solid pull, I lifted the rod and I was on. I could not believe it at first, at long last I hooked a Grunter.
My heart was thumping, I let it fight and run, afraid I might now loose it. and after 5 odd minutes I got him in my stripping basket.
The feeling of success was unbelievable. The fish I hunted for so long has finally in my hands.
And about an hours late I got my second one.
Everything paid off. All the write ups I've read, advice I've taken, it all boiled down to these 2 fish.