Author Topic: marine batteries  (Read 4109 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
marine batteries
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »
Hey guys,

both my batteries on Blackie is shot (Willard 618/619)

I need to replace. Can anybody recommend the best batteries for boats these days?

Am I suppose to go deep cycle now?

The guys at battery centre says I should go Raylite (R1600 for the pair).

I've seen elseware people recommending Optima, Deltec US Battery etc...


What is your opinion?

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
I have had some good use from my Deltec 105ah batteries - one must of had over 200 charges and still going 6 years later. I bought some US batteries on recomondation, but I don't enjoy the fact that they are not a sealed battery and you have to keep an eye on the water level, this isnt always easy on a boat.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:57:08 PM by Chigger »

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
I have had some good use from my Deltec 105ah batteries - one must of had over 200 charges and still going 6 years later. I bought some US batteries on recomondation, but I don't enjoy the fact that they are not a sealed battery and you have to keep an eye on the water level, this isn't always easy on a boat.

Those are both deep cycle right ??

I have deep cycles on the trailer of the big boat, for the winch...but I thought boat batteries are supposed to be normal batteries because of cranking power?
but then again I'm totally clueless these days

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
Yip both deep cycle, I use them for main motor and trolling motor, and interchange them regularly without any issues and many cranks per day (20 or 30) on a 125Hp.

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »
Yip both deep cycle, I use them for main motor and trolling motor, and interchange them regularly without any issues and many cranks per day (20 or 30) on a 125Hp.
cool then I'll also go deep cycle, seeing I want to beef up some electronics and also fit a trolling motor.

Offline Peter Gordon

  • Value. 64 is a bit short on Proper Value
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg, Gauteng
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Jaen, Daltec are brilliant batteries, that would be my recommendation

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »
Just went for a drive....the ONLY deep cycle batteries that fit is the Raylite RR1 solar battery. Not sure if I should go for them (R870 a piece)

Also looked at the normal cranking Energiser Premium at R750 a piece...will most likely go with that.

My battery boxes are my biggest issue it seems.

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
definitely a deep cycle battery is what you should get Deltec are good units, l just bought a Deltec 70 a/h for my Pajero for R1100.00 which was a good price
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
Jaen, some say these are good Marine batteries.
http://www.batteriesonline.co.za/optima-blue-top-dc5-5-battery/
 

 
 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:04:06 PM by Toppie »
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: marine batteries
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
Jaen, some say these are good Marine batteries.
http://www.batteriesonline.co.za/optima-blue-top-dc5-5-battery/
 

 
 
the best but at 5000 for the small blue cap a bit out of my league.  And it weighs 26kg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:08:57 PM by jaenswart »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal