Author Topic: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?  (Read 4535 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:26:12 AM »
Guys,


Could we discuss tactics for the different species from the rocks and the beach?


Queen Mackerel
King Mackerel
Travelly
Queen Fish
Garrick


What lures to use for each species.
When to use what lures to target the species.
How to work each lure ...


I think it would be a valuable data base to get filed in the grey matter when on the bricks...
 

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »
Very interesting post and subject Gerhard.Im also a "Spin a Holic" and I think "Tommo" can help us here. He is an expert in this

area and doing it for many years.I start to read his Articles I think 20 years ago in the Stywe Lyne. A lot change over the

years,rods,reel and lures.....

Offline Shivaan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 566
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Queensburgh
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »
I will be following this very closely...  pce . Just taken up fishing using artificials

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 03:55:50 AM »
Guys,


I realy want to target Cuta from the rocks with lures.


I have caught two the last month and half.


One on a bucktail jig and one on a maria spoon.


But I need more info on how to target them more aggressively.


There are big boys around here... Last year this time a fellow angler landed a beast of 26kg's when he slide a live mullet.


I will appreciate tactics on how you target Cuta with lures such as spoons, stick baits and plugs from a boat..

Offline devesh.r

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 51
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB.Lenasia
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
Awesome topic. I planning my first trip this holidays just fishing at with lures and bucktail leadheads.

Please share with us guys.

Offline zamarlin

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: Hermanus Western Cape
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
We are using CID couta casting in flash colours and 45 gram weights for the couta here in Luanda from the shore. Gast in, let lure sink ot the bottom and rank as fast as you can. Sometimes stop cranking and let it sink to the bottom again.  Also try varying the depth the spoon swims in but we never catch on a slow retrieve.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
Spinnerman will be able to assist forsure in this thread too.
Spinnerman ??? :wahoo: :cout: :wahoo: :cout:
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 04:03:16 AM »
Yet to get hit by a cuta on spoon been reeled in fast.


Same tactic let it sink to the bottom and them let it rip.


Will try the stop start tomorrow.

Offline Lucky Hook

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ballito, Kwazulu-Natal
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
Gerhard I too wish to catch a Couta from the side on a lure. I guess that you have a much better chance fishing the waters that you do as opposed to our local "Kzn' waters.
I believe that it is not only about the speed of the retrieve as opposed to the size of the lure being used. I think the iron candies and chase spoons that I normally use are too small and that a couta will not really go out of his way to chase such a small meal for the energy that must be expended to consume it. Sure its different when throwing into bait balls etc.
Once lure that I know has taken a Couta from the side is the Duo Press Bait Saria - My brother in law landed a 19kg+ monster off the bricks with this lure.
I am spending more time throwing larger lures (lots of experimentation) but it is difficult to find decent lures that are about 60 to 80 grams that cast well and don't cost too much - Hopefully some day will have a story to tell about a couta.
Let us know how you get on.
 
 

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »
Gerhard I too wish to catch a Couta from the side on a lure. I guess that you have a much better chance fishing the waters that you do as opposed to our local "Kzn' waters.
I believe that it is not only about the speed of the retrieve as opposed to the size of the lure being used. I think the iron candies and chase spoons that I normally use are too small and that a couta will not really go out of his way to chase such a small meal for the energy that must be expended to consume it. Sure its different when throwing into bait balls etc.
Once lure that I know has taken a Couta from the side is the Duo Press Bait Saria - My brother in law landed a 19kg+ monster off the bricks with this lure.
I am spending more time throwing larger lures (lots of experimentation) but it is difficult to find decent lures that are about 60 to 80 grams that cast well and don't cost too much - Hopefully some day will have a story to tell about a couta.
Let us know how you get on.


Do you have a photo of that lure?


I am casting bigger profile spoons and I am sure the bucktails with bigger profile as well should be the ticket for now for me.




Offline Lucky Hook

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ballito, Kwazulu-Natal
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
Here is link to Basil Manning site with picture of lure:
http://www.basilmanning.co.za/lures/duo/duo-press-bait-saira.html
 

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 09:33:16 AM »
Bakgat!!




Thanks for the link.


They are a tad expensive but looks like they will do the job on a Cuta!

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »

Once lure that I know has taken a Couta from the side is the Duo Press Bait Saria - My brother in law landed a 19kg+ monster off the bricks with this lure.


Where was this caught? SA?  :shk

Offline Lucky Hook

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ballito, Kwazulu-Natal
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »
Yes in Kwazulu-Natal just north of Ballito

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
That is a brilliant catch. I have not heard of couta caught from the side on lure in South Africa.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
That is a brilliant catch. I have not heard of couta caught from the side on lure in South Africa.

There have been plenty! Rob Kyle and the boys have got quite a few.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: How about Shore Game Fishing Tactics?
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
That is a brilliant catch. I have not heard of couta caught from the side on lure in South Africa.

There have been plenty! Rob Kyle and the boys have got quite a few.

That is good to hear. I have only seen the natal-snoek they catch from the side.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal