Recently, my brother Gary and I discovered a hidden trout fishing paradise in Pretoria East. Situated in the quiet tranquil surrounds of Zwavelpoort, amongst the rolling hills of Bronberg, On The Rocks is definitely the place to go when you feel the itch to catch the odd trout or two without heading too far over the horizon. The venue consists of a single 1.3 hectare dam which varies in depths from 1-4m deep as well as a drop off, which I gauge to be approximately 8m deep. The owner, Charl, which is always friendly I might add, stocks the dam with Rainbows, Browns as well as some Golden trout every two months or so starting at the end of April.
It was an early winter's morning, the roads still empty and the stars still shining bright. I arrived at the venue with my brother at quarter past 5 fresh and early in the morning. Luckily I brought some hot coffee along to break the chilly bite the majority of us know only too well. We rigged up before the sun rose over the hills and went off to catch the morning rise.
We started at the inlet of the dam to get warmed up. It was not long before I was into my first trout of the day, an 800gram Rainbow that was rather feisty, which I caught on a black woolly bugger with blue flash doubled up with a peacock blood worm as the dropper on a floating rig.
After 9 am action around the dam seemed to slow down slightly and I managed to hook a small 10cm long bass. Must say I noticed the water was murky. I took this as an opportunity to inspect the dam and venue as well as get some casting practice while I was at it.
The dam has a very natural feel to it and hedges, grass, bushes and reeds are kept under control but still can be a challenge in spots to even the most seasoned fly fishermen. This is especially evident at the beginning of the inlet by the waterfall where space is very limited but a bow cast will set you into some decent trout should you brave the locale. Despite certain tricky spots, there are a few areas where any beginner should feel comfortable in fishing.
Off I went in search of a bigger prize. There are a few larger fish in the deeper areas of the dam where one or two monsters are lurking. Unfortunately none of these big old trout took me up on my offer, although I got stuck into a decent 1.2kg rainbow which put up a good fight.
After this, I retired for the day to get the fire going to make some boerie rolls for my brother, his wife, my nephew and myself. The great thing about this venue is that it is child friendly and makes for a good picnic setting. It has a few drum braais available as well as a big shaded area.
Although the day was a bit slow, we were at the same venue two weeks earlier where I myself caught 6 trout and between the three of us caught 18 or so. I believe this was down to the weather as there was a winter shower the night before where as today was quite warm.
In short, On The Rocks is a great venue for beginners and pros alike and well worth a visit to scratch that itch when the bug bites without heading out of Pretoria. Please find below the contact person for the venue as well as directions and pricing.
Feel free to PM me for any more info.
Contact:
Gretchen
082 305 1154
vgretchen@gmail.comDirections:
Travel out of Pretoria to the east via Lynnwood Road also known as “Gordon Drive" until you reach the intersection with Hans Strijdom Drive now “Solomon Mahlangu Drive.”
From there, continue with Lynnwood Road also known as “Gordon Drive" for about 6.5 kilometers.
Turn right at the Zwavelpoort Road.
Carry on until the tar ends and changes into a dirt road.
Carry straight on for about 300 meters. You will find "On the Rocks" (Plot 128) on your right.
Drive in and follow the signs to the dam.
Pricing:
Weekends & Public Holidays - R150 per day per person fishing
During the week - R100 per day per person fishing
Non-fishing visitors - R50 per person per day (any day)
Children under 7 - no charge
Rods for hire - R100 per rod - a catching net is included. To be booked a day in advance
Flies can be bought from us
"Catch and Release" is preferred however, Rainbow and Brown Trout caught and taken will be charged at - R80 per kilogram
No Golden Trout may be taken - it has to be released
Discounted Rates for Fishing Groups only (8 and more persons fishing)
Only Cash is accepted at the venue