ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => THE GRINDER REVOLUTION => Topic started by: Half-Pint on April 09, 2012, 02:54:08 PM
-
After some dismal results on my HMP 50lb braid I'm forced to strip it all off and replace with something else.
I know the majority of guys are using 50lb Jigman braid but this stuff is helluva pricey! The new suffix 832 braid has got rave reviews from the iCast show as well as respected anglers but will it cut the mustard for r&s? I'm thinking of spooling up my reel with 300m of this in 50lb and using 50lb whiplash as backing. Thoughts?
-
After some dismal results on my HMP 50lb braid I'm forced to strip it all off and replace with something else.
I know the majority of guys are using 50lb Jigman braid but this stuff is helluva pricey! The new suffix 832 braid has got rave reviews from the iCast show as well as respected anglers but will it cut the mustard for r&s? I'm thinking of spooling up my reel with 300m of this in 50lb and using 50lb whiplash as backing. Thoughts?
Um , just fork out for the jigman and be safe.The HMP and the 832 together will cost the price of the Jigman ....
-
Luca I have already had the HMP braid on my reel but when Reefz tested it he could not get it to test above 19lb if I remember correctly. I already have half a spool of whiplash 50lb here at home so that's no problem. The suffix costs R380 for 300yards Jigman is over R600 for 300yards if I remember correctly
-
this is strange we have been using hmp with great succes here in cape town . black stingrays and bronzies.were landed with.no.issues thus far
-
Stick to Jigman lad. Nobody has ever complained about it other then the price. I made the mistake when getting my ski riged up with a jigging stick and reel. At the end of the day it cost me more. Took the other braid of and went back to Jigman.
-
Luca I have already had the HMP braid on my reel but when Reefz tested it he could not get it to test above 19lb if I remember correctly. I already have half a spool of whiplash 50lb here at home so that's no problem. The suffix costs R380 for 300yards Jigman is over R600 for 300yards if I remember correctly
Hmm , tricky problem , take the tooth fairy out of the equation and where are we :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
-
I have also bought a new procaster 4000x and filled it with 832 30lb
I will see how it performs
-
I have used the 20lb and 30lb and no issues yet, and have 50lb on my popping stick, but not major fish to speak off.
Seems as if Spin-a-holic is happy with his.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8316.new;topicseen#new (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8316.new;topicseen#new)
Should be similar in the heavier breaking strains
-
Thanks Hardus. I'm really leaning towards this stuff. So far I haven't heard any complaints and the price tag is certainly making me far happier to get this than the Jigman
-
been using the 80lb and the 20lb. Wont use anything else in a hurry.
-
been using the 80lb and the 20lb. Wont use anything else in a hurry.
More info please??!?!
What's it like for line twist and wind knots? Is the abrasion resistance really better than others? Is it as smooth as they say on casting?
-
Reefs. i cast the 80lb on a shimano 15/30, for galjoen. I've been using it in the fowlest of foul areas, and i've cut off maybe 20m in 2 years? It's only .45, and has without a doubt worked for me. Stopped an unknown train with it in the southern cape dead in it's tracks when even shark tackle was getting a hiding, as you only had 50m to stop it or it's reef time.
Then as far as the 20lb. I've been using it on a penn battle 5000, and true's bob i havent had a single wind knot yet. I've cast lures with it, one ounce sinkers and prawns flat out casts when windknots usually occur in windy conditions as langebaan tends to have, not a single wind knot yet. Worked 40cm plus stumps over some pretty nasty reefs at "leentjiesklip", also no issues, and the 20lb put a very nice smooth hound to shame off the boat also in langebaan. Again if i've cut off 20m due to abrasion it's a lot.
-
Fantastic! Thanks for the feedback! It's what I wanted to hear... been amped to get some of this stuff for a while now.
-
Well that's what I wanted to hear. Definitely going to give this stuff a bash
-
Luca I have already had the HMP braid on my reel but when Reefz tested it he could not get it to test above 19lb if I remember correctly. I already have half a spool of whiplash 50lb here at home so that's no problem. The suffix costs R380 for 300yards Jigman is over R600 for 300yards if I remember correctly
Brad, what's the cost of a trophy fish? ... take into account all the money you're bound to spend on getting to your destination alone. Will a R200-R300 price different really make such a big difference to the overall budget for the trip ... :dunno:
I say if the difference is only R200-R300 then go for the best stuff rather and have complete peace of mind.
-
Jakes I have no issue spending that if an equally good product does not exist but when there is a product that can compete quality wise and is half the price I'll go for that!
-
I saw 600m Jigman 50lbs for sale at Suburban Spares the other day for a little over R 900. This would be worth your while to look at.