ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: Willie on April 03, 2012, 02:23:43 PM
-
Some advice please. On the recommendation of the salesman at the angling shop I bought these Bucktail jigs for spinning. They are 1oz. Are these correct for spinning in gully's and surf. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
-
where is the pics?
-
where is the pics?
duh me
-
the white and pink looks nice.
im not buck tail jigger, but im sure it wouldnt be a problem on the surf. especially on the flats.
Tommo is the man for this.
Where are you Tommo?
i know there was an article here some where regarding these jigs, just need to look for it.
-
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=5156.msg66052#msg66052 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=5156.msg66052#msg66052)
something i found on buctails and surf spinning
-
:tkx: Bru appreciate at my age the memory dont go back that far :hehe:
-
Hi Willie
Those are good jigs, they should be fine for spinning in the surf. Perhaps on the large size for scratching around in gullies, but good for casting out at sandbanks etc and looking for kob, kingfish that sort of thing. They could also be used for offshore jigging on shallower reefs, up to around 18m or so. I hope they are going to get you some fish!
-
Ja thanks Tommo got them for the Vengeance and Stradic. Please read the post on Fat Girl I want to book 5 January 2013.
-
Great info thanks.
Should work in the Mtentu area as well, Tommo?
-
Tommo himself came to the rescue :tite willie
-
They should definitely work in the surf around Mtentu mouth, just the ticket! I would be wary of fishing them over rocks, as they need to touch bottom between jigs (when targeting kob)and you don't want to lose them. When targeting kingfish/garrick you can work themfaster so thet they don't touch the bottom.
Thanks Willie, I will check the Fat Girl Post!
-
Tommo himself came to the rescue :tite willie
Eish only going down in May :-(
-
Always struggled with the Bucktail, but I have seen lovely Kingies and Kob landed on them...
A nice way to fish them, seen the Alcock brothers cane the fish this way... Let the jig sink to the bottom, twitch your rod upwards 2-3 times, so the jig moves off the bottom, and then keep the rod down and reel in the slack... :tite
-
:new: Would these Jigs work in the Durban Harbour?
I have just purchased a Sensation Bass Zone 3 rod paired with a Shimano Symetre 2500FJ reel and a Loomis Calibre Baitcaster reel also paired with a Sensation Bass Zone 3 rod, both in 7ft MHS 10-20lbs.
Both the reels are spooled with Spiderwire EZ braid with a breaking strain of 15Lbs and 0.22mm thickness and have a Maxima Flourocarbon Leader line of 15Lb breaking strain and 0.34mm thickness.
Im totally new to Saltwater Dropshotting/Jigging and only found this site a few days ago, thus purchased based on the professional expertise of the sales guys at the tackle shop. After reading the forums I am definitely far more enlightened, however, still may be missing a few things. My brief to the guys at the store was, a multipurpose light tackle rig for Estuary, Surf and Tigerfish.
These are the lures and rigs i currently have- Pic to follow...
It appears i may have the right gear or not? but like need serious advice as im yet to catch a fish.. Not even an enquiry...There's serious reputational risk on the homefront :hyst: so thought I'd ask the forum for some advice... I primarily fish in the the Durban Bay, and have been throwing the lures in at Virginia beach too.
To Date...More tackle bought, less fish caught!
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
:tkx:
-
Pic of the setup I currently have... I normally fish the afternoons or when the tide is receeding around the Wilsons wharf area. I normally fish the surf early mornings and some afternoons.
I have used lures before when I used to fish for Bass however Saltwater seems to be an entirely different scenario and hence perhaps i may not be doing the right thing. I attach the leader line to a clip swivel which is then attached to the lure/jig so that i can change them regularly. Could i use split shots with floating lures?
I have been reading the forums on jigheads and now realised that I am using too large a hook and a far too heavy Jig so will change that and hope to see some improvements.
-
Always struggled with the Bucktail, but I have seen lovely Kingies and Kob landed on them...
A nice way to fish them, seen the Alcock brothers cane the fish this way... Let the jig sink to the bottom, twitch your rod upwards 2-3 times, so the jig moves off the bottom, and then keep the rod down and reel in the slack... :tite
If there was only one lure you could ever use to fish with, it would have to be an Olive/white 1/2oz Bucktail Jig. :hnthnt:
In fact, that might be an interesting thread to start?
-
The Spro jig heads are really good , just cant understand why they dont use a stainless hook ?? the hooks rust so you need to be aware of that else your good chartruese bucktail becomes a brown mess if left in a tackle box wet .Once you done for the day leave your box open and lay the jigheads on the lid to dry , its a pain but prolongs the colour of the jig , but lets hope you catch so many fish you dont need to worry about the rust on a bare jighead :gt: :grk: :cout:
-
I must say if I could only have 1 lure for all kind of fishing it would be a bucktail in white.
You can catch anything from barbel and bass to gamefish, bottom fish and marlin.
Tommo did an excellent article on bucktails in a mag a month or so back, will check if I can find it
-
Guys thanks for all the info helps me a lot (clap)
-
TW: I generally keep all the lures I have fished with on a day to one side and rinse them with fresh water, then dry them properly before packing them back in their boxes. As you say, bucktails tied on normal steel hooks can become a real mess when put back into your box while wet with salt water. If you are fishing from a boat it is an idea to have a bucket half filled with fresh water on the boat. You just chuck each lure in there after using it, then at the end of the day you just need to dry them before packing them away. With the price of lures these days it is worth looking after them.
Jaenswart: I couldn't agree more about the white bucktail! If I was limited to one single lure, that would be it.
MahiMahi: Your tackle rigs look good. I think you could do with a bit of help in your lure selection, but the rod, reel, line setup is good. I will post a selection of lures that I would recommend you carry for the fishing you are doing.
-
MahiMahi, I think you should consider changing the line on your spinning rig. You could put 8lb braid on the symetre. I would still use 15lb Fluoro leader. This would give you two different strength outfits, and the light one would be easier to cast light lures on.
-
Check out this thread for details on lure selection and techniques for the harbour:
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8963.msg132618#msg132618 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=8963.msg132618#msg132618)
-
Tommo :+ cred:
-
:tkx: Tommo you always willing to share your knowledge :+ cred:
-
Willie, they make a yellow and white one called 'Magic Bus' - caught a few Dollies,YFT, kawas and Skipjack tuna on them as well as catface on shallow reefs.
-
MahiMahi, I think you should consider changing the line on your spinning rig. You could put 8lb braid on the symetre. I would still use 15lb Fluoro leader. This would give you two different strength outfits, and the light one would be easier to cast light lures on.
Tommo- Thanks a Million for the advice, really appreciate it. :resp: Il try and get the line changed asap and get some of the lures mentioned in the link. I was planning on getting onto the water sometime this afternoon and will give you feedback on how it goes. Will probably be on the surf though so will use the bucktail Jigs and see how they fare.
:+ cred:
-
is there a tutorial vid on how to use bucktail jigs? :cnfzd
-
Tommo- sry Stupid question but Would you suggest I use the baitcaster in the surf because of the heavier line or just carry both rods and change depending on the lure being used whether im fishing the Bay or the Surf?
-
Update: So....I didnt manage to get the line changed but was able to fish the surf with a NE wind blowing. I managed to get the White Bucktail out but the side wash was quite strong hence was getting caught in the tumble (washing machine) at the slope. I have been furthering my reading on these lures and as the guys have been saying, this is the lure to have! Funny enough, i found a quote somewhere which said the US airforce include bucktail Jigs in the aircrafts survival kit!! :clwn
I fished off the surf at Glen Ashley beach today which has a steep gradient and hence I may not be casting in the correct places. Would this hold true if i was not wading as it seems most of the surf fishing done on jigs is through wading? I stand in water which is ankle deep as thats all the conditions allow most times at this place.
Guys, i apologise if i have hijacked this thread and will move it to another if told how to... duh Just wanna try and draw from the wisdom of the pro's!!! :geet
:tkx:
-
MahiMahi, I would mainly use the 15lb baitcasting outfit in the surf and offshore, with the 8lb outfit on standby and loaded with a small spoon, an Iron Candy or something similar. You can always pick it up for a flick if you see snoek feeding for example, or even shad. The 15lb rig will be your main surf outfit though.
The 8lb spinning setup will be your bread and butter estuary/harbour outfit. Light enough to get some distance on very light lures and nice and sensitive.
To be perfectly honest with you, this is a tough time of year to be casting bucktails into the surf around Durban. I wouldn't expect to be catching too much myself doing that. Concentrate more on the harbour now, and wait for the shad and the garrick to be around before working the beach hard.
-
Kudos to you for that Tommo! :+ cred:
This is exactly what i needed to learn as the morale has been taking a dent somewhat... :hehe: . Il heed your advice and make the required amends and continue my readings on the forum to improve the technique. :uarocks
Just an idea, perhaps Ultimate Angling and FreeSpool Angling TV can hold some clinics around the country where we novices can get to meet the Pro's and try to glean some ideas and skills. I would happily pay for that privilege and Im sure others would too! Im thinking the DBN Boatshow as a perfect venue w;k
:tite
-
A pleasure MahiMahi! I hope that you start catching fish on your spinning gear soon, I look forward to seeing some of your posts with pics of fish.
-
Got all my fingers crossed too Tommo..Haha.. Will definitely be keeping the forum updated on how things are progressing :fshn:
-
What do people use to touch up their bucktails, as in what is suitable paint????
-
Guys any tips. I have been trying to get a yellowtail on a bucktail and am struggling. Last saterday i thru it into a shoal of fish smashing baitfish on the surfice and had about 5 chase it to the boat but would just not take. I was giving a fast jerk jerk retrieve. this is off cape point. Any one have some luck or tips
-
Never caught a yellowtail on one but for YFT a flat out retrieve works, no pause.
-
Never caught a yellowtail on one but for YFT a flat out retrieve works, no pause.
maybe thats my prob, was bouncing it a bit. Ya the tunnie seem to love it. the Skippies couldnt leave the bucktail alone when they came past recently.
Im sure the tail too, just need to get the action they like.