ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Topic started by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 11:27:32 AM

Title: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 11:27:32 AM
        In response to Jean`s post on Best fly spots and a previous  post on Gauteng fishing would it be possible for us to build a database of fly-fishing  spots that is really worth visiting and those who you would suggest to give a  pass.
As we are not advertising places just name (maybe website),  location and species you can catch. I must say that I have been very disappointed  by some ads in the Fly Fishing magazines. The proof is in the fish caught.



Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: FCLoretz on February 08, 2012, 11:30:05 AM
Great idea Wynand,

Two places I would recommend where I have been is.

Silwerstrome - below the barrage
Eastco - outside parys.

both venues is for SM Yellows and barbel, If you want to target muddies go to silwerstrome.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: jaenswart on February 08, 2012, 11:31:08 AM
My best flyfishing spot must be Rhodes in the eastern cape. Go there in April or September. Awesome.

Best stillwater that you know about...Must be Giants cup with Wolf.
Best stillwater you probably haven't heard of. Swartwater dam near Qwa-Qwa in the Freestate.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 11:36:06 AM
HI Jean

Not aware of Swartwater, do you have more info for us?

FC Eastco delivered both times I tried, great to be reminded will be on my list again. I tend to visit so many new places that I forget about the one`s I`ve been to...
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 11:46:59 AM
I will post some of the obvious but still favourite spots.

Jozini Dam - Tigers please take heavy gear.. I tried to be brave and broke a perfectly good 5/6WT nice article at: http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/destinations/jozini-dam/ (http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/destinations/jozini-dam/)

Sterkfontein - Can I say more.. Sight Fishing at its best.




Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 11:54:05 AM
Best Places I have fished for Trout:

Rhodes in April, Millstream Farm in July (Dullstroom), and because of proximity and conveniance Footloose in Fourways in June and July...

Have a look at my site for info: http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/millstreamfarm.htm (http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/millstreamfarm.htm)

http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/footloose.htm (http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/footloose.htm)

It is also fun targeting Vlei Kurper, Largemouth Bass and Blue Kurper at Footloose on fly...

Tried Fly Fishing at Loskop Dam from the side, had big expectations but got one small Largescale Yellow...

Kowie and Kariega Rivers in The EC are great! http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/kariega.htm (http://www.fishthesea.co.za/fishingvenues/kariega.htm)
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Kumz on February 08, 2012, 11:55:29 AM
Van's Place - Leeukloof ... hehehehehehe ..only place i have eva flyfished ...hahahahahah
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: icstuff on February 08, 2012, 11:58:39 AM
My best flyfishing spot must be Rhodes in the eastern cape. Go there in April or September. Awesome.

Best stillwater that you know about...Must be Giants cup with Wolf.
Best stillwater you probably haven't heard of. Swartwater dam near Qwa-Qwa in the Freestate.

Last I heard is that that they are developing a lodge and that the dam is not stocked anymore? when last did you fish it?
I might be going there sometime this year.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Rory on February 08, 2012, 12:06:30 PM
Vaal venues: Theres too many!!! In no particular order, Yellowfish Paradise, Silver Strome, Eendekuil, the old Ben Johs and Oord Nebo.
Trout: Dullstroom Dam, Fins Estate, Leeuwkloof, Katrinasrust and the Waterval Boven Club waters. (All Mpumalanga)
I've had good success flyfishing for bass below Harties dam wall, but haven't been there in a while. I've fished the Jukskei at one or two spots which I've since lost access to, but am busy working on a new connection. I must admit as good a venue as Eastco is, I've always battled there, not sure why!
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: jaenswart on February 08, 2012, 12:09:26 PM
My best flyfishing spot must be Rhodes in the eastern cape. Go there in April or September. Awesome.

Best stillwater that you know about...Must be Giants cup with Wolf.
Best stillwater you probably haven't heard of. Swartwater dam near Qwa-Qwa in the Freestate.

Last I heard is that that they are developing a lodge and that the dam is not stocked anymore? when last did you fish it?
I might be going there sometime this year.

sep 2011. We smoked the fish in the snow. Got about 17 size fish. I have some pics somewhere will look
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 12:25:35 PM
Rory - Just word of advice I know of a few attacks on people - Rock Climbers and Fishermen below the Harties Dam wall in the last 12 months. Close friend of mine was mugged over new year by group with knives etc, took all his  gear, and car, took his dad as ransom for them to go to bank and empty account, luckily they were unhurt but that is just a matter of time before these thugs go a step up...
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Rory on February 08, 2012, 12:27:13 PM
Rory - Just word of advice I know of a few attacks on people - Rock Climbers and Fishermen below the Harties Dam wall in the last 12 months. Close friend of mine was mugged over new year by group with knives etc, took all his  gear, and car, took his dad as ransom for them to go to bank and empty account, luckily they were unhurt but that is just a matter of time before these thugs go a step up...

 swr Thanks for the heads up Wynand!!! Scratched off my list!
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Luke13 on February 08, 2012, 02:10:36 PM
Blyderivier - Due to crocks not recomended to wade... Water is clear and the best for sightfisihing.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 08, 2012, 05:19:58 PM
I have a few, but the two that stands out is the Bushmans and the Blyde.
I would go as far, to say that the Blyde is the best Smallstream in S.A. Very technical, but very rewarding.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: PH on February 08, 2012, 05:30:41 PM
I know squat about fly fishing but was amazed to watch guys angling the following venues:
Groenvlei in the Southern Cape for Blue Gill Sunfish. They use a small red wooly "worm" on the hook.
Sedgefield Lagoon for Mullet.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 09, 2012, 01:42:38 PM
Here is a few pics of the Smalblaar down in the Western Cape.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF0241MediumSmall.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF0240MediumSmall.jpg)
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: PH on February 09, 2012, 01:47:30 PM
Is that the spot in Du Toit's Kloof, Koos?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Lichia amia on February 09, 2012, 01:49:20 PM
 :clfoto: Koos , what camera do you use ??
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 09, 2012, 01:51:55 PM
Is that the spot in Du Toit's Kloof, Koos?


No this is just before you get the tunnel from Franschoek's side w;k
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 09, 2012, 01:53:20 PM
:clfoto: Koos , what camera do you use ??


I use a Fuji Film XP20. No housings needed like on the Sea & Sea I had.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Lichia amia on February 09, 2012, 01:54:22 PM
:clfoto: Koos , what camera do you use ??


I use a Fuji Film XP20. No housings needed like on the Sea & Sea I had.

Thanks  :bow:
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 09, 2012, 02:01:18 PM
I will treat you guys to a few more snaps....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF0233Small-1.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF0247Small2.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/DSCF0267Small.jpg)


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/IMG-20111112-00479Small.jpg)

All of these are shots from the Smalblaar.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: FCLoretz on February 09, 2012, 02:01:47 PM
:clfoto: Koos , what camera do you use ??


I use a Fuji Film XP20. No housings needed like on the Sea & Sea I had.

The XP20's are great. in terms of waterproof cameras there are only two cameras I would personally buy. The Fuji XP20 and then my first choice is the Olympus range of waterproof cameras!
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: travelmember on February 09, 2012, 04:54:49 PM
Worst = any man made put and take stockie place.
Best = Witte, Lourens
The wilder and more pristine, the better.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Ziggy on February 09, 2012, 05:55:27 PM
Worst = any man made put and take stockie place.Best = Witte, Lourens
The wilder and more pristine, the better.


now, now - those are Walkers Killers favourite places fro trout
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 10, 2012, 08:28:35 AM
Worst = any man made put and take stockie place.Best = Witte, Lourens
The wilder and more pristine, the better.


now, now - those are Walkers Killers favourite places fro trout
Exactly  (bat
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 10, 2012, 09:03:35 AM
 :clfoto: Koos really good pics, this is the best way to C&R underwater. Great fishing.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Luke13 on February 10, 2012, 09:09:03 AM
 :clfoto: Assume its your boots, and not you holding the Camera?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 10, 2012, 12:56:28 PM
:clfoto: Assume its your boots, and not you holding the Camera?


Yes it's my boots. My mate took the snaps with my camera
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: kp11 on February 11, 2012, 10:17:36 AM
E.T. your pictures are fantastic
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Luke13 on February 13, 2012, 12:11:09 PM
Best - Trout Hideaway Pilgrim’s Rest Must be the best spot (or at least in top 3) in South Africa, if you want to catch a 10 Pounder that is the place where you could hook one, I hooked a few big ones all left me :cry: but a great place, Rivers Dams and weirs...

Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 13, 2012, 12:27:59 PM
Best - Trout Hideaway Pilgrim’s Rest Must be the best spot (or at least in top 3) in South Africa, if you want to catch a 10 Pounder that is the place where you could hook one, I hooked a few big ones all left me :cry: but a great place, Rivers Dams and weirs...


Luke I tell you what, give me a ring when you are up there again, and I will take you close by for some of the best river fishing S.A. has to offer. I will put you onto Bows, Browns and the odd SS Yellow all in a days fishing. :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Luke13 on February 13, 2012, 12:48:35 PM
HI E.T

Thank you, That sounds great, I got a paid week as a gift a few months back, and must say I enjoyed the fising lost a few big ones, but had a great time the whole week. Will take you up on the offer when I travel there again..
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 13, 2012, 12:53:31 PM
HI E.T

Thank you, That sounds great, I got a paid week as a gift a few months back, and must say I enjoyed the fising lost a few big ones, but had a great time the whole week. Will take you up on the offer when I travel there again..


I am not telling where, but you will understand once you see the water.
I am always keen fishing that stretch, so please do take me up on the offer w;k 
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: travelmember on February 13, 2012, 12:59:21 PM
Is Trout Hideaway still going, and is Adolf still running it? Last I heard he was sick and it was for sale. For a time it was SA's premier water.
@ET, Rivendell and Highland Run nearby used to be very nice as well w;k
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 13, 2012, 01:06:10 PM
Is Trout Hideaway still going, and is Adolf still running it? Last I heard he was sick and it was for sale. For a time it was SA's premier water.
@ET, Rivendell and Highland Run nearby used to be very nice as well w;k


I also heard that Trout Hideaway was for sale. Highland Run on the Spekboom I know of, but never fished it. There is another river in that area that holds the fish I mentioned. More I don't want to say, as that water is really fragile.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 13, 2012, 05:24:15 PM
I am busy reading African Fly-fishing Handbook By Bill Hansford-Steele and he mentioned Trout Hideaway, as a destination he fished years ago, never been there and as per the book this place delivered the record trouts caught this should be a good place to go I assume? Are ther any places where we can get a 10LB + fish in local water?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 14, 2012, 08:19:39 AM
    I can say what I experienced at Dullstroom I am sure  there`s many a trout over 10LB.. However I only lost a few tippets so won’t be  able to tell you how big they really are, had my spool ran out on me twice  during my week..  It seems as if E.T  might have your answer, then again, do you want to catch a 10lb trout in a weir  or dam where it’s been fattened “canned” for the lack of better term? I admit I  would like to catch one, and if my only chance in live is a canned one, I will propably  do it. It still takes skill to land it, canned or not. However I will not be  able to brag about it, as I can about the few wild trout that I`ve landed so  far, small on all accounts, but outwitting a wild one, that is a great  feeling..
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on February 14, 2012, 08:44:34 AM
We do have Lakes/dams with Wild Trout in them in S.A.


Lakensvlei
Thrift
Swartwater - This dam held an unofficial Africa record a while back.
Koue Bokkeveld
And the list goes on


We also have one or two rivers that has some big wild trout in them. Some close to 10lb others even more. One or two Drakensberg Streams/Rivers and a few in the Rhodes area. But if you want monster trout in a river, then you better get yourself out to Lesotho.


Now I have fished once or twice at a "Stockie" venue and I will tell you this. It is not difficult catching fish this size and bigger on fly, it can be any fly as long as it's an Epol fly.....


(http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh133/KOOS_ECKARD/MonsterTroutOn2WTLarge.jpg)

Look closely, thats a 2wt in the background. Yes it was caught on a 2wt.


So what do I prefer? The Wild Open spaces where fish run wild. I prefer the upper reaches where the fish are smaller, but wily and hooking them is a challenge in it's own. Sometimes they oblige, sometimes they don't. So whats my biggest Brown to date? 16" from Lotheni.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Luke13 on February 16, 2012, 02:38:52 PM
Nice fish E.T

Agreed that Stocked areas are not ideal, but its the answer to a lot of us as we do not always have access to or the means of getting to wild trout waters. That were all stocked at one time or another as they are alien...
I still want to do Lesotho but my best expierience so far, was as mentioned Trout Hideaway

Do you by any chance know what the Souther Africa record for trout are?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: dibiki on February 17, 2012, 08:30:10 PM
Well guys and ladies, I am a new comer on your site with great news!!! :happ: Stop looking for fly fishing spots and come and join me soon at the Erina Spa!!! I bought the place and intent to bring it back to standard as soon as possible. What do you think?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Hooch on February 18, 2012, 08:47:22 AM
First, welcome to UA!
Second, good luck with the re building of Erina! You will definitely need it. The place has huge potential!
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: FCLoretz on February 18, 2012, 09:37:14 AM
Well guys and ladies, I am a new comer on your site with great news!!! :happ: Stop looking for fly fishing spots and come and join me soon at the Erina Spa!!! I bought the place and intent to bring it back to standard as soon as possible. What do you think?

Welcome to the Forum,

I haven't fished Erina before. But would like to give it a run.

Maybe you can provide us some more details. like plans for the resort moving forward. CAR policies for Erina etc.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: dibiki on February 18, 2012, 02:01:40 PM
Well thank you guys!!! :-) Here is some details in the mean time. The caravan side is big enough for about 60 caravans, maybe more. There will be tent stands, day visits, 500 m waterfront. I will also fix the current chalets and pools. Lots of fun for the whole family. We are planning to make some space available for school camps and picnics. There is a lot of work to be done, so it might take some time. Lots of trees.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 18, 2012, 03:52:24 PM
Well thank you guys!!! :-) Here is some details in the mean time. The caravan side is big enough for about 60 caravans, maybe more. There will be tent stands, day visits, 500 m waterfront. I will also fix the current chalets and pools. Lots of fun for the whole family. We are planning to make some space available for school camps and picnics. There is a lot of work to be done, so it might take some time. Lots of trees.

Firstly welcome to the site and forums.
 
 Great news to hear that Erina will be brought back to it's former glory. (clap)
 
As a matter of interest is it already open for day visitors, and if so what is the day rate. ? 
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: dibiki on February 19, 2012, 09:23:19 PM
Hi Herman, no its not open yet :cry: , the reason for that is that there is no fasilities. Its realy broken down, so no water, toilets and the grass is realy out of hand. So, I will start there first. We are just waiting for the final legal things to fall in place before me and hubby can start with all the renovations.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on February 20, 2012, 08:36:06 AM
Hi Dibiki   :welc:

Never been to Erina Spa, but willing to give it a few goes. Assume this is Vaal water, hows the fishing - and please be honest?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Manuel Junior on February 21, 2012, 08:25:41 AM
(http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/Smileys/goodsmiles/welcome_TO_uA.gif) :welc:   :welc: Dibiki
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Luke13 on February 21, 2012, 10:35:34 AM
 :welc:   Dibiki - Any fishing report you can share with us  :welc:
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 22, 2012, 08:09:02 PM
Hi Herman, no its not open yet :cry: , the reason for that is that there is no fasilities. Its realy broken down, so no water, toilets and the grass is realy out of hand. So, I will start there first. We are just waiting for the final legal things to fall in place before me and hubby can start with all the renovations.

That is a pity. Although it was in the state that you bought it, we were allowed access to fish , firstly at a nominal fee of R 20.00 pppd, then after news got around that Erina was open for fishing again, it jumped to R 50.00 pppd.
 
Most of us f/f don't care much about "facilities".
 
It's access to GOOD water that we seek. w;k
 
Maybe a rethink about day visitors, whilst you are rebuilding,  :dunno: .
 
 
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: dibiki on February 24, 2012, 10:12:06 AM
Hi Herman, no its not open yet :cry: , the reason for that is that there is no fasilities. Its realy broken down, so no water, toilets and the grass is realy out of hand. So, I will start there first. We are just waiting for the final legal things to fall in place before me and hubby can start with all the renovations.

That is a pity. Although it was in the state that you bought it, we were allowed access to fish , firstly at a nominal fee of R 20.00 pppd, then after news got around that Erina was open for fishing again, it jumped to R 50.00 pppd.
 
Most of us f/f don't care much about "facilities".
 
It's access to GOOD water that we seek. w;k
 
Maybe a rethink about day visitors, whilst you are rebuilding,  :dunno: .
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: dibiki on February 24, 2012, 10:17:06 AM
sorry for that mistake!!! lol :hyst:  Ok Ok your win Herman, lol. I will open for day visitors while restorating. Will just be good for business anyway! Let me just get the legal stuff and paperwork out of the way and then we start.
Enjoy the weekend... Visvang groete!!!
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: dibiki on February 24, 2012, 10:18:41 AM
 :tkx: O ja!! Thank you for all the nice welcomes by the other members.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Lichia amia on February 24, 2012, 01:16:06 PM
sorry for that mistake!!! lol :hyst:  Ok Ok your win Herman, lol. I will open for day visitors while restorating. Will just be good for business anyway! Let me just get the legal stuff and paperwork out of the way and then we start.
Enjoy the weekend... Visvang groete!!!

 :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :tkx:
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: toosix on May 07, 2012, 09:21:12 AM
Have any of you guys fished the Jukskei recently? I might have access to it. I visited the site over the weekend but the water does not smell very lekker. Is it safe to fish the water?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on May 07, 2012, 09:24:48 AM
Have any of you guys fished the Jukskei recently? I might have access to it. I visited the site over the weekend but the water does not smell very lekker. Is it safe to fish the water?


If you don't mind having children with two heads, then the Jukskei is all you need :rain:

Look for alternatives, anything in a 80km radius of Jhb is a waste.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: toosix on May 07, 2012, 09:28:06 AM
Thanks ET. It is such a pitty, I saw a few fish rising but I did wonder how anything can survive in those waters.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on May 07, 2012, 09:34:16 AM
Thanks ET. It is such a pitty, I saw a few fish rising but I did wonder how anything can survive in those waters.


There are people fishing the Jukskei. I wouldn't dare.
Sadly you need to travel a bit to find decent fishing these days. And if you find a Yellow Smallstream in 80-150km from Jhb, you keep your mouth shut, cause you only need to take the wrong person there once and the next time you get there, you get 20 people on a piece of water that can only handle 2 people for the day.


Ask for clues, but don't blab out spots,access points, etc.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: toosix on May 07, 2012, 09:41:28 AM
I understand that fully. That is why I have not asked for that type of info. I try to scout around the area where I stay in a radius of 50km or so. I have access to quite a few places but the water just is not in good shape at all. It is really heartbreaking. JHB could have been such a fly fishing paradise if it was not for the pollution and the locals catching and eating everything that moves in a river.


Sorry about the rant but it really upsets me and I would actually like to get involved in some way to at least make some difference.  But you guys probably feel the same.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Herman Jooste on May 07, 2012, 09:07:52 PM
It's all relative ito what is considered best and what is worst.
 
BEST.
ITO, beautifull surroundings, small spooky fish it would have to be Rhodes & the Cape Streams.
 
ITO numbers and size of SM yellows on the Vaal, ( which is beautifull anyway ) it has to be Dirk Human's " Stairway to Heaven " , near Bothaville.
 
ITO fun, the Christiana Festival, ( Can't wait for this year ).
 
ITO joy, any venue where a newbie lands his first SM on fly.
 
WORST VENUES.
 
Any venue where people ( fishermen or not ) do not respect the rights of others to enjoy an enjoyable day on the water, without having to remove hundreds of meters of broken off line from the river or banks.
 
What is an enjoyable day fishing ?
 
Any day spent on or at the water, hearing the fish eagles, or seeing a kudu cross the river, watching the mist rise ahead of you as you paddle out, sitting on an ARK with a good friend and just "catching up" whilst the others are fishing.
 
Hell there is SOOOOO MUCH to enjoy, who cares if you catch a fish or not.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on May 08, 2012, 07:31:57 AM

 
BEST.
ITO, beautifull surroundings, small spooky fish it would have to be Rhodes & the Cape Streams.
 


Go fish the KZN Streams, you might end up not going back to Rhodes or the WC Streams. Some of these KZN Streams holds massive Scalies, so for you as a Yellow Fanatic that should be a major draw card. Oh and not all these streams have small spooky Trout, they have big spooky trout too.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Ziggy on May 08, 2012, 07:36:29 AM

 
BEST.
ITO, beautifull surroundings, small spooky fish it would have to be Rhodes & the Cape Streams.
 


Go fish the KZN Streams, you might end up not going back to Rhodes or the WC Streams. Some of these KZN Streams holds massive Scalies, so for you as a Yellow Fanatic that should be a major draw card. Oh and not all these streams have small spooky Trout, they have big spooky trout too.
ET - I couldn't agree more!
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on May 08, 2012, 07:43:42 AM
Ziggy in my honest opinion I believe the KZN Streams are the best this country has to offer.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Ziggy on May 08, 2012, 07:54:13 AM
ET, I agree - but there is something to be said about the Rhodes streams when they are working optimally. My experiences at Rhodes are that you can certainly catch more fish if you hit it at the right time. There are so many good streams in KZN, but some are not accessible due to riparian ownership - and generally, the Ezemvelo streams are not the best. My favourites are the Bushmans near Giants and the Mzimkulu near Underberg
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: E.T. on May 08, 2012, 10:49:07 AM
Rhodes I have done and I honestly believe that it is nothing more than a over rated one horse town where you pay through your neck to fish for Small Trout. Here and there you will find fish worth your while, but at what cost?


Maclear is lesser known and I believe that the fishing pressure is minute and on average the fish is bigger than at Rhodes, plus the quality of fishing is way better and it won't rape your wallet either.


WC Streams has it's magic, but on average the fish is smaller than that of the KZN Streams.


Those that have been around will tell you that the best stream in this country is not in the WC or EC, but in the KZN midlands. 
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on May 08, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anyone fished Lesotho lately, got an invite for next weekend?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: schloshd1 on May 08, 2012, 04:13:01 PM
Anyone fished Lesotho lately, got an invite for next weekend?

Where about in Lesotho?
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on May 09, 2012, 08:07:37 AM
Northen Part we will be going in from Free State side. Not sure exactly where we will be fishing...
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: schloshd1 on May 09, 2012, 10:23:54 AM
Okay. I have only fished one river in the central/south eastern part. Once in early April and once in late April and found early April to be far better. Perhaps contact Fred Stynberg at linecasters.co.za? He may be able to give you more information.
In my very limited experience I have found that areas close to bigger settlements/villages are fished a lot by the locals and the fish are fewer and very spooky. The further away from populated areas I went, the better the fishing was. Hope that helps.
Title: Re: Word of Mouth - Your best and worst Fly-fishing spots?
Post by: Wynand13 on May 09, 2012, 11:20:59 AM
HI schloshd

Thanks for the info, aparanlty we will be far out from any settlement, will see what I can get and let you know
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal