ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: dugong on February 07, 2012, 03:41:38 PM

Title: Light spinning reels.
Post by: dugong on February 07, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
Any ideas/input please?? I am in the market for 2 light spinning reels to pair with 7' Daiwa Megaforce spinning rods, for now I will load with 6kg mono but at a later stage could change to braid(less bearings are probably better). The setups will be used for light boat spinning - Natal Snoek/Couta/Kawas/Tigerfish/Bass etc...
I am willing to spend up to R400 per reel, no more, I like Shimano but know that Daiwa have some excellent offerings........does anyone know of any good deals around Durban and have advice at what to go for. I have a Salina 55 and would go for the 40 but it is over R500 and I have to stop somewhere........if I don't I will end up with a Stella!!
 
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 07, 2012, 03:45:21 PM
Penn Powerspin 3000, awesome reels that can take a lot of damage  :-) last time I checked they were R295.00... The Salina 40 is awesome but is expensive...

You can also look at the shimano slade or the daiwa procaster all in the 300-400 bracket  :tite
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 07, 2012, 03:45:40 PM
.
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: plonker on February 07, 2012, 04:10:40 PM
Buy the stella :shmno:  :cg:
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: super_daav on February 07, 2012, 04:19:42 PM
Daiwa Regal is very nicely priced and good piece of equipment! I have a couple of them. Procaster is also superb! On that size rod thinking a 3000 to balance it. Triple fish braid to finish it off..
 
Thats the end of my brand punting for today...
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: jaenswart on February 07, 2012, 08:19:15 PM
Any ideas/input please?? I am in the market for 2 light spinning reels to pair with 7' Daiwa Megaforce spinning rods, for now I will load with 6kg mono but at a later stage could change to braid(less bearings are probably better). The setups will be used for light boat spinning - Natal Snoek/Couta/Kawas/Tigerfish/Bass etc...
I am willing to spend up to R400 per reel, no more, I like Shimano but know that Daiwa have some excellent offerings........does anyone know of any good deals around Durban and have advice at what to go for. I have a Salina 55 and would go for the 40 but it is over R500 and I have to stop somewhere........if I don't I will end up with a Stella!!
 

Pick any R800 reel of your choice (I suggest either the Shimano Sedona or Penn Battle) then go and buy it at Ganis for half price :-)
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: Toppie on February 07, 2012, 09:15:20 PM
Any ideas/input please?? I am in the market for 2 light spinning reels to pair with 7' Daiwa Megaforce spinning rods, for now I will load with 6kg mono but at a later stage could change to braid(less bearings are probably better). The setups will be used for light boat spinning - Natal Snoek/Couta/Kawas/Tigerfish/Bass etc...
I am willing to spend up to R400 per reel, no more, I like Shimano but know that Daiwa have some excellent offerings........does anyone know of any good deals around Durban and have advice at what to go for. I have a Salina 55 and would go for the 40 but it is over R500 and I have to stop somewhere........if I don't I will end up with a Stella!!
 

Pick any R800 reel of your choice (I suggest either the Shimano Sedona or Penn Battle) then go and buy it at Ganis for half price :-)

LOL - Jaen, you kave also obviously done it before. Good advice!
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: jaenswart on February 07, 2012, 10:38:51 PM
LOL - Jaen, you kave also obviously done it before. Good advice!

you bet
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: dugong on February 13, 2012, 09:29:27 AM
Went with the Daiwa Regal 4000, not to bad for R380 but I noticed when removing the handle that the 2 side bearings are very exposed with no shields at all so I packed with a light grease from the outside. Loaded it with 7kg (.28) Yozuri Hybrid mono. It is slightly big for the Megaforce 7'(a 3500 would be perfect) but I wanted to be able to use on the 8'.  Not a bad feel and it can flick a 1oz sprat spoon a fair distance.
The best part is that it was tested on it first outing, with the wife getting a 7kg dorado on it - the reel performed very well throughout and I have to say the outfit as a whole is very balanced, for its intended use...........after the Dorado the Natal Snoek/Couta/Kawas/Tigerfish/Bass etc... will be a piece of cake.
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: dugong on November 23, 2012, 01:48:03 PM
After a few days at Jozini this week where the Regal performed very well, I treated myself to another Megaforce, 6'6" this time, and a Sedona 2500 - very well balanced little setup, the tigers must watch out and the snoek are in for a hiding when they come!!
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: eric cotton on November 24, 2012, 09:07:42 AM
Hi See your boat up for sale,what are you getting???? dont leave us in suspense..............
Title: Re: Light spinning reels.
Post by: dugong on November 26, 2012, 08:09:40 AM
As you know I was keen on a small cat but have seriously thought it through and I am not that convinced, will be in CT looking at the Oceanrunner17 in two weeks time - it ticks a lot of boxes, saw it at Jozini earlier this year and am impressed!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal