ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: WalkersKiller on February 06, 2012, 10:01:12 AM

Title: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 06, 2012, 10:01:12 AM
South African Trout Fishing

The Rainbow Trout was first introduced to South Africa in 1897, but it was only in the 1960's that sport fishing for the Rainbow Trout started to become popular. Then trout farms and hatcheries started to develop in Mpumalanga, the Western Cape and the Eastern Cape provinces. These fish require clear, aerated water preferably less than 21 degrees Celsius. Flowing water is essential for breeding to take place, Rainbow Trout cannot bread in Stillwater dams. Rainbow Trout in South Africa have a life span of only 5 years or less, this is due to the conditions of the fish and the fact they are not in their preferred environment. This is why they do not reach the sizes of the Trout in North America or Europe. Males reach full breeding maturity after 2 years. Breeding season is between June and September and is called spawning season. Spawning still takes place in Stillwater even though breeding is unsuccessful.

The South African trout season starts in September and finishes at the end of May. The best times for fly-fishing are in September and October, and then in April and May. However, many of the country's dams and lakes have no closed season.

Brown Trout were first introduced into South Africa in 1890 from Scotland and a body of water called Loch Lagan. The first successful bred Brown Trout recorded was in 1893. The Brown Trout adapted so well in South Africa that Rainbows were soon introduced as well.

South African trout waters are small by international standards, more streams than rivers, yet the average size of the trout caught is still fairly large. Most of the rivers produce fish of up to 3 kgs, and in the Barkly East area river fish up to 5kgs are not rare. In the upland sections of most rivers the trout proliferate and the waters tend to become overstocked.

Good trout fishing is dependent on good rainfall and a season or two of poor rains sets the sport back. South Africa is dry, but droughts are less common in the eastern highlands than they are in the interior, and often less devastating. Just as bad as droughts is the problem of flash flooding and siltation.  Trout Farms and private dams have become very popular in South Africa and the industry is growing steadily.
It is often frowned upon to catch trout using other methods except fly fishing. Trout do occur in areas where there are rare minnow, barb and other fish species, they are believed to be the reason why some of these fish are on the endangered list. Projects are currently underway, mainly in the Western Cape, to see exactly how Rainbow and Brown Trout as well as Bass have affected the indigenous fish populations…

There is concern amongst the fly fishing community as many conservationists want to get rid of the trout that occur “naturally” in rivers, streams and lakes where they are arguable killing off indigenous fish. It is a highly debated topic as a lot of people are either against or for this. Trout have been in our local waters for 120 years now and there are other things to take into consideration such as water quality, water temperature and organisms that the indigenous fish feed on… The Bass species are more likely to blame if predation is causing the indigenous fishes numbers to decrease…

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/Trout/IMG_0298.jpg)
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: gavin erwin on February 06, 2012, 10:05:17 AM
Some great info Walkers Killer.
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 06, 2012, 10:07:31 AM
Some great info Walkers Killer.
Shot Gav!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Rory on February 06, 2012, 10:21:23 AM
Great article Gareth. A while back I read a super article on Dr Tom Sutcliffes website, where the guys caught muddies, yellows and trout all in one day on Kraai river in the Eastern Cape. Let me find the link to it....
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 06, 2012, 10:22:33 AM
Thanks Rory!

Wow really??? Please try find it  :-)
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Rory on February 06, 2012, 10:23:59 AM
Here we go, let me know if the link doesn't work....
 
 
http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/pete-briggs/229-kraai-river-grand-slam (http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/pete-briggs/229-kraai-river-grand-slam)
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Rory on February 06, 2012, 10:25:17 AM
Pretty cool, a new type of "McNab"!!!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 06, 2012, 10:28:53 AM
Thanks Rory, what an awesome experience! :happ: :happ: :happ: :happ:
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: krissi on February 06, 2012, 10:30:49 AM
Thanks Gareth - I found it very interesting.  I haven't really got too involved in the politics of the industry - I have spoken to a few people but perhaps succumb to the ostrich syndrome. We do not stock rivers, only dams, but as Wolf says, flooding causes "genetically modified/inferior" fish to get into the river systems.
 
I often wonder how much more of an impact bass have on the indigenous/endemic fish population than trout. Another factor is the revenue provided by the trout fishing industry - although this seems to be ignored by those wanting to eradicate the trout in our ecosystems as it is considered an elitist sport. Also, surely if one wanted to be purist about this matter, then bass should also be eradicated?  I would think this will be a major project - it is an ongoing uphill battle to eradicate alien vegetation,  how would they eradicate the trout and bass? Where does one draw the line between "naturalised", indigenous and endemic animal and plant life?
 
You seem to be in the know, so updates on this topic would be much appreciated.
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 06, 2012, 10:34:31 AM
Very true Krissi, tough decisions to be made, but also a lot of thinking should be done!

Havent heard anything for a while now regarding the eradication... But IMHO Trout have been naturalised in the rivers and do not feed heavily on minnows, barbs etc. Bass have only been in the rivers for 40 years or so and are more of a "fish" eating species compared to the trout, they would be the first to get blamed, they breed faster than trout as well...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Ziggy on February 06, 2012, 02:50:01 PM
see this from the FOSAF web site:




The short reply to what is happening about the long-awaited revised draft regulations of the NEM:BA Alien and Invasive Species regulations (with special reference to trout), is that unfortunately, in this instance, no news is NOT good news! We, from the Environmental Committee of FOSAF, have grown weary of writing “No Progress” reports to stakeholders. Most would of us who have been involved in the long and arduous process of commenting on official documents are so frustrated and annoyed at the lack of progress from the Department Environmental Affairs (DEA) over the better part of a decade, that it has become difficult in the extreme to retain focus. All that we can report is that the flurry of activity over producing maps for demarcated areas, which showed areas in which trout may be permanently maintained (compared to areas in which trout would not be condoned) seems to have come to naught. This is because the authorities failed to accept the advice provided by FOSAF and possibly other organisations - that there is no provision in the Act for the Minister to grant exemptions for an invasive species (such as trout). Such exemption formed the basis of the provision allowing for demarcated areas and DEA only came to this realisation when they took expert legal advice, recently. Despite a number of e-mails sent by Ilan Lax, our FOSAF Chairman to the relevant official in DEA requesting that we be kept informed of developments, we remain entirely in the dark about their current thinking. We are beyond guessing what will happen next. The only sensible comment that we can make at present is that stakeholders should NOT relax their vigilance. We are firmly of the opinion that this issue has NOT gone away, but until the authorities issue some official statement to which we can respond, there is nothing we can do – except possibly go fishing! 
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: krissi on February 06, 2012, 03:00:07 PM
 :shre:  Ziggy - makes interesting, if predictable (regarding the gov dept) reading.  We discussed this with topic with Ilan a few months ago and nothing has changed so we will just carry on, I suppose. 
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 06, 2012, 03:01:40 PM
 :shre:
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Ziggy on February 06, 2012, 03:05:09 PM
Ilan and I discuss it every time we fish! Gets boring. I think that FOSAF should just shut up and leave it alone, then maybe it will go away (because officials keep on changing) and someone will just forget about it - but, I suppose one has to be proactive and force government into a situation where there is certainty.


Krissi - are you a member of the UHTFC?
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: krissi on February 06, 2012, 03:08:03 PM

Krissi - are you a member of the UHTFC?

 :blush:  No - I suppose I should join even though I don't flyfish - but they support our hatchery. Thanks for the prod Ziggy.   :hehe:  You got my conscience going!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Ziggy on February 06, 2012, 03:10:20 PM
I was on last years committee
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 06, 2012, 10:22:19 PM
Ilan and I discuss it every time we fish! Gets boring. I think that FOSAF should just shut up and leave it alone, then maybe it will go away (because officials keep on changing) and someone will just forget about it - but, I suppose one has to be proactive and force government into a situation where there is certainty.

I don't think that it will just "go away " as long as one of the chief protaganists of trout eradication is a senior member of Cape Nature Conservation ( CNC ) and also happens to be the SOLE liscenced and authorised importer and user of ROTENONE.
 
Rotenone, kills EVERY aquatic organism in a bodu of water, fish, invertabrae, goggas, everything.  :unhap :unhap
 
They then leave the water to decomtaminate, and after who knows how long restock it with indigenous fish. That's the plan anyway.
 
Every serious sewerage spill on the Vaal has killed Moggels, Yellowfish, Carp and Barbel, as has the previous floods. Strangely ( maybe not though ), not a SINGLE dead LM Bass has been found during these catasphrophe's.
 
Now imagine killing every aquatic thing in a Cape / Rhodes / Mpumulanga stream EXCEPT for the Bass  :shk :shk

Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 07, 2012, 05:06:16 PM
    I would like to ad my 2c worth here, as we have family farm  that is part of Kruger I am involved in these talks often.
  I must say that visiting Welkom recently I was shown the horror where the  sewerage no raised the pan next to the golf course water level by almost 2  metres as there are no working system so all raw material just gets pumped into  the river, same problem in Vaal with Villiers sewerage, and many more. The only  streams and rivers I know that is still reasonable are those with trout as it promotes  tourism, and bring in the money. I do realise the effect of alien species, Blue  gum, Black Wattle, Queen of the night, Prickle pear are doing more damage than  trout in South Africa. I think we should first focus time money and effort on  fixing the rivers and dams that we pollute to a extend that no live is  possible and only after that is sorted we can start looking into the alien  species. Carp and Bass is a bigger problem than trout, and I do not hear a lot  about getting rid of Carp in South Africa...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 07, 2012, 05:10:41 PM
Good points Wynard...

WRT Carp, they have been in South Africa longer than Bass and Trout, 1863 I think was when Common Carp were introduced. Carp dont really have an affect on Trout or endemic species, there was some sort of study that proved it, Common Carp have also been reported as the favoured fish for Barbel, thus keeping the predation off yellows and muddies. The villan in the Grass Carp, IMO these fish should be killed on site. They compete directly with Muddies and Yellows and other smaller species and win all the time!

Just my 2c  w;k
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 07, 2012, 05:23:56 PM
WK
Local goverment promotes the grass carp..
WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT- GRASS CARP IN WEED CONTROL

http://www.kznwildlife.com/index.php?/Grass-Carp-For-Weed-Control.html (http://www.kznwildlife.com/index.php?/Grass-Carp-For-Weed-Control.html)

They do eat eggs of our beloved yellows and kill them before they are born.. Point I would like to make is, if you remove one alien, you have to remove all, and that is impossible

Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 07, 2012, 05:26:55 PM
Need some advise please? Noticed some massive Koi recently in a dam does anyone know what flie to use, I tried most in my box, floating to sinking, did not get a strike. I plan on visiting again soon, and would love to catch one of those wild Koi... Just to say I did... 
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 07, 2012, 05:36:56 PM
I know Wynand dont know why they condone it, but yes if we want to get rid of the Grass Carp all others must go!

Catching Koi on fly would be great... I presume they would feed similarly to a carp. The best way is to throw small pieces of bread and bread crust onto the water let them feed and present the smallest roundest and fluffiest white dry fly you have!

Alternatively throw some ground feed into the water and fish a small olive GRHE close to the bottom, static!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 09:07:44 AM
    WK
  Thanks I think we must arrange a trip to that dam, my friend advised me  yesterday that he tried catching one with his Bait net and it totally destroyed  the net.
  I did try the bread trick even had a green and red Sun Juan worm literally  centimetres in front of its eyes, swam around it and did not take the bait.  They ones I saw were close to a metre so I think I will have to take my 9WT  rig.. The dam is in the eastern Free State, the farmer said that he wanted to  see if Koi would survive and let them free about 20 years ago, so as you can  imagine they are big by now.. I found this article so clearly it’s been done  before...  http://theangle.net/2008/06/13/what-the-koi/ (http://theangle.net/2008/06/13/what-the-koi/)
 
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 09:12:25 AM
Very interesting! I would love to fish that dam and if the flies dont produce, theres always time for a bit of papgooi  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 09:19:01 AM
    No one ever  fish there so I will see when we can get the farmers permission again, will pm  you as soon as I get details it will be limited to x amount, but will let UA  know if I get a go ahead..
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 09:23:35 AM
Sounds awesome Wynand!!!!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Luke13 on February 08, 2012, 09:43:05 AM
Interesting to read History of trout ends with Koi fishing... That should be interesting to do, if the invite goes out, please count me in?
Now you just opened a new can of worm, Koi cant be good for our water systems?
I heard that some farmers use Rotenone to get rid of alien water plants in their dams and then re stock dams, but the effect is massive as it kills everything and there are millions of organisms that we dont realise we have in the water..
Recently fished Belfast and the Bass is a pain there, the people actually ask you not to C&R bass, so they seem to be a bigger problem than trout. I must agree on issue of Grass Carp however as far as I know only male carps gets released?
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 10:59:19 AM
Luke will arrange and to my best to get as many spots as possible, as this is on a private farm I will let you know if I get lucky... As Jooste said to me recently, sign up for Flytalk and read up on Rotenone, you will find everything you want on it there. With regards to Belfast, was there about a year ago and noticed that trout fishing is not so big anymore, sad to see, but the Bass fishing was great...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Ziggy on February 08, 2012, 11:14:09 AM
The most prolific and destructive invasive alien is us! maybe we should also get a dose of rotenone?
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 11:49:29 AM
Yip good points guys!

On the Belfast topic I have even heard they are doing specimen carp tournaments now  :shk

I wont ever release a Grass Carp...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 11:53:22 AM
Ziggy I do agree that we cause most issues.. And we introduced the aliens so its not their fault..

WK - Seems like you have something personal against the crass Carp???

Sad that the heart of Trout fishing of only a few years ago now have carp tournaments...  :cnfzd
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 11:59:08 AM
Yeah I do Wynand... The Grass Carp is related closely to the Silver Carp, I have seen some ridiculous footage of how the Silver Carp is taking over Bass dams in the US and I think the Grass Carp will eventually do the same. I would love to catch a Grassie on fly though!

I am not going to lie I love Trout Bass and Carp, but I would rather see our own fish flourish!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 12:33:46 PM
WK Totally agree on rather see our local fish..

The Carp do destroy a lot, do you by any chance have a link to video you watched on this? Would like to have a look.. The problem with them is they can survivie in Hot and Cold water so we will really have to kill everything in the river systems that is just impossible to do in order for us to be rid of them.
Trout is also invasive, but just in cold water that makes them an isolated problem. I do have a personal issue with carp in general due to this, I know that not all are as bad, but they still cause problems in our waters, we will unfortunately have to live with it...

Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 12:40:37 PM
Agree with you there!

Heres a video Invading Species: Asian Carp Take Over American Lakes and Rivers | Global 3000 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnG93dVQC6Y#ws)
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 12:50:44 PM
 :shre: Looks like a fun way to fish... Wonder what we will get if we go through our rivers with the same system...
Sad that a noble idea by someone led to this..
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 01:12:02 PM
Yeah exactly! Imaging the Vaal turned into that  :cnfzd
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 02:03:37 PM
 :cnfzd Vaal
 :cnfzd And all other rivers in South Africa...
 Think we must  (bat get one of those boats and do something about it...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Luke13 on February 08, 2012, 02:12:10 PM
Do we know if anyone ever tried something similar to count fish in our rivers? Where can we get those reports?
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 08, 2012, 02:32:00 PM
 :dunno: Anybody knows if these stats are availible at all?
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 08, 2012, 02:45:30 PM
Dont know either  :-(
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 10, 2012, 09:16:50 AM
HI, I found a few links, a bit outdated, but good to read..

http://www.fosaf.co.za/documents/Final%20EIA%20Report%20Apr%2009.pdf (http://www.fosaf.co.za/documents/Final%20EIA%20Report%20Apr%2009.pdf)

This is a site worth keeping an eye on... http://www.saiab.ac.za/index.php?pid=270 (http://www.saiab.ac.za/index.php?pid=270)

Something is being done, we just dont really know about it...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on February 10, 2012, 09:19:56 AM
 :shre:
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 10, 2012, 09:28:03 AM
One more on work done in the Cape, cant seem to get something for any other province....

http://www.capenature.co.za/projects.htm?sm (http://www.capenature.co.za/projects.htm?sm)[p1][action]=content&sm[p1][category]=729&sm[p1][persistent]=1&sm[p1][cntid]=1960
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Luke13 on February 16, 2012, 02:40:25 PM
 :shre: :+ cred:
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: dodger on February 16, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
I've just picked up this thread and my 2 pence worth. It's highly unlikely that bass and trout will inhabite the same waters purely because of temperature, so the trout waters are devoid of indigenous fish because of Trout.You generally don't find carp in trout streams, yellows at one time yes.
Similarly Bass are a huge threat to the indigenous fish in the warmer rivers where thankfully we have that other invader the carp, that to some degree protects the smaller fish by continuously stiring up the bottom in search of food clouding the water and reducing the predatory basses range of vision, not that bass patrol looking for food, but it does help. Bass live around structure so that does leave a lot of open water available, unfortunately Kurper also like the same enviroment.
In the warmer waters where bass thrive the demise of the Tilapia / Kurper is astonishing, who last caught significant amounts of decent size kurper at any of the now classified 'bass waters' like Rust de Winter and Loskop.
We will never get rid of the trout bass and carp, nor will we ever fully control their breeding, but catch and release I'd like to do away with  these species purely to give our indigenous fish a chance to recover. Unfortunately  :-( money has got in the way in the thriving bass and trout industries and this will never happen which is a shame.  :-( So cull the bass and carp, and make the angling more challenging nothing wrong with that. Not a popular post but think about it from grass roots, those who have spent oodles on bass boats will decry me as well as those who have access to prime trout waters. But let our children go and be able to catch a minnow.
 I believe that Jozini dam has a bass population that must be interesting with  bass facing an apex predator :-)
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 17, 2012, 08:15:29 AM
    Hi Dodger
You surely  make a valid point on C&R and it should be practiced. The money involved is  huge and as you rightly say we will not get rid of the mentioned species.  Jozini dam is a great place, I use to fish there more than often for about 4  years, until the unfortunate event of my brother deciding to move away from his  water facing home. I cannot recall ever landing a bass there. Maybe because of  the Tiger, and in my opinion the best freshwater fish to catch, nothing beats  the fight they put on.
Bass are  taking over Belfast that use to be trout haven, so they do in some areas live  in same waters, just mentioning it.
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: dodger on February 17, 2012, 01:27:12 PM
Hi Wynand, quite agree about the Tigerfish nothing comes near in freshwater to catching a bus, you say the bass is taking over in Belfast, is that in the rivers or the dams, if they are in the rivers it's probably because of flooding out of dams. The bass has quite different habits to trout surviving on ambush tactics from sheltered spots, whereas the trout generally prefer faster flowing water so in theory they should live together, but's in theory :cnfzd
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Ziggy on February 17, 2012, 02:23:59 PM
In Underberg/Himeville - there are trout dams that are" infected" with bass - and the general rule is if you catch one - kill it, don't return to the water
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 17, 2012, 02:41:36 PM
Hi Dodger
Yes practise and theory are  :cnfzd diffrent unfortunetely, dams are full of Bass, and I caught a few Bass and no trout in the river I recently visited, looking back a few year I cant recall getting bass on Woolys in that area at all...

It couldve been a weird weekend, but I only got Bass no trout, so in my book personally I think bass are taking over. general rule under the locals is to kill all bass, cath and release and you will see a few  :unhap chaps...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Ziggy on February 17, 2012, 02:52:05 PM
I don't like bass - and never deliberately go to fish for them - I find them really fishy smelly! And, they are very stupid fish - unlike the wily trout!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 17, 2012, 03:01:44 PM
Ziggy I fully agree, I never target bass, but in Belfast on my last trip all woolys & boobies that I used to target trout caught bass.. Was a horrible thing to expierience!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: dodger on February 17, 2012, 09:20:40 PM
Interesting , kill one alien fish to preserve another alien fish, what about the 3 spot minnow where's he gone?  :unhap
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Ziggy on February 17, 2012, 09:43:40 PM
Minnows? ...taken by aliens!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on February 20, 2012, 08:22:19 AM
    I must make it clear that I am not for preserving any alien  fish if it means that indigenous fish suffer that is unfortunately mostly the  case. However I can state that by my personal experience in Belfast recently I  noticed Bass are taking over Trout water that should be a major concern.
Title: SASSI Assessment - Farmed rainbow Trout
Post by: Wynand13 on March 07, 2012, 01:35:56 PM
    I know this is an old topic, but this is worth mentioning and related to Trout in SA...

Taken of the SASSI site have a look at: http://www.wwfsassi.co.za/?m=6&s=1&idkey=1314 (http://www.wwfsassi.co.za/?m=6&s=1&idkey=1314)

Good news for all South African seafood consumers: SASSI has recently   completed the assessment of SA trout for inclusion on the SASSI list.   The South African farmed rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, is on the green list.

Green-listed   species are the most sustainable options from the healthiest and most   well-managed populations. These species can handle current fishing   pressure, or are farmed in a manner that does not harm the environment.

Trout   are freshwater fish which are either farmed in re-circulating water   systems or in cages in dams. They were introduced as an alien fish   species about 100 years ago and have invaded many local river systems.   There are specific trout zones for trout farming so as not to further   introduce the species into other local river systems.
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 07, 2012, 01:39:01 PM
Thats very interesting  :-)
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on March 07, 2012, 01:59:46 PM
This might mean they are here to stay....
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on March 07, 2012, 02:06:14 PM
I think so  :trout:  :happ:
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on April 11, 2012, 02:20:12 PM
Just an update on some drastic messures against Bass taken in Western Cape

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/alien-invasive-fish-get-the-toxic-treatment-1.1247238?ot=inmsa.ArticlePrintPageLayout.ot (http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/alien-invasive-fish-get-the-toxic-treatment-1.1247238?ot=inmsa.ArticlePrintPageLayout.ot)

Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 11, 2012, 02:25:54 PM
Good news!

Ive always wanted to get a smallmouth in a river though...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on April 11, 2012, 02:40:50 PM
    I suggest trying in the rivers at Belfast, you should catch  one for every other fish you catch.  They  are a pest there.  Don’t bargain on the  Cape though… This is good news for the indigenous species and a great leap  forward for us. Let’s see how this progress as this was the first one of a few  spots they will be treating to kill alien fish. 
     
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 11, 2012, 02:45:45 PM
Cool, where in Belfast Wynand?

Hopefully the indigenous species pull through this one well!
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on April 11, 2012, 02:51:47 PM
I went to the area just as you enter Belfast from Dullstroom side you turn Left on the side of town the waters there, it should keep you busy, its almost a pest to be honest...
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 11, 2012, 03:18:23 PM
Really?

Is it stillwater or stream fishing? And is it a private area or what?
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: Wynand13 on April 11, 2012, 03:33:22 PM
As far as I know its municipal land, you need a day license you can get from Rod & Reel Tackle shop, next to the Old Alsumic Tackle shop facing the main road, dont expect to much from this shop, however they will direct you to all spots where you can target Bass/Trout, but I only got bass NO trout. The place I am talking about is just down the road from one or other film studio, I recall it being a bit weird to have a filmhouse in Belsfast... You should get streams and stills within 10 mins drive, I spend some time at the still waters and then moved down the road to the stream. I will not make it a special trip to Belfast just for this, as I was dissapointed but if you go to Dullstroom I will definately stop there for 4-5 hours if I were you.
Title: Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
Post by: WalkersKiller on April 11, 2012, 03:39:56 PM
Awesome thanks Wynand!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal