ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Fly tying => Topic started by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 11:07:13 AM

Title: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 11:07:13 AM
hi Guys,

here is my latest fly from the vice. It is a GRHE emerger. they fish better without the beads according to Andrew. And tied better in smaller sizes #12 - #18
(http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa328/FCLoretz/Fly%20Fishing/GRHEEmerger2.jpg)
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 18, 2012, 11:14:26 AM
Thats a great looking fly... Do you still fish that the same as a GRHE or use any different techniques?
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 11:16:19 AM
It is an emerger, at times when I have fished it, I used some Loons hydrostop rubbed into the wing. and with a static drift for stillwaters and a ddift for streams and rivers.
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: WalkersKiller on January 18, 2012, 11:17:16 AM
 duh sorry of course it...

Im sure the size 18 would be deadly!
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 11:19:42 AM
I tied a couple for Andrew, 4 x #16 and 4 x #12

and he had some good fishing on the #16's.

I next want to work some cdc into it as an underwing, this should give me better floating abilities
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Lichia amia on January 18, 2012, 11:30:15 AM
Neat work  :win:
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 12:07:05 PM
Neat work  :win:

 :tkx:
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: rockspider on January 18, 2012, 01:25:20 PM
looks good, what size thread do you use on size #16 ?

time to get my tying gear out again and give it a try, however i'll have to start with #8 wooly buggers :))
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 01:38:15 PM
i use 14/0 thread for all my tying. i am just busy getting rid of 8/0 thread that I bought when I started.
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Rory on January 18, 2012, 01:44:01 PM
Super fly Frederick!! Nicely done  :win:
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 01:59:21 PM
Super fly Frederick!! Nicely done  :win:

Thanks Rory,

I am busy tying up some Humpy favvourites. Will post pictures later on.
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Rory on January 18, 2012, 02:05:46 PM

Thanks Rory,

I am busy tying up some Humpy favvourites. Will post pictures later on.

Good choice to tie  :hnthnt:  looking forward to seeing them!
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on January 18, 2012, 02:12:20 PM

Thanks Rory,

I am busy tying up some Humpy favvourites. Will post pictures later on.

Good choice to tie  :hnthnt:  looking forward to seeing them!

you can prove it! you  (bat those  :carp: on that humpy on Sunday
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: schloshd1 on January 18, 2012, 06:01:16 PM
good fly Freddie w;k

Worked well when I added floatant to the wing and fished it like a klinkie, dead drifting in the stream.
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on January 26, 2012, 12:48:40 AM
Here's my latest creations
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on January 26, 2012, 12:50:08 AM
And some more
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Rory on January 26, 2012, 07:57:33 AM
I like the look of those olive flies in the second row from the right, at the bottom. Very lekker!
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Monster on January 26, 2012, 10:55:06 AM
Awesome flies!
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on January 26, 2012, 04:33:31 PM
I like the look of those olive flies in the second row from the right, at the bottom. Very lekker!


 :tkx:  Surprisingly enough the white ones above them got me 4 in a row above 2kg's two trips back.  Size 18's no less. I was quite surprised.
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on January 27, 2012, 08:34:30 PM
Attempt at a dry for the Vaal
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Herman Jooste on January 27, 2012, 09:06:05 PM
Nice tie Werner.
 
I have found that contrary to some experts belief, that a EHK, in a light tan tied on a 12 or 14 has worked well for me in winter.
 
# 14and 16 Klinkiesin olive and tan also work well.
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on January 27, 2012, 09:11:04 PM
Thanks Herman, on my todo list then. I've been tying a lot lately towards feeding the daemon, I'm way too far away
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Rory on January 30, 2012, 08:41:07 AM
Attempt at a dry for the Vaal

Looks super! What material have you used for the body? Larva lace type stuff?
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on January 30, 2012, 03:42:34 PM
 :tkx:


Stretch lace, super stuff, stretches like rubber legs which makes it suitable for dry fly. (I hope, will only see on the water)


Here's a shot from the side
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Rory on January 31, 2012, 07:37:10 AM
:tkx:


Stretch lace, super stuff, stretches like rubber legs which makes it suitable for dry fly. (I hope, will only see on the water)


Here's a shot from the side

Stretch lace? Don't know the stuff  :dunno:  my first impression was that it looked too heavy for a dry, perhaps chuck the fly in your pool to see if its light enough?
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on January 31, 2012, 11:01:41 AM
Yeah thanks I'll do that, wish I had a pool though, will use the basin. Will let you know
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on February 09, 2012, 09:06:42 AM
(http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa328/FCLoretz/Fly%20Fishing/2012-02-07211222.jpg)

(http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa328/FCLoretz/Fly%20Fishing/2012-01-19065037.jpg)
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 09, 2012, 09:13:05 PM
Frederick, you are coming well with your tying. (clap)
 
The first fly is the bomb, very well tied. :clwn
 
Some constructive advice on the 2nd.
 
Use thinner wire for the ribbing, it allows you more wraps = better segmentation.
 
When wrapping over the scud back with the wire, pull the scud back a bit tighter, it will become "thinner" and more in proportion to the fly.
 
If you are using the ribbing to tie down the scud back, i.e scud back is tied in at the thorax and tied down with the ribbing, make sure you catch the scud back right at the tail of the fly with your first wrap of ribbing.
 
Hope this helps  :-) 
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Rory on February 10, 2012, 10:05:18 AM
Frederick, you are coming well with your tying. (clap)
 
The first fly is the bomb, very well tied. :clwn
 
Some constructive advice on the 2nd.
 
Use thinner wire for the ribbing, it allows you more wraps = better segmentation.
 
When wrapping over the scud back with the wire, pull the scud back a bit tighter, it will become "thinner" and more in proportion to the fly.
 
If you are using the ribbing to tie down the scud back, i.e scud back is tied in at the thorax and tied down with the ribbing, make sure you catch the scud back right at the tail of the fly with your first wrap of ribbing.
 
Hope this helps  :-)

Great ties Frederick! (clap) Hermans advice is spot on. If I might add, use less dubbing on the thorax and pull the shell back material over the dubbing to tie off. This will greatly reduce the flies profile and it will sink much quicker!
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on February 16, 2012, 10:00:40 AM
a re-work of my first attempt at a bass/largie fly.

(http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa328/FCLoretz/Fly%20Fishing/2012-02-16072828.jpg)
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on February 16, 2012, 07:59:16 PM
Great stuff Frederick. Now show us what you can do on a #22  :shre:
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: FCLoretz on February 17, 2012, 09:35:55 AM
Great stuff Frederick. Now show us what you can do on a #22  :shre:

No problem, Will play wit #22 when I get hold of some!
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Lichia amia on February 17, 2012, 09:40:45 AM
Hope you got a telescope , for tying #22. He he he he. Good luck gonna be a nice challenge ! 
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Herman Jooste on February 17, 2012, 04:02:39 PM
I use Jewellers lenseswhen tying. Up to size 18 the 5X are OK.
 
Smaller than that i.e. 20 and lower, I need the 10X  :blush: :shk
 
The smallest I have tied is a 22, what a mess it was  :craz:
 
Darryl Lampert has tied a # 32 Klinkie,  :rck"  and it was perfect.  :dunno:   :dunno:
 
The pic is somewhere in the archives of Flytalk.
 
I will see if I can find it and post the link .
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on February 20, 2012, 12:03:15 PM
Here's a nice micro pattern i tied last night, it's next to a size 18 PTN for comparison.
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Lichia amia on February 20, 2012, 12:13:51 PM
Neat work  (clap) . You must have very good eyes  :resp:
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: icstuff on February 20, 2012, 12:16:25 PM
How do you get it on your line  :shk glue?
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: wernerm on February 20, 2012, 03:45:43 PM

Neat work  (clap)  . You must have very good eyes  :resp:
 


 :tkx: , no, good glasses



How do you get it on your line  :shk glue?


Hehe, no 6x tippet
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Ziggy on February 20, 2012, 06:20:16 PM
I like that fly very much - would be deadly in Olive as well - especially for small stream fishing
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Monster on March 08, 2012, 12:21:19 PM
At long last something that looks like a hopper
 
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Rory on March 08, 2012, 12:27:34 PM
Wow! Super flies Nico!  :win:
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Monster on March 08, 2012, 12:34:00 PM
Thanx Rory, I've been working on a couple of terestrial lately will post some more picks laterin the week
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: icstuff on March 08, 2012, 12:36:42 PM
At long last something that looks like a hopper

When are we trying it  :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Latest creations from the vice
Post by: Ziggy on March 08, 2012, 06:54:00 PM
At long last something that looks like a hopper

When are we trying it  :hnthnt:


Those things look so good, I could eat them myself!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal