ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Saltwater Lure Angling => Topic started by: REEFMAN on July 23, 2010, 02:47:25 PM

Title: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 23, 2010, 02:47:25 PM
These are mine... for topwater spinning and plugging
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 23, 2010, 02:48:13 PM
more...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Searaider on July 23, 2010, 03:57:25 PM
This is my lucky lure otherwise I use cuda matics,also use strike pro challenger 140
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 23, 2010, 04:51:31 PM
This is mine, caught some awesome fish with this specific lure, the halco sorcerer 90 in red and white :sml:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: SAfish on July 23, 2010, 05:15:56 PM
Great thread Tony. I also love the top water stuff.  :ayb   I have one Aubrey Da Gama chisel nose plug that out fish all the others every time. It is a standard 1.5oz but somehow it just swims differently than the rest. This will be it's 5th summer and I am sure it collected more "frequent flyer miles" than Thabo Mbeki.  (hit) 
 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 23, 2010, 05:31:58 PM
yUP as far as plugs go... my favourite by far are the Aubrey da Gama's... The GT Ice creams and the newer Needle nose plugs from Basil Manning are a close second...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: AD97 on July 23, 2010, 05:40:50 PM
A shad slayer...



Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: John F on July 23, 2010, 05:59:20 PM
Diverting a bit from the top water stuff, there 4 lures I never leave dock without:
 
Illander sea star (black/purple)
Rapala x-rap magnum (silver)
Manns stretcher 25+ (red head)
Halco sorcerer 150 crazy deep (chrome pink)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Capt. Hook on July 23, 2010, 07:13:56 PM
X-Raps
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 24, 2010, 06:42:28 PM
For Poppers... my favourites are Halco's! Gt's love Halco Roosta's...!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 24, 2010, 06:44:22 PM
Some GT's
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 24, 2010, 06:45:55 PM
More....
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: benniejordaan on July 25, 2010, 06:27:30 AM
Tony, you a machine!

I caught a sailfish on this popper!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: WalkersKiller on July 26, 2010, 01:07:56 PM
Nice Reefs, loks like you have a lot of success on the halco roosta's! :thmsup"
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Gerhard on July 26, 2010, 05:22:11 PM
I love my buck tail jigs


(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Jakkals/Fishing/P1000122.jpg)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Marshie on July 30, 2010, 03:25:16 PM
I'm with you Gerhard... Bucktail leadheads!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Marshie on July 30, 2010, 03:27:53 PM
A selection of estuary lures, from left to right:  5 inch plastics, alcocks slim spoon, storm stick, Mirrolure, Sea Gurgler, Strike pro, Predator, Skitter Walk...
 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 30, 2010, 03:30:11 PM
Marshie, you still making your own Leadheads?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Marshie on July 30, 2010, 03:30:46 PM
Surf spinning lures from left to right:  5 inch plastics, 7 inch plastics, Predator spoon, Clone stick bait, Predator Plug, Skitter Walk and Roosta.  Only thing missing is 1.5 - 2 ounce bucktails!
 
 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Marshie on July 30, 2010, 03:32:11 PM
Tony, I haven't made for some time as my lure box is still stocked and work has been nuts but still got the moulds, hooks etc!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Marshie on July 30, 2010, 03:46:38 PM
Tony, you looking for some?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: steve m on July 30, 2010, 04:00:50 PM
A selection of estuary lures, from left to right:  5 inch plastics, alcocks slim spoon, storm stick, Mirrolure, Sea Gurgler, Strike pro, Predator, Skitter Walk...

Have you had any problems with the storm stick breaking?
reasone i ask is i have had two break at the part where you atach the hooks that whole part just pulled out...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Marshie on July 30, 2010, 04:02:31 PM
Nope, but then I've only caught small leeries up to about 3 kilos on them!  Not good news!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: steve m on July 30, 2010, 04:07:37 PM
Nope, but then I've only caught small leeries up to about 3 kilos on them!  Not good news!

ive only caught elf and pinkies on the yes that right pinkies tried to eat them as i hooked 3 and all three were hooked in the mouth... but i pulled it out while stuck on a reed trying to catch bass and the second one i pulled out when i was about to change the hooks and wasnt even pulling on it with more than say 2kgs to see how strong the trebles were...
 
I know that it isnt what would happen while fishing but it still shouldnt happen...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on July 30, 2010, 05:14:51 PM
Tony, you looking for some?

Nah I've got enough... just thought I'd give your business a punt!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: WalkersKiller on August 02, 2010, 12:23:25 PM
Nice lures there Marshie :thmsup"
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: marinello599 on August 05, 2010, 09:44:04 PM
still building up my collection,..........soon,lol.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: BigG on August 12, 2010, 10:34:19 AM
They're all my favourite
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Rods on August 15, 2010, 05:29:23 PM
They're all my favourite
[/quote
Geez BigG. I can only dream. Quite a collection you have there
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: BigG on August 16, 2010, 05:07:49 PM
Thanks man, looking for a nice GT on the GT-Ice cream down in MOZ one of these days
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: BigG on August 16, 2010, 05:08:28 PM
They're all my favourite
[/quote
Geez BigG. I can only dream. Quite a collection you have there

And welcome to Ultimate mate !!
 :uarocks
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: steve m on August 16, 2010, 09:45:36 PM
Nice Chris!
hows that 2 baits in one drop!!!!
do you guys get alot of sarda up there
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Tommo on August 17, 2010, 09:21:56 AM
Here is my favourite selection of lures for estuary fishing. Pretty much along the same lines as Marshie. What can I say the good stuff is the good stuff! If I could take ten lures on an estuary fishing outing these would be my first choice:

 Top To Bottom:
1) Predator Chisel Nose Plug
2) Storm Rattlin' Chug Bug
3) Rapala Skitter Walk
4) 4" or 5" Plastics
5) Bomber Long A
6) Rapala X-Rap slashbait
7) MirrOlure 7M
8) Slim Spoon
9) Bucktail Jig
10) Rapala Clackin' Rap
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on August 17, 2010, 09:28:57 AM
Tommo... I'm suprised Onde Onda's don't make your top 10...?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Tommo on August 17, 2010, 09:31:42 AM
They are in for the surf or offshore, but in the estuary some of these others cover the same job... Onde Onda's are a great lure, essentially a fairly heavily weighted stickbait.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Rods on August 17, 2010, 10:20:18 AM
Can you guys please recommend a couple of lures i could buy which would cover most applications  in Zululand area.  Looking to start my collection, but scared to waste money on something which just wont do the trick
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on August 17, 2010, 10:30:20 AM
Rods have a look at the opening post of this thread... those are my favourites for fishing the Surf North Coast KZN. The only thing I would add to that is perhaps a Needle nose plug?
But Tommo is the real expert on this facet... would like to hear his thoughts on spinning the Surf Zone.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Tommo on August 17, 2010, 11:53:23 AM
Reefz you have it pretty much 100%. For the surf I would get: Onde Onda's, 47g Halco Rooster Poppers, Iron Candy spoons, Sea Iron Taunter spoons, Halco Max, some bucktail jigs, dropshots and a selection of chisel and needle nose plugs.
 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: BigG on August 17, 2010, 11:58:57 AM
Hi Tommo

Could i ask what colour bucktail Jigs are flavour of the month, surely different colours for different lighting and water conditions ?

I thought Onda Onda's were only for use from the boat, now i hear you guys use them successfully in the surf.... I learnt something new today
Any chance you have pictures of catches from the surf on Onda Onda's ?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Tommo on August 17, 2010, 12:09:20 PM
Hi BigG
Lure colours are always a tricky one, as what works today may not be best tomorrow. Having said that, there are a few colours of Bucktail jigs that seem to stand out. I like yellow, or a mix of yellow and white. Olive green with a white head, grey with a white head, chartreuse and white and plain black are all good colours. The rule of thumb is generally bright light = bright lure, dark light = dark lure.
Onde Onda's work well wherever you can get them in front of fish. They are excellent in the surf, I have caught a large variety of fish off the beach with them including some big GTs and King mackerel. They can be retrieved as fast as possible, rihght below thesurface, which is a good retrieve and gives them a good action for when the fish are nice and aggressive. They can also be allowed to sink to the bottom and then retrieved with a nice twitching action, which often gets a hit when things are quieter...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on August 17, 2010, 12:25:11 PM
Awesome, thanks Tommo... more cred for you!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: BigG on August 17, 2010, 12:44:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback Tommo, appreciate it

Ahhhh thanks goodness i have an excuse to go to the tackle shop again this weekend... I need Onda onda's now.... hehe

....and some more cred from me as well
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: WalkersKiller on August 18, 2010, 12:42:07 PM
Here is my new favourite lure, picked it up at the boksburg flee market for 30 bucks (Sorry about the picture quality) its about 4 cm and should do a lot of damage in the Eastern Cape rivers and might catch a few bass, yellows and papermouth at loskop dam!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Rods on August 18, 2010, 01:50:22 PM
Thanks Reefs and Tommo. Now for some shopping. He he he
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: ignoblis on August 23, 2010, 07:03:49 AM
I bought a couple of these but am still to test them. They look like smaller but heavier Onde Ondes.
ignoblis

http://www.yamaria.co.jp/english/maria/maria_syou36.htm (http://www.yamaria.co.jp/english/maria/maria_syou36.htm)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on June 18, 2012, 11:55:40 AM
Time to spice this thread up a bit again...

Here are some more Halco Roosta catches...

Red and Whites
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on June 18, 2012, 11:57:41 AM
More...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on June 18, 2012, 11:59:08 AM
Pink and Yellow....
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on June 18, 2012, 12:00:51 PM
Pink is cool.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on June 18, 2012, 12:02:23 PM
And some Red head Seawoods
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Parasite on June 18, 2012, 12:37:28 PM
Some of the Maria Duplex found useful for snoek and shad, including the good ol trusty S Bend spoon.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: CLS on June 18, 2012, 01:33:00 PM
Reef waht size and make of single do you use on the onda onda ??
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on June 18, 2012, 01:52:18 PM
Nowadays I use Gamakatsu, Daiichi or Mustad Big Guns - 4/0
I think those in the pic are Gamakatsu Spinnerbait hooks - long shank - .
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 24, 2012, 09:59:16 AM
Got to add some of these from our recent trip:

Macarthy Minnow

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/100_1300.jpg)

Berkley camo Worm

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_1736.jpg)

Small Curly Tails

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_0400.jpg)

Toby Spoon

(http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc440/WalkersKiller/IMG_0397.jpg)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 11, 2013, 08:51:25 PM
 w;k ..Some brand spanking new LS , DS and Fat Ladies getting thrown!!!...Another thing I love about fishing...The ability to design and mould your own spoons...many hours have been spent in this garage do just that......Then testing them in the pool to see that they "swim" properly and then the anticipation to go and test them for real!!!!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 11, 2013, 08:53:01 PM
 :hnthnt: The real deal!!!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Charles on July 12, 2013, 08:52:33 AM
Great stuff Venechi. Any pics of the finished spoons?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 09:12:31 AM
Great stuff Venechi. Any pics of the finished spoons?
:corrct: Mornings Charles....here we go!!...LS on the left ...Fugly in the middle and my favourite shad spoon the DS
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 09:14:55 AM
 w;k Here the LS getting retro fitted and busy being "balanced"..SS No7 med split ring , they the thinnest and strongest..no swivel and a 7/0 short shank live bait hook.....
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Charles on July 12, 2013, 09:37:41 AM
Those spoons look awesome Venechi. (Have to admit I never caught a fish in the sea with a spoon though).
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 12, 2013, 09:43:55 AM
Excuse the stupid question but can these be used from the shore ? if so how do you cast the light cranks ( by the way I have most of these cranks in my bass tackle box  w;k  )
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 09:45:38 AM
Those spoons look awesome Venechi. (Have to admit I never caught a fish in the sea with a spoon though).
:corrct: Jip...thats what I do...I only use spoon and most part the ones I make and tin...I have a few favourite commercial ones like the toby from Gremlins on the KZN South coast and the KF2S and the long slim from Akals...BUT...other than that I use my own...Hunt mainly kob and of course when the shad are running AND...My dream a piggy on a sandbank!!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 09:51:13 AM
Excuse the stupid question but can these be used from the shore ? if so how do you cast the light cranks ( by the way I have most of these cranks in my bass tackle box  w;k  )
:-) There is no stupid question......The LS is a 2oz , the Fugly is a 1.5 oz and the DS is a 1,5 oz....My outfit is a SL30 shod with .43 Okuma MaxTough and the SL sits on a 1053H KF Stimulator...I find this a light enough combo to gooi all day and still walk a fair distance without getting knakkered......the way I was taught to throw light spoons by my toppie is ...throw hard and brake hard.....Smooth action is what its all about...A lazy thumb will most certaintly cause you downtime by sorting out overwinds.......BUT..thats then my choice of weapons...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Parasite on July 12, 2013, 09:55:03 AM
Excuse the stupid question but can these be used from the shore ? if so how do you cast the light cranks ( by the way I have most of these cranks in my bass tackle box  w;k  )
Here in KZN they are commonly referred to as the "S" bend spoon. They work extremely well for shad and are a popular choice of lure fishing from the shore line with anglers. They sort of became know around 1974/75, and then were difficult to obtain. They were a blend of White Metal and Tin. These spoons are available is all tackle shops including those on the middle South Coast.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 10:07:36 AM
Excuse the stupid question but can these be used from the shore ? if so how do you cast the light cranks ( by the way I have most of these cranks in my bass tackle box  w;k  )
Here in KZN they are commonly referred to as the "S" bend spoon. They work extremely well for shad and are a popular choice of lure fishing from the shore line with anglers. They sort of became know around 1974/75, and then were difficult to obtain. They were a blend of White Metal and Tin. These spoons are available is all tackle shops including those on the middle South Coast.
:corrct: Those are my names for my spoons.....the ones found commercially are not quite the same ....especially the Fugly and FatLady...BUT...in different applications they all push water differently...thats why I always go on a outing with at least 5 different spoons in my bag........
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 12, 2013, 10:09:48 AM
I have a 12ft Loomis Rod paired with a Shimano Sahara 4000 Reel, my line is Kingfisher High Abrasion ( cant remember the weight but its around 40lbs )
It casts beautifully and is light enough to fish for hours.  I have a few spoons which a friend gave me but have not used them. I have to try it
 
 
 
 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 12, 2013, 10:10:35 AM
I feel a visit to Kings coming on  :-)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 10:11:04 AM
I have a 12ft Loomis Rod paired with a Shimano Sahara 4000 Reel, my line is Kingfisher High Abrasion ( cant remember the weight but its around 40lbs )
It casts beautifully and is light enough to fish for hours.  I have a few spoons which a friend gave me but have not used them. I have to try it
:corrct: :corrct: :corrct: Throw DA METAL!!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Charles on July 12, 2013, 10:43:33 AM
I feel a visit to Kings coming on  :-)
Hmmm Debbie you also addicted to tackle? Suffering from TA? :hehe:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 12, 2013, 10:46:29 AM
I have a 12ft Loomis Rod paired with a Shimano Sahara 4000 Reel, my line is Kingfisher High Abrasion ( cant remember the weight but its around 40lbs )
It casts beautifully and is light enough to fish for hours.  I have a few spoons which a friend gave me but have not used them. I have to try it
:corrct: :corrct: :corrct: Throw DA METAL!!

Will do
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 12, 2013, 10:47:46 AM
I feel a visit to Kings coming on  :-)
Hmmm Debbie you also addicted to tackle? Suffering from TA? :hehe:
Im afraid most women buy shoes and bags ........ I buy fishing tackle. It gets very expensive when you follow three disciplines ( Bassing, Flyfishing and Salt water )
 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 10:54:35 AM
I feel a visit to Kings coming on  :-)
Hmmm Debbie you also addicted to tackle? Suffering from TA? :hehe:
Im afraid most women buy shoes and bags ........ I buy fishing tackle. It gets very expensive when you follow three disciplines ( Bassing, Flyfishing and Salt water )
:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :win:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Parasite on July 12, 2013, 11:07:39 AM
I have a 12ft Loomis Rod paired with a Shimano Sahara 4000 Reel, my line is Kingfisher High Abrasion ( cant remember the weight but its around 40lbs )
It casts beautifully and is light enough to fish for hours.  I have a few spoons which a friend gave me but have not used them. I have to try it
If may offer a suggestion, I would spool that reel with 15lb mono line, the lighter line will not cause too much drag on your spoon in the water, and will give it a better action. These spoons need to be retrieved very fast. Also, you need to put a  No. 5 x 1/2 m steel wire leader, when your spoon bounces over the rocks the line starts to fray and gets damaged and eventually you loose the spoon.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: John F on July 12, 2013, 11:13:38 AM
I feel your pain Debbie... and obviously, you also need to buy shoes and bags (eventually)!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Zetti on July 12, 2013, 11:25:24 AM
I feel your pain Debbie... and obviously, you also need to buy shoes and bags (eventually)!

Hand bags or tackle bags? :dunno:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: John F on July 12, 2013, 11:26:41 AM
Both!! :hehe:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 12, 2013, 11:37:01 AM

If may offer a suggestion, I would spool that reel with 15lb mono line, the lighter line will not cause too much drag on your spoon in the water, and will give it a better action. These spoons need to be retrieved very fast. Also, you need to put a  No. 5 x 1/2 m steel wire leader, when your spoon bounces over the rocks the line starts to fray and gets damaged and eventually you loose the spoon.

 
Thanks for that ....... i need another rod and reel guys  :shk
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on July 12, 2013, 11:38:20 AM
I have a 12ft Loomis Rod paired with a Shimano Sahara 4000 Reel, my line is Kingfisher High Abrasion ( cant remember the weight but its around 40lbs )
It casts beautifully and is light enough to fish for hours.  I have a few spoons which a friend gave me but have not used them. I have to try it
If may offer a suggestion, I would spool that reel with 15lb mono line, the lighter line will not cause too much drag on your spoon in the water, and will give it a better action. These spoons need to be retrieved very fast. Also, you need to put a  No. 5 x 1/2 m steel wire leader, when your spoon bounces over the rocks the line starts to fray and gets damaged and eventually you loose the spoon.
w;k Sorry..Bud...here I disagree...the wire trace/leader is ganna effect the "action" of the spoon...rather take the main line , do a bimini , join , not a swivel , to a clear 60lb meter long nylon  trace onto your kwik clip and then onto the spoon...I have NEVER been bitten off by a kob , leerie OR shad for that matter!!!..AND..I fish over the bricks all the time.....I have tested the action with a wire trace AND it  makes the spoon swim "funny"....Sorry just my opinion....
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 12, 2013, 11:42:15 AM
I feel your pain Debbie... and obviously, you also need to buy shoes and bags (eventually)!
Please dont remind me ........ luckily I inherited a few beautiful Italian leather handbags from my late mother-in-law.
 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 09, 2013, 08:22:25 AM
Hi guys what do you think of these lures? are they a good colour and does it matter what colour the belly is? From top to bottom... Rapala Walk, Rapala Sub Walk, and the Storm flutter stick. :dunno:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Poenskop on October 10, 2013, 07:53:20 AM
Nice selection for the EC estuaries. Those fluttersticks have an amazing action and is a very underrated lure. My only gripe with them is the casting ability. I would only add a white XRAP-Walk to your arsenal and maybe a bucktail or two.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 10, 2013, 08:41:34 AM
Yeah I was thinking a white X Rap walk would work, got a few bucktails.  :tkx:  Poenskop!!!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: WalkersKiller on October 10, 2013, 08:49:59 AM
Gav that second lure will smash the  :grk:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on October 10, 2013, 09:21:57 AM
Just lose the trebles Gav ---> fish friendly.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 10, 2013, 09:40:57 AM
I had a few chases on it when I was down in EC Gareth, it has an awesome action.
I was also thinking of replacing the hooks Reefs but then you loose the red feathers, would that make a difference?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on October 10, 2013, 10:29:22 AM
I had a few chases on it when I was down in EC Gareth, it has an awesome action.
I was also thinking of replacing the hooks Reefs but then you loose the red feathers, would that make a difference?

Somehow doubt they would make a huge difference, but you can cut them off and glue them onto the Single with some Knotsense?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 10, 2013, 11:05:39 AM
Yeah I think thats a better Idea!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: RobinF on October 11, 2013, 08:07:47 AM
Ok ok, Connor (my 11yr old son) loves his lures, and since he can keep these for a long time, I don't mind sponsoring his love for the 'outdoors'. These are his:

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC00554_zps597a9ffd.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC00555_zps3e5164fa.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC00556_zps5126d096.jpg)

(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC00557_zpsf64e6015.jpg)

His Lure box/bag:
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/DSC00558_zps4029a70c.jpg)

SO the mammoth task of changing all the treble hooks into fish 'friendly' singles begins...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Parasite on October 11, 2013, 08:15:10 AM
Some years back a competetive bass angler gave me a tip with these top water lures and suggested I fix a heavier gauge hook on the back of the lure and thinner gauged hook in the middle. His theory was that the lure produced a better action in the water when you "walked the dog". I've been doing this since then and can honestly say I belive that the good fish I've landed are a result of this. Perhaps you may wish to try this out.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: RobinF on October 11, 2013, 08:17:25 AM
Thanks Parasite, I will do this.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 12, 2013, 11:00:30 AM
I would do my nut for a collection like that... lucky little guy!!! that hook idea makes a lot of sense I think im going to try that out thanks Parasite.   
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: RobinF on October 12, 2013, 11:55:17 AM
Part of my boy's collection was funded after he won the Rock Surf and Deep competition in December 2011. He got two prizes that I bought from him and he used that money to started building his collection. (He had caught a nice big White Steenbras in Winter on the Knysna Lagoon, we released the fish safely.)
(http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/robinflood/P7010113_zps781ef8a9.jpg)

We always buy a couple of new lures each time we go away, you just never know what will take on what. So we keep changing lures until we get the fish's attention.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 14, 2013, 02:46:41 PM
Guys what is the better colour for the Iron Candy lumo spoon, bright green or the darker green? :dunno:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: REEFMAN on October 14, 2013, 03:48:39 PM
Bright green for bright conditions, dark green for dusk/dawn...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 14, 2013, 04:57:54 PM
Aaaaahhhh that makes sense thanks reefs!!! :tkx: 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 02:43:14 PM
My favourite lures ...

Hard Plastic.

1. Rapala subsurface walk the dog.
2. Rapala MaxRap
3.Rapala Jointed Shad
4. Halco Max
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 02:58:20 PM
My favourite lures ...

Soft Plastic.

1. McArthy ptail Shad
2.McArthy Jerk Minnow
3. McArthy Jerk Minnow Orca
4.McArthy Sprats
5.Berkey Mullet.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2013, 04:11:47 PM
Nice selection Carl what do you target mainly with these lures? :fshn: 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 05:22:35 PM
Hi Gavin

Mostly Kingies and Garrick and the McArthy Sprats work very nice 3 Spot Pompano's. They like the fast jerking motion retrieve of

the sprats. I know the guys down in the Cape have great success with the McAthy catching Cob. 
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2013, 05:26:04 PM
And colours? :dunno:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 06:01:05 PM
Gavin in clear water conditions I use the watermelon Green and Pearl colour (the McArthy Jerk minnow in my pic)pic )and darker

water conditions the Orca and dark purple colour (that black/blue jerk minnow with the white belly in my pic). Lures with Silver

"flash" are my favoured colour because I think it looks more natural ,like a sardien or mullet. My most favoured lure of all ?... its

the Rapala MaxRap !!! Its a Flutter stick the flutter slowly down to the bottom when you pause your retrieve and it you "jerk" the

lure it darts to the left and right !
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Charles on October 30, 2013, 06:19:50 PM
Hi Gavin

Mostly Kingies and Garrick and the McArthy Sprats work very nice 3 Spot Pompano's. They like the fast jerking motion retrieve of

the sprats. I know the guys down in the Cape have great success with the McAthy catching Cob.
The MC paddle tail is my choice for cob. Very slow jerky retrieve on the bottom.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2013, 06:50:04 PM
Fantastic info thanks carll im going to St Lucia at the end of the year so im soaking up all this info, it wont go to waist. I have a pack of Mc paddle tails in a light brown with a white belly hopping to get some cob or "a cob" with them Charles.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2013, 06:52:38 PM
How heavy is the Rapala Max Rap? Is it easy to cast?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Charles on October 30, 2013, 07:16:07 PM
Fantastic info thanks carll im going to St Lucia at the end of the year so im soaking up all this info, it wont go to waist. I have a pack of Mc paddle tails in a light brown with a white belly hopping to get some cob or "a cob" with them Charles.
The light brown / white is good for estuaries here in the Mosselbay area. For the surf I would recommend white.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Shivaan on October 30, 2013, 07:25:57 PM
1. Strikepro Arc minnow
2. GT needle nose 1.5oz
3. GT needle nose 3oz
4. CID couta casting #1pink glow
5. CID couta casting #2 green glow
6. 1oz pink bucktail
7. 1.5oz chart/white bucktail
8. Sensation cracker.

Not shown soft plastics
1. Berkley cammo sandworm
2. Mcarthy 5" jerk minnow olive/pearl
3. Mcarthy 5" paddletail chart/pearl
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2013, 07:36:40 PM
Great selection Shivaan I was thinking of getting one of those Sensation crackers, do they work?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Cam Mundy on October 30, 2013, 07:45:12 PM
Heres some of my gt lurres for something out of left field
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 07:52:13 PM
WOW Cam !

You have a great lure selection there !  (clap)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 08:02:22 PM
Gavin there are two MaxRapmodels available.The MR15 (23gr) and the MR17 ( 28gr-1oz) The Max casts like a dream.

Here's Rapala's review ... Designed for maximum casting distance, the MaxRap® features an   aerodynamic shape that combines

with its patented internal MaxCast   mechanism to deliver unbelievable distance with every cast.  Tip to   tail, the MaxRap is equipped

with every imaginable maximum feature   including laser engraved scales, VMC® Spark Point hooks and superior   quality

components. Rip it for darting, wild searching action or use a   straight retrieve for a hard-flashing “wounded-minnow”
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2013, 08:21:10 PM
Thanks Carll I think you mite have just sold it to me, do you catch many fish on it? What colour do you recommend?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Shivaan on October 30, 2013, 08:58:32 PM
Great selection Shivaan I was thinking of getting one of those Sensation crackers, do they work?
Not sure Gavin. Got it last week and havnt gotten a chance to use it. Going to try to get some grunter with it at the bay. Not sure about the retrieve also but I imagine one would let it sink and work it with a twitch?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on October 30, 2013, 09:02:15 PM
Sort of like the Rapala Sub Walk?

Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on October 30, 2013, 09:37:53 PM
Thanks Carll I think you mite have just sold it to me, do you catch many fish on it? What colour do you recommend?

    Gavin the silver one works for me. I saw it’s also one of  Barry Wareham's favourite lures
   http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15201.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=15201.0)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Shivaan on October 31, 2013, 08:03:09 AM
Sort of like the Rapala Sub Walk?


That would be one way to work it. I dont see why it wouldnt work.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: dugong on October 31, 2013, 08:31:25 AM
For small feesh :cout:....................and for bigger feesh :dor: :sailf:..................and for biggest feesh :billf:!!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: dugong on October 31, 2013, 08:32:32 AM
 :billf:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Zetti on October 31, 2013, 08:52:49 AM
These bad boys look very interesting, saw the Freespool chaps have been using them
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: tkei on October 31, 2013, 09:05:43 AM
Dugong. I have that same colour widerange large. swims beautifully, always in the water, here and in Kenya and its yet to catch a fish (any fish) really weird.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: dugong on October 31, 2013, 09:19:14 AM
Yip that happens but two years ago I saw an two occasions where small blacks would go through the whole spread to get to it in the inside rigger - we had 5 pulls and stuck one in 2 days!! That and the yellow Bonito Smoker(flat line transom pinned) is ALWAYS in the spread!!
Callum Looman, a top marlin skipper in Kenya(Tarka) reckons the purple/black 1 size up is his best marlin lure!! :hnthnt:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: devesh.r on February 06, 2014, 10:27:57 PM
1. Strikepro Arc minnow
2. GT needle nose 1.5oz
3. GT needle nose 3oz
4. CID couta casting #1pink glow
5. CID couta casting #2 green glow
6. 1oz pink bucktail
7. 1.5oz chart/white bucktail
8. Sensation cracker.

Not shown soft plastics
1. Berkley cammo sandworm
2. Mcarthy 5" jerk minnow olive/pearl
3. Mcarthy 5" paddletail chart/pearl

Hi you have great collection there please, what fish have you caught on these lures. And what the best was of fishing them.

Thanks
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Shivaan on February 07, 2014, 10:28:11 AM
1. Strikepro Arc minnow
2. GT needle nose 1.5oz
3. GT needle nose 3oz
4. CID couta casting #1pink glow
5. CID couta casting #2 green glow
6. 1oz pink bucktail
7. 1.5oz chart/white bucktail
8. Sensation cracker.

Not shown soft plastics
1. Berkley cammo sandworm
2. Mcarthy 5" jerk minnow olive/pearl
3. Mcarthy 5" paddletail chart/pearl

Hi you have great collection there please, what fish have you caught on these lures. And what the best was of fishing them.

Thanks


Howzit Devesh
Honestly, I havnt caught anything on these lures. Thats because I have not fished with them much. I do not like the feel of the lures when fished with mono. Waiting to get myself some braid before i use the lures again.
As for the retrieves, each one is different, and each one is suited to different conditions.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: carll on February 07, 2014, 11:55:54 AM
Hi Devesh

Look under Saltwater Lure Angling section. There's a lot of information there about lures and "how to" info

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?board=5.0 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?board=5.0)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Lofty on October 07, 2014, 09:55:29 PM
With summer nearly here I thought I'd share some of my lures...my favourites so far are my bucktails,I think they're a little underated... :clwn and any other lure that catches me some fish... w;k
2nd pic top right I picked up this past weekend,in the middle of the same row has resulted in a screamer(think big :grk:  at Gouritzriver)but the knot parted... :cry: very thin and tired braid that was replaced today.. :-(
3rd pic right are just some home-mades...
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on October 08, 2014, 08:19:31 AM
With summer nearly here I thought I'd share some of my lures...my favourites so far are my bucktails,I think they're a little underated... :clwn and any other lure that catches me some fish... w;k
2nd pic top right I picked up this past weekend,in the middle of the same row has resulted in a screamer(think big :grk:  at Gouritzriver)but the knot parted... :cry: very thin and tired braid that was replaced today.. :-(
3rd pic right are just some home-mades...
:win: ...I like those homemades!!!!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on October 08, 2014, 08:27:15 AM
 :hnthnt: ..A few of my favourites....
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Charles on October 08, 2014, 09:03:07 AM
:hnthnt: ..A few of my favourites....

Some cob slayers you have there Sir!
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Lofty on October 08, 2014, 09:20:51 AM
eish Kent,I almost needed my sunnies to look at them... :clwn yes,those are just some of my home-mades,some unique actions that will never be duplicated... :blush: :hehe:  here is the thread I posted when I made them... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14866.msg242065#msg242065 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14866.msg242065#msg242065)
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on October 08, 2014, 09:57:12 AM
eish Kent,I almost needed my sunnies to look at them... :clwn yes,those are just some of my home-mades,some unique actions that will never be duplicated... :blush: :hehe:  here is the thread I posted when I made them... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14866.msg242065#msg242065 (http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14866.msg242065#msg242065)
:hyst: :hyst: :hehe:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Kent on October 08, 2014, 09:58:11 AM
:hnthnt: ..A few of my favourites....

Some cob slayers you have there Sir!
:hnthnt: ..Jip..they all have a kobbie to their names.....some more than most!!! :hehe:
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: smiley6996 on January 18, 2015, 08:25:27 AM
My favorite lure buy a long way many trips it's the only lure I use on the hole outing it always gets the pulls
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: gavin erwin on January 18, 2015, 08:32:04 AM
Red head in particular smiley?
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Plugger on January 18, 2015, 10:07:06 AM
Seems I'm alone with my Abu Garcia Toby (not the Midas knock off). Always my first choice for Kingies and Shad. Number 2 would be the Onde Onda, again the original of which I am fast running out. Replace the trebles with singles and change the split rings on the Abu.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: smiley6996 on January 18, 2015, 11:41:23 AM
Red head in particular smiley?

I love the redhead although I have caught on most colors redhead very close to my hart
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 16, 2015, 02:40:47 PM
I caught my first shad ever two weekends back. I ran out of sards so decided to try a spoon

the spoon with the red tips is the one i used.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: lebaka on July 16, 2015, 02:45:41 PM
I caught my first shad ever two weekends back. I ran out of sards so decided to try a spoon

the spoon with the red tips is the one i used.

nice garrick in your profile pic debbie  (clap)

............and welcome back
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Debbie on July 16, 2015, 02:50:35 PM
Thank you, that was caught last year. Im hoping to repeat the same this year during my annual fishing holiday at St Lucia in August.

Its nice to be back ......
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Plugger on July 16, 2015, 06:57:07 PM
Rested the Abu and used the Purple Onde Onda the last two weekends. Caught in excess of 50 shad (all released). It actually got a bit boring as they couldn't leave it alone. Hook and cook brigade were not overly impressed.
Title: Re: Show us your favourite lures
Post by: Shaun17 on July 17, 2015, 12:20:23 PM
My new favourite... Maxrap 17 - Sardine colour
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal