ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => THE GRINDER REVOLUTION => Topic started by: Sylvester on November 22, 2011, 03:04:01 PM

Title: Leader on a straight braid setup
Post by: Sylvester on November 22, 2011, 03:04:01 PM
What is the recommended leader length on a straight braid setup. Bearing in mind that I will be fishing "in the bricks". Also casting distance is not an issue as the fish are generally within 50m.


For interest sake it is 50lb braid on a 7000 Penn grinder. I will be using my 110H rod, yes even with its small eyes.
Title: Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
Post by: REEFMAN on November 22, 2011, 03:09:10 PM
Craig, as far as I'm aware, most of the pro's who do this (Barry Wareham, Wally Watt etc) all use a leader of 1m or so, keeping the swivel (or knot) outside the rod tip guide...
Title: Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
Post by: Sylvester on November 22, 2011, 03:16:16 PM
Craig, as far as I'm aware, most of the pro's who do this (Barry Wareham, Wally Watt etc) all use a leader of 1m or so, keeping the swivel (or knot) outside the rod tip guide...


That is how I have been doing it for the past couple of years, wasn't sure whether I was right or not. Granted I have always used it for drift baiting for elf and throwing spoons. Also concerned about using it that way for the bricks! Reckon I should stick with what I was doing then!
Title: Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
Post by: REEFMAN on November 22, 2011, 03:18:48 PM
Think this is what you're looking for... a GREAT article discussing leader lengths (http://www.basilmanning.co.za/barry-s-blog/interesting-articles-written-by-barry-wareham/casting-with-long-mono-leaders-on-a-fixed-spool-reel.html) on Fixed spool reels by the master Barry Wareham.
Title: Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
Post by: Sylvester on November 22, 2011, 03:28:35 PM
Shot for the link!
Title: Re: Leader on a straight braid setup
Post by: Angler 1 on December 04, 2011, 08:59:16 PM
craig i have been fishing a standard length leader for comp, i use a hundred pound braided leader , it as
lsohelps with the casting if you want to eally load , i fished varkenvlei with a musselcracker waft that i got redone for grinder a nd a tika , had no issue wit the big sandies in the bricks , i use 100lb whiplash, i use the same on my ultegra with 50lb braid as main line and a waft zambezi for heavy grinder we were throwing whole makies against the wind on sat with no issue
 
 
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal