ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => THE GRINDER REVOLUTION => Topic started by: BigBass on November 15, 2011, 01:56:39 PM
-
I have seen some interesting things on the 'net about positioning the "Bionic Finger" (Breakaway Cannon) for grinder fishing in the surf and thought I would share ...
The standard "Basil Manning" way - controlled with forefinger: Quote: "The Bionic Finger should be located as close to the centre of the spool of the fixed spool reel as possible, in other words immediately above the reel seat and the reel seat should be fitted in the wind-up position rather than the conventional wind-down as in multipliers. It is also strongly recommended that the Bionic Finger is off-set to the right hand side for right-handed people. This is when the rod is viewed from above with the reel hanging below. This makes it much easier to use when fishing as the rod does not have to be twisted for you to see what you are doing. A left-handed person should off-set the Bionic Finger to the left."
The "Multiplier" way - controlled with thumb (apparently originally recommended by John Holden):The "Bionic Finger" is rotated from the standard (bottom) position and located on the top of the rod using your thumb to release - index and middle finger on each side of the reel foot and thumb on top as a release - just as you would cast your multiplier! This is well worth a try as it may feel more "natural" to casters used to multipliers. Distance and accuracy is also said to improve and it reduces "line slap" on the release, too.
Seems worth a try! Has anyone had 1st hand experience with this?
Posted this on another Forum a while back - got quite few views, but no response ...
-
Well you know now why this is the Ultimate forum!
I suppose mounting it in the multiplier fashion would work just those angles would put me off a bit though I'm sure its all in the mind. I haven't experienced any major issues with it mounted in the "basil manning" way so I'm happy to continue
-
Very interesting Bigbass - I have only cast with a multiplier, battle with a grinder, and am now practising with my new grinder set-up. This is definitely worth a try! I will report back on my attempts. :shre: !!
-
Hi all , Are there any videos available on how to use the Bionic Finger ?
-
GT I know this is an old forum and maybe you found your vid. Below are two links which I found usefull.
http://www.breakawayusa.com/products/accessories/cannon/ (http://www.breakawayusa.com/products/accessories/cannon/)
-
And another
Breakaway Cannon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQUBGgwjAWQ#) :hehe:
-
I see he wraps the braid twice around the BF?? Interesting, i wrap once only? Must try it !!! :cg:
-
Thanks a million Charles. Never did find my vid. ULTIMATELY........ :ult: rocks !!!
-
Have tried the different positions...the one under the blank works best for me. If you go to using a Mono leader you will see why. It causes havock going through the guides. The closer to the centre of the oscillation in flight the better.
By the way, it is recommended to wind the braid around twice as it grips better and gives a better release with no slip. The bionic fingers biggest advantage for me is the fact I set my drag for fish-fighting and then leave it. Without the bionic finger you need to tighten your drag (to avoid cutting your finger)and loosen with a fish on. If you forget or are spinning, this often leads to a lost fish.
-
I haven't watched the video.
I replied when I had just bought the 14000 with 50lb braid. Since fishing with the 5500 and 30lb braid, I have learnt a lot. I wind the braid 3x around the bionic finger otherwise it does slip and the cast goes right. I was also advised to put the bionic finger as close to opposite the centre of the spool as possible to achieve max distance. I have to cable tie my bionic finger onto my rod every time I fish and it is not possible for me to centre it, so I cable tie it as close to the reel as I can. I don't change my drag setting before or after casting either which is so much easier when fighting a fish.