ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Shore Angling => THE GRINDER REVOLUTION => Topic started by: Sylvester on October 30, 2011, 07:29:21 PM
-
The grinder revolution, from my limited experience, was brought on by the guys in Natal and Zululand. My question is what was the main reason for the switch to Grinders and straight braid?
-
Hey Craig from what i hear , it was to gain distance to banks hat were un attainable then with the serious currents and wind the drag is limted , i experienced it first hand yesterday in that awful west that came around during the comp ,then sensitivity further than that i have no idea! but its lekker and im having a ball with my two setups!
-
The ability to cast that far I think is the number 1 reason. For me its also the fact that fighting anything on braid is so direct.
-
I don't see distance as a factor...they just don't throw as far as a multiplier! I saw this today firsthand and also saw it at Nationals. They just don't throw as far as a multiplier when skilled, or semi skilled depending on your point of view, anglers are at the helm of both (maybe for inexperienced fishermen there is a difference), hence my question.
What I heard...... there was a need for thinner line (no brainer to use braid) to counteract the side current and therefore a grinder was required to cope with throwing the braid since overwinds are dangerous with multipliers.
-
Craig I have had this debate with a couple of CG anglers. It will depend on the angler as to whether you gain distance with the grinder or not. I battle with my multipliers to get good distance, I can hit 100m easily but anything over and above that my technique let's me down. Yes I could work on it and improve but to be honest being a 2nd year law student I don't have much free time to devote to casting so the grinder suits me well. I can bang a cast as hard as I want and it doesn't cause an overwind.
For an angler already throwing a multiplier 150m distance shouldn't be a deciding factor. If you need to be throwing further than that I'd say you're either not wading far enough or fishing the wrong spot
-
Craig I have had this debate with a couple of CG anglers. It will depend on the angler as to whether you gain distance with the grinder or not. I battle with my multipliers to get good distance, I can hit 100m easily but anything over and above that my technique let's me down. Yes I could work on it and improve but to be honest being a 2nd year law student I don't have much free time to devote to casting so the grinder suits me well. I can bang a cast as hard as I want and it doesn't cause an overwind.
For an angler already throwing a multiplier 150m distance shouldn't be a deciding factor. If you need to be throwing further than that I'd say you're either not wading far enough or fishing the wrong spot
I hear you!
To me the grinders feel very cumbersome! The direct feel of the braid is awesome. I have a 10ft stick with a grinder and straight braid, works a charm when throwing drift baits for Elf and when they hit the bait it is awesome! Further than that ....give me a multiplier any day. Problem is with a forest of poles that have braid running off them it is going to be tough to get a fish out at nationals if you not part of the "revolution" there is a BIG chance of being cut off through no fault of your own!
-
Craig i dont have a problem with distance with a multiplier , i fished my way to A Nationals with a multiplier anyway, and i still have al my trini's, Dc'S ,30 a's, and saltigas's infact i still use them all ,but hey its a new thing its exciting and it works , and having 50lbs breaking strain under 0,2 mm is also fantastic, there are many guys that have converted completely, i still fish my multipliers and love them equally, i must say the edible fishing has been great with braid , super light , no worries in the dark about overwinds and stuff , if your setup is right you shouldnt get wind knot , i have had none so far , since i got the ultegra and have recorded one with the sarogosa, many guys have chosen not to venture into it, an di have seen recently so many in our league that has gone right to the extent of getting more than one setup! i particulairly enjoy fishing the wind with no problems and now i have the gear that permits me to do that , Anand threw a whole makie yesterday at Allemans with the wind a Finor Grinder rod and ultegra way over the backline and got a pull within five minutes , unfortunately the fish was lost , but by the way it shot its bolt it was a good fish! , with thicker line i doubt that distance would have been reached, now i know yu guys can show claim to long throws , but then agan alot of us boys in the league can throw , put a grinder in your hands and ill bet you will out cast your multiplier , remember distance and height over water cannot be accuratley judged, and sadly the heavier you go with abgrinder the more difficult it gets to throw far , it was not started to really throw massive baits , but the again have you senn how far they throw carp bombs :hehe: , i personally dont throw bigger than a flapped makie head , but im gona try a whole makie soon lol!if you wann aget a rod speak to i i have new contacts at WAFT for crazy prices you cant say NO!
-
so dont get cut off and get yourself a 50lb set up lol, you know all them Natal Boys gona be fishing braid!
-
Besides the sensitivity of fishing with braid and ease of casting with a grinder , especially at night , as no worrying about overwinds etc , i've paired up my Saltiga 5000 with a Poseidon Gold Class spinning rod for up to 3oz with a bait , nice and easy for scratching or throwing plugs ,spoons and plastics with jighead , but im still sold on the multipliers with angling for getting bigger baits out at night.
-
another advantage , if you wade -say chest deep , with a normal pendulam cast at that depthe it aint gona work but with a fairly large bait and grinder you can punt it out so much further i tried this this week and it works - i swear , come away so easlily with no effort really! where as with the multiplier you got to get that spool rolling bru!
-
I think its also a personal thing. If you like the grinder facet you will only see the positives and work around the negatives and the opposite if you prefer the multiplier side. So I don't think you can try and convince someone to change.
Oh and I'd say it also depends on where you fish. Grinders don't really belong in the transkei and I'd say for big bronzies they are also going to get a hiding. Now zululand for diamonds and raggies off the beach I'd say those fish have grinder written all over them
-
we have been getting cows , amd smoothounds on grinders and its AWESOME, no big bronzies yet but watc this space , with the first serious south easter , you boung to get a bronzie on grinder here in Cape town , frankly i cant see why you cant tackle a bronzie on a grinder , have you senn the size of GT,s and other powerful fish caught on grinder before !, after he has shot his bolt as they say its pump and wind , i am oh so going to try and get one an my T flex lol!
-
Don how far do those big bronzies go on the first run? That's my only thought is they will be towing much less drag than when fishing .50 or .55 mono and you will probably have less line capacity than you have on a multiplier. I think it can be done by the right anglers tho. I just hope that it doesn't become another case of every Tom Dick and Harry now targeting these fish and getting bust off all the time.
-
I don't know if I will go to a heavy grinder rig, but for I must say that the light spinning set-up is a blast! I still use multiplier for heavy spinning, eds and in-eds, but would love to try out the the Poseidon Ultra Light for some edible bait fishing.
-
Don how far do those big bronzies go on the first run? That's my only thought is they will be towing much less drag than when fishing .50 or .55 mono and you will probably have less line capacity than you have on a multiplier. I think it can be done by the right anglers tho. I just hope that it doesn't become another case of every Tom Dick and Harry now targeting these fish and getting bust off all the time.
A bronzie is quick out the blocks...they need to be to stay off the menu out there! Once you set the hooks you really gotta hang on. Sometimes you don't even get to set the hooks, they do it themselves with the speed the run starts at. An initial run can last from 50m to 300m depending on the size of the fish. The fish around the 80-120 mark are probably the toughest in this area! The problem with the braid is it will be very direct, mono is one massive shock absorber. A 50kg Bronzie on Straight braid is going to hurt you and rightly as you say HP the extreme lack of line thickness means no line drag to assist!
Will I get a rig? If I do it won't be because I want to, it will be because I have to and that is a bitter pill to swallow!
-
Valid questions Craig! I have always been a grinder man, tried throwing a multiplier a few times and didnt really like it, I am a light tackle fisherman, and I rarely put myself in a position to target big non eds on the grinder... I prefer to use mono than braid on my grinder and just buy grinders with the long cast spool...
-
I pretty much have my mind made up about a rod, it will be a Purglas 400/4 Slimline. What is the right size reel? That Ultegra is just so BIG!!!! Can one use an 8000 size grinder? If so what would the line capacity be?
-
Craig what are you looking to target?
-
Craig what are you looking to target?
It will be a medium setup so everything from lessers to Blue rays and Diamonds as well as smaller duskies and Diamonds. A full on scratching rig for throwing a Mackie Head and cutlet size baits basically!
-
...should be able to handle Smooth hounds and Spotties as well!
-
I'm sure an 8000 would handle those fish but have you had a look at the 10000 ultegra? Same body as the 14000 but the spool is much smaller. You could also look at the ultegra 5500. That is a lekker little reel
-
Line capacity on those...the Ultegra is too big!
-
The 5500 is MUCH smaller than the 14000 I mean much smaller. Fritz will be able to tell you how much line it took he had one awhile ago. The shimano 8000 reels should take over 300m of 30lb braid. I am going to be spooling up my saragosa 8000 with 50lb whiplash so I will try and remember to tell you how much fits on to it
-
Sylvester, look at getting a Daiwa Windcast Z5500, it holds 600m 50lb braid and is a bit lighter then an Ultegra 14000. I used my Grinder quite extensively in the past few days, got over a 100kgs worth of Grey Sharks with it so far, and got a serious hiding from a Giant Sandshark that opened up my 7/0 Gamakatsu trap hook after towing me a few hundred meters down the beach.Heres my take on the advantages.
You can pull so much harder!The braid is so direct, you can really bully a fish and use much less effort then with mono, which stretches.As Angler1 also stated there is a very good advantage when wading, you can go almost neck deep, push the sinker a bit back and gooi, and almost get a good cast of over 100meters every time!Distance is dependent on the angler tho, you get guys that have fished with grinders for a few years now, that have mastered the correct rod, braid, cast and traces that get 170meters plus with a small bait, i however still throw further with my multiplyer, but I'm soon catching up as i get atleast 130 to 140meters with my grinder setup and a 6oz with a bait. And as stated, when there is current, you can throw a 5oz weedeater and get you're bait to lay still, but where as with mono you would atleast need a 7oz wire grapnel.
What ever the case is, get a setup, hook a decent fish an for sure you will be hooked for life! w;k
-
I have caught a few fish on my grinder that I have currently, on a 10' Sensation Giant. It is good fun but I don't see the braid making it that much more enjoyable. I think the whole thing is a bit overrated really, that is just my opinion.
-
Craig then why do you want to get a grinder setup?
-
Craig then why do you want to get a grinder setup?
Braid cuts off mono very easily. When you are fishing in a big group, as happens at nationals, you have the problem of the guys with grinders cutting off the guys with mono. It happened a lot at the last Nationals. If you can't beat them ...... you know the rest.
-
i dont get it ! if its gona aid you then why not join the revolution! instead of risking getting cut off , wether you like it or not, if you fishing in an arena that could potentially leav you with slap line cause you got sliced , why take the chance esp if its Nationals, come on Craigie just try it if you dont like it ill get you rset up sold , lol! you know this indian bra can sell anything lol!!
-
I'm going to get a setup Don, that is a given. Problem is I'm not getting the warm fuzzy feeling inside like I did when I planned my other purchases!
-
then thats good call me lad when you ready , ive got a few proposals , and very cheap contacts, that are legit lol! first batch of rods arriving wed! and i can get the reel in two days