ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: WalkersKiller on July 25, 2011, 01:02:35 PM
-
Hi :ult:
So this past weekend my parents had their timeshare at Millstream so we set off after work on Friday to what was going to be an awesome weekend with lots of :trout:
Traveling in the car was my mother, father myself and Mrs Simpson and we were meeting my cousin and her husband and their 2 kids there. As we got there was greeted by 2 nice fish in the freezer... A 1.2kg and 500gram :trout: caught my Ricci.
I quickly unpacked and set up my Sage 5weight with sinking line on my abu reel and about 8 foot of 2.1kg maxima leader. Had a look around the weirs and reconed the fish would still be in spawn. So i tied an orange dragonfly nymph onto my tippet and casted it out, according to everyone I had spoke to it had been a tough day and I saw about 3 fish come out the whole weekend except for mine and Mrs Simpsons, but more of that later. I casted the dragon nymph into a weir called Rainbows Lie. Let it sink and then i stripped the line as fast as i could and VAAAAAAAAAAS :fshn: first cast. After a brief fight I quickly landed and kept a 500 gram :trout: ... After loosing a fish 5 minutes later I got another bump and I was on again... Another beautiful Rainbow, safely released. After the weir started to look like the banks of the vaal on a summer weekend I decided to move to Walker Water as it was getting dark. I got 3 more fish on the dragon nymph in 20 minutes and then the cold chased me away. So I kept 2 fish and released 3 what a great start, to my amazement the first trout that I had dropped off by the gutting area at the cottage was gone... Later that night I saw that the feral cats were around so I added 1 and 1 together and schemed that they stole 1 of my fish :cnfzd :hehe:
The next morning I was so amped I was awake and on the water in the freezing cold at 5.50am it was dark and unpleasant but I returned to Walker Water and I got a lovely coloured cock fish of about 300 grams. I then quickly caught 2 hens of about 500 grams before the sun came up and then it went dead so I moved on. All were caught with the orange dragon nymph which had seen better days... One eye was missing, the gold ribs had dissapeared and it was slowly starting to unravel itself. So I changed my fly to an orange Zonker after numerous retrieves and flies had not been working and before breakfast i got 2 fish in 3 casts, awesome stuff :happ: :trout:
I had already caught 10 fish in 2 sessions and was back on the water shortly thereafter. I managed another 5 fish before the end of the day and Mrs Simpson got 3 nice fish including one of about 1kg all on either Orange Zonkers, Orange Woolly Buggers, or Orange Fritz's. A great day of fishing had come to an end and after a lot of messing around we were finally confident that the fish wanted a bulky orange fly fished on the bottom stripped as fast as possible.
Mrs Simpson also lost a fish close to the bank and she wasnt to happy but she did really well, these were her first trout at Millstream. The next morning we were on the water at 7.30 and before breakfast I managed one fish on an orange Zonker which was released, we had enough fish in the freezer (7) so everything was put back now... I then got a Zonker stuck in the back of my neck with the wind while casting :nuts: flippin sore :cnfzd
After breakfast I got another 3 fish and Mrs Simpson got a nice 1kg again, all on the orange woolly bugger... We then heard that the fish were spawning in one of the catch and release trophy dams so we headed off for 45 minutes before we had to leave. No fish but some really exciting chases and 'mouths' it was adrenaline pumping stuff especially when I watch about 3 kilogram Brown Trout chase my fly into 10 centimeters of water :happ: I had never caught a Brown so was a bit bleak he didnt commit but it was awesome to see! All in all was an awesome weekend with good weather and amazing fish! here is a summary:
WK 19 Rainbow Trout (18 hens, 1 cock) 5 Kept 14 released... Caught on orange woolly bugger, orange dragonfly nymph, olive woolly bugger, orange fritz, orange zonker... Fish between 300 and 800 grams :-)
Mrs Simpson 4 Rainbow Trout (4 Hens) 1 Kept 3 released all caught on Orange Woolly Bugger she got two nice 1kg fish and 2 fish in the 500 gram mark :happ:
Here are the pics!
:tite
WK
What i saw when I arrived :-)
My first and second fish for the weekend :-)
-
My last fish of the day
My one and only cock fish, beautiful colours, caught in the dark
A nice size hen kept for the pot
-
Nice Gareth! I've never had the privilege of fishing Millstream, but have never heard bad things about the place - I'll get there one day! :shre:
-
Some fish caught on an orange Zonker and Mrs Simpsons first fish :happ: :trout:
-
Lekker stuff!
-
More nice :trout: and me fighting a nice fish :-)
-
Gareth... you're like a machine bru!! Fantastic stuff... really well done. Hope your roll continues this weekend bud! +cred
-
You see... Mrs Simpson was right! Things are always better when she is around! :hehe:
-
:trout: :trout:
-
:trout: :trout: :ult: :ult:
-
Great stuff G !!
-
Well done , Walkers (clap)
-
Trout safely released and a Dassie as we were leaving :-)
-
Well done WK! Nice report! how do you prepare your trout for consumptio (big words..)?
I personally like wrapping a clean fish in a good number of wet newspaper, gooi into the fire, count to around 720 using the 1 crocodile, 2 crocodile method, remove, unwrap, flake flesh, squeeze lemon, season and SMASH! throw in some salti cracks and now we're really talking!!
Or pop into sloane meat market, tall sweetly and ask them to include my fish in their smoking process... (Dont tell anyone but the bonus was that they happily will do it for free! So i spend a little more on some superb meats instead..)
-
Great stuff! Looks addictive... Have to try this one day. :shre:
-
Nice Gareth! I've never had the privilege of fishing Millstream, but have never heard bad things about the place - I'll get there one day! :shre:
Thanks Rory, it is a privelage to be there im so lucky my parents have time share...
-
Lekker stuff!
:tkx: Shag!
-
Gareth... you're like a machine bru!! Fantastic stuff... really well done. Hope your roll continues this weekend bud! +cred
:hehe: thanks Reefz, appreciate it! I hope so, hopefully we can all get a nice fish or 2
You see... Mrs Simpson was right! Things are always better when she is around! :hehe:
:hehe: :hehe:
-
Great stuff G !!
Thanks Homes!
Well done , Walkers (clap)
Shot Craig!
Great stuff! Looks addictive... Have to try this one day. :shre:
You definitely should its really awesome!
-
Well done WK! Nice report! how do you prepare your trout for consumptio (big words..)?
I personally like wrapping a clean fish in a good number of wet newspaper, gooi into the fire, count to around 720 using the 1 crocodile, 2 crocodile method, remove, unwrap, flake flesh, squeeze lemon, season and SMASH! throw in some salti cracks and now we're really talking!!
Or pop into sloane meat market, tall sweetly and ask them to include my fish in their smoking process... (Dont tell anyone but the bonus was that they happily will do it for free! So i spend a little more on some superb meats instead..)
Very nice, I definitely want to try that sounds delicious!
I like cooking it on the braai, basically because i cant cook, wrapped in tinfoil with some lemon juice a few spices and sorted, very nice and fresh! Want to make trout pate sometime though!
-
:cgrts: ......... (clap) ........... :win:
-
Kumz :tkx:
-
You see... Mrs Simpson was right! Things are always better when she is around! :hehe:
:hehe: Yip!!! But what an awesome weekend of fishing and beautiful weather too! Hope you all enjoy the transkei though. Im sure that will be amazing fishing w;k
-
Awesome stuff WK and Mrs Simpson and some nice tout caught as well , i braai my trout as well , gut the fish leave the head on , stuff the inside of the gutted trout with sliced tomatoe, onion and peppadew ,wrap in tin foil place on braai grid and cook through , when eye of trout turns white its cooked , remove from braai ,place on plate ,peel back foil , remove backbone , add some lemon juice and et voila .... time to eat.. :-)
-
Thanks Mike...
Yeah thats exactly how I do it too, put w3hatever I can inside the fish and wait for the eyes to go white :-)
-
:envy looks like you guys had a blast! I don't think the fish had as much fun
-
:envy looks like you guys had a blast! I don't think the fish had as much fun
Was awesome bru... :hehe: :hehe: i think you are right!