ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
General Angling Topics => Rock and Surf Fishing Reports => Topic started by: fedu on June 26, 2011, 05:40:59 PM
-
After lots of messages and agenda problems finally managed to visit Chris (Aquadementia) at kwanza lodge last Saturday.
Kwanza Lodge
(http://i53.tinypic.com/2cscc4j.jpg)
It's colder low season now.
He arranged for a boat trip up the river Kwanza
(http://i54.tinypic.com/fypvfr.jpg)
Found some of my friends fishing for Giant African Threadfin at the Kwanza
(http://i51.tinypic.com/29lguwp.jpg)
Then we went up river looking for birds and monkeys
(http://i53.tinypic.com/11illc6.jpg)
(http://i55.tinypic.com/15eybe8.jpg)
(http://i56.tinypic.com/2uglc3n.jpg)
(http://i51.tinypic.com/2zyfq8h.jpg)
(http://i54.tinypic.com/1zf2640.jpg)
(http://i51.tinypic.com/ff49xi.jpg)
The place is just beautiful and I think the images are self-explanatory
(http://i52.tinypic.com/2yl1w9g.jpg)
(http://i54.tinypic.com/xlwits.jpg)
(http://i52.tinypic.com/zwyplt.jpg)
(http://i56.tinypic.com/52hmc5.jpg)
(http://i54.tinypic.com/358vsx5.jpg)
(http://i53.tinypic.com/2ynnmte.jpg)
Turned back to the Lodge
(http://i51.tinypic.com/5d9l6u.jpg)
The bridge over Kwanza river
(http://i52.tinypic.com/9gkapi.jpg)
(http://i55.tinypic.com/zy81uv.jpg)
Ok, this is a fishing site and this is suposed to be a fishing report, we eventually went out of the river trying to get some fish on the surf.
Chris lost two cobs his Sustain drag was totally wasted by a previous day fish
Here he is running up the beach trying to handle one of the two
(http://i56.tinypic.com/zqsqw.jpg)
Me with my R&S lack of skills landed 5 or 6 of this guys :-)
(http://i51.tinypic.com/2603nf8.jpg)
Eventually picked up one and tried the Jig & Drop technique I had read the day before
(http://i52.tinypic.com/4ujbsz.jpg)
Got a bigger fish but he managed to get rid of the hooks and swim away
We casted and casted until the end of the day
(http://i52.tinypic.com/29cuaft.jpg)
Great finally meeting the Chris "aquadementia" Caine after all this years of internet forum messages, will try to go there next weekend, this time with the family so they can enjoy a really beautiful place and also see if next time me & Chris can focus on fishing and land something instead of just doing tourism and chit chatting through the day ;-)
(http://i53.tinypic.com/1txb8p.jpg)
Thanks Chris really enjoyed the day see you next weekend.
-
Great report Fedu... looks like you guys had an awesome time in an awesome place!! :shre:
-
Beautiful Fedu, have been there but much must have changed in recent years. You are so fortunate. Thanks for the sharing.
A Namibian guy by name of Henk Burger has a lodge at either Kwanza or Longa rivers, do you know which one and the establishment?
Want to get up there and fish (this time).
-
Excellent report Fedu. :shre:
-
Nice one Fedu and some :clfoto: ... :shre:
-
Beautiful Fedu, have been there but much must have changed in recent years. You are so fortunate. Thanks for the sharing.
A Namibian guy by name of Henk Burger has a lodge at either Kwanza or Longa rivers, do you know which one and the establishment?
Want to get up there and fish (this time).
Henk Burger and Jaco Visser built the Longa river lodge but I think managment changed this year, it is now under the same management of Kwanza and Flamingo.
Longa is a truly beautifull place, in my opinion even more beautifull than the Longa, but I think it only has 7 rooms at the lodge and that makes it very dificult to reserve on short notice and also because of that it is also much more expensive.
Spoke to one of Longa Angolan owners (I think it is a mix Angolan Namibian partnership) and he told me they are thinking on increasing the capacity.
On high season Kwanza is better for Tarpon, now on low cold season I am not totally shure but probably Longa R&S might be a bit better.
-
Thanks Fedu, got good contact to both. Maybe I will see you sooner than later. Yes it is a joint venture with Angolan partners. Henk also has an air company in Namibia and Angola.
Funny you talking about "cold season", hard to imagine places like Angola and Mozambique get cold. it so cold here (Gauteng) that we are feezing our backsides off. Hasnt been this cold for couple of winters (below 0 degrees most evenings). Dont see how anybody could want to do anything water related, fish or dive, at the moment. Only thing to look forward to is of course summer!
Now that you have had some practise with AD you should consider joining us for the October visit to Cape Vidal. Apart from the R&S a few guys have promised to bring their boats also. You will have a ball and enjoy!
-
thanks for the visit Fedu, was great to finally shake you by the hand!
great report, great pics!
awesome looking forward to it!! I got a little corvina preta tonight on jig & drop
-
@Toppie - Last year Big Van also talked about Cape Vidal I would really like to go but this year with the Bassas trip I think it will be very dificult to get another outside the country fishing trip permit from the wife....
I think Henk is a friend of my father in law also, doesn't he also have hunting lodges in Namibia ?
@Aqua - Chris just found out the name of the lure you liked on my tackle box and that managed those 2 big cob strikes that made you run up the beach, Super Spin, it's actually just a spinnerbait but made for saltwater with proper mustad 3x hooks, heavy duty stainless steel and brass plated blade, I had bought it for shad and it's also a killer on stripped bass.
I had the 2oz but there is also a 3oz version and it's really an unexpensive old and tested lure in USA, like most you saw on that box
Super Spin - Saltwater Spinner Bait
-
@Aqua - Chris just found out the name of the lure you liked on my tackle box and that managed those 2 big cob strikes that made you run up the beach, Super Spin, it's actually just a spinnerbait but made for saltwater with proper mustad 3x hooks, heavy duty stainless steel and brass plated blade, I had bought it for shad and it's also a killer on stripped bass.
I had the 2oz but there is also a 3oz version and it's really an unexpensive old and tested lure in USA, like most you saw on that box
Super Spin - Saltwater Spinner Bait
That spot looks really nice, cool report!
Fedu, those lures look a lot like the "Flying-C" lures used for salmon, sea trout and sea bass in Ireland and the UK, see this (bad cellphone) picture.
These have been in my tackle box for 5 years since I've moved back to SA, unfortunately I only have the small 1oz ones left but maybe worth a go on ultra light tackle for shad.
-
Awesome report Fedu :shre: :clfoto: and nice stuff Chris (clap)
-
:shre: nice to see some beautifully green vegetation :-) , everything is so dull & brown around these here parts. duh
-
That spot looks really nice, cool report!
Fedu, those lures look a lot like the "Flying-C" lures used for salmon, sea trout and sea bass in Ireland and the UK, see this (bad cellphone) picture.
These have been in my tackle box for 5 years since I've moved back to SA, unfortunately I only have the small 1oz ones left but maybe worth a go on ultra light tackle for shad.
Yes Nico very similar, Chris ideia is to try replicate them when he arrives in SA and it's actually a very simple lure to make.
I've detailed it's contruction on this next picture, the Steel Wire goes throught the lead weight, like any other type of throught wire lure, the lead it's what gives it the weight needed for casting.
-
Great report thanks FEDU!
-
Yes Nico very similar, Chris ideia is to try replicate them when he arrives in SA and it's actually a very simple lure to make.
I've detailed it's contruction on this next picture, the Steel Wire goes throught the lead weight, like any other type of throught wire lure, the lead it's what gives it the weight needed for casting.
I wouldnt say replicate the specifically, I've had an idea for something similar for a while... A few small changes to the basic design for a big performance upgrade
-
A Namibian guy by name of Henk Burger has a lodge at either Kwanza or Longa rivers, do you know which one and the establishment?
I know Henk from my previous company, he used our hanger at Lanseria. I think he is my ex boss' cousin or something. Not sure whether he still operates the lodge in Angola though?
http://www.flyinafrica.com/angola.htm (http://www.flyinafrica.com/angola.htm)
-
Nice report and pic's :yipee: , will have to add Angola to my fishing wish list. Chris the river looks a little easer to fish than the Seekoei’s . :hyst:
-
(clap) (clap) ........ :shre: ........ :win:
-
Nice report and pic's :yipee: , will have to add Angola to my fishing wish list. Chris the river looks a little easer to fish than the Seekoei’s . :hyst:
not actually, its the 5th largest river in Africa (very deep but narrow), so there is always on hell of a current ripping down it. Not many spots in the river itself for fishing but the quality of fish is good
-
Serious doubts about being 5th biggest in Africa, it's around 1.000 Km long.
-
thats what some book here says... its something nice to tell the tourists. Its definitely not the 5th longest, but perhaps ranks 5th in terms of flow rate.. ?? i dont really know, whatever