ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website

FRESHWATER ANGLING => Fly fishing => Trout fishing => Topic started by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 01:37:47 PM

Title: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 01:37:47 PM
Hi guys hope you all had a great weekend!  :appr:

So I have a fishing mailing list and one of the people who had received my emails kindly invited myself, Mrs Simpson, Lunker and his wife to stay and fish there this past "long" weekend. I wish I could tell you where but the owner wants it to stay private for his own benefit so I will respect his wishes. Let me just say that I have never seen so many large trout come out of such a long session. The smallest fish that came out during the whole weekend was 1kg  :happ: and for Rainbow Trout that is an awesome size... I have only caught 3 1KG Rainbow Trout in the last year and a half so that was special for me even though I did not catch that many...

So we left early on Thursday morning, 6am and met up at the shell ultra city in Middleburg and proceeded to our destination the owner let us stay in one of the old farm building which was very nice. We unpacked the car and started to fish... We started to believe by 12 o clock that the owner had mislead us a bit about the  :trout: that occurred in this dam but we persisted with a few methods and finally at 12.15 Lunker hooked into a fish... It was a 1.2 kg Rainbow... After that it was  :ondad: and I quickly landed a 1kg fish and Lunker a second fish close to 2 kilograms. We had found the combination. An olive aggravator nymph fished on the bottom with a very slow figure of 8 retrieve. Lunker proceeded to catch 7 fish that day and I managed 2, he broke is PB with a 3.1kg  :trout: with full spawning colours it was a great fight and a magnificent fish. He also got a 2.5kg Hen.

We ended off the first day with Lunker showing me how to tie some flies, wow that guy can tie!

We were up early on Friday thinking we had figured out the technique of catching these monsters, but we were wrong. Fishing started  :fshn: early before the sun rose and nothing happened until about 12.30 where the good old orange woolly bugger did the trick. We ran out of ideas after using almost every fly in our tackle box and then we just stripped and stripped as fast as we could with heavy sinking line and the fish started to play the game. Once again Lunker outfished me as he got 5 Rainbows and I managed only 1! Lunker broke his PB once again, this time with a 3.5kg fish  :happ: two PB's broken in two days  :shk I can see why the owner does not want to let the word out, I hope he will invite us back again though!

Once again we woke up in the morning full of confidence as we thought we would either get fish on a slow retrieve with olive aggrevators or a fast retrieve with orange woolly buggers. It must of been 0 degrees when we woke up at 6 and we didnt get obn the water until 7.30 when Lunker quickly nailed 2  :trout: both good fish close to 2kgs  :happ: and I struggled along for hours and was determined to get one more fish and just as it started to get dark I had a hit, and it felt like a good fish, much bigger than the 1, 1.1 and 1.6 kg fish I had landed previously... After quite a long fight I netted the  :trout: what a beauty, a 2.3kg Hen  :happ: a few photos and she was back in the water... I was really happy but a tiny bit annoyed to be honest as I missed out on my PB  :trout: by 100 grams. My PB was caught 4 years ago and was 2.4kg Hen  :cnfzd but never the less it was a great feeling, the orange woolly bugger was starting to annoy the fish and the next cast I hooked another fish that on its first jump shook the fly out of its mouth it looked like the same size as the previous fish. After that I reeled up my line and Lunker did the same and we started packing up it was amazing fishing and an amazing environment... The fishing was great  :-)

Here is a summary:
Lunker 14 Rainbow Trout 1kg -3.5kgs
WK 4 Rainbow Trout 1kg-2.3kgs
Mrs Simpson 1 Rainbow Trout (Her PB) 1kg
Lunkers Wife 1 Rainbow Trout 1kg

The flies that did the damage were the Olive Aggravator Nymph size 12, Size 10 Orange Wooly Bugger and an Orange Blob. Here are some of the pictures below:

Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 01:44:31 PM
 :trout: :ult: All fish were released by the way  :-)
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Kumz on June 20, 2011, 01:45:18 PM
 (clap) .. :shre: ..... :win: ...
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Willie on June 20, 2011, 01:46:26 PM
Great  :fshn: and a nice story (clap) as I have said I need someone to teach me these things.
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 01:50:10 PM
 :trout: :ult:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 01:56:50 PM
 :trout: :ult:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 02:03:12 PM
 :trout: :ult:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Homie on June 20, 2011, 02:06:28 PM
 :cgrts: on the PB's !

Great Fish !!!
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: REEFMAN on June 20, 2011, 02:08:17 PM
What a great report and fab catches WK and Lunker!!  (clap) +cred
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 02:10:55 PM
 :trout: :ult:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 02:12:35 PM
Almost my PB of 2.3 kgs above...

Here are some pictures from Lunkers camera, he will give me some more so I will post them at a later stage...
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 02:13:40 PM
 :trout: :ult:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 02:15:02 PM
Thanks a lot guys  :uarocks  :-)

Willie I will teach you a few things  w;k

Reefz appreciate the cred  :bow:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Lichia amia on June 20, 2011, 02:18:32 PM
 :envy  dream weekends fishing !!! Well done !!!!!
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 02:20:21 PM
:envy  dream weekends fishing !!! Well done !!!!!
It was Craig  :happ:  :tkx:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Prego on June 20, 2011, 02:26:32 PM
Great stuff some really nice size fish

 :shre: Gareth.
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: schloshd1 on June 20, 2011, 02:29:27 PM
Some good fish there, well done!
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: aquadementia on June 20, 2011, 02:35:32 PM
nice guys well done!! :happ:


nice report WK :shre:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Jakes on June 20, 2011, 02:45:30 PM
AWESOME report WK ... and  :shre:  ...  (clap)
 
Have some cred ... and you can get some more if you teach me how to fly fish ...  w;k
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 02:48:20 PM
Thanks a lot guys it was awesome... Glad you all liked the report...

@ Jakes, give me a few more cred up front and I will teach you how to fly fish  w;k :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Lunker on June 20, 2011, 03:03:06 PM
Awesome report G! I recon we will be back and hopefully i get the ones that broke me off like that. It was one of those fly sessions that make fly fishing worth it.
 
Cheers guys for the responses. It was a awesome weekend.
 
 
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 03:05:25 PM
Oh yeah forgot to mention that bru, Lunker was broken off about 5 times, twice with a 6.6kg leader, there are some monster fish there!!!!!! Well done on the  :trout:
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Rory on June 20, 2011, 03:09:26 PM
 :envy :envy  Eish... Awesome fish guys, thanks for the report Gareth!! (wipes drool off keyboard...)
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 03:13:22 PM
:envy :envy  Eish... Awesome fish guys, thanks for the report Gareth!! (wipes drool off keyboard...)
:hehe: Thanks Rory I had to wipe a lot of drool off my face while I watched Lunker reel in those 3kg fish  :-)
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: John F on June 20, 2011, 03:13:39 PM
Great report WK!

Now you can submit these fantastic catches to the Angler of the Month June!!!!
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 20, 2011, 03:16:16 PM
Great report WK!

Now you can submit these fantastic catches to the Angler of the Month June!!!!
Thanks Marcos!  :-) almost forgot about that!  duh
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: J-Rock on June 21, 2011, 12:56:46 AM
 (clap) (clap) (clap)
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Toppie on June 21, 2011, 06:19:17 AM
Good report and awesome fish WK. You were very fortunate to get and opportunity to fish on exclusive private waters.
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: Half-Pint on June 21, 2011, 06:36:32 AM
Looks like you guys had an awesome time! Its not every day that you get so many fish let alone such sizers
Title: Re: Monster Trout Weekend 16-19 June
Post by: WalkersKiller on June 21, 2011, 08:22:21 AM
 :tkx: guys...

@ Toppie I know we were very lucky, like I mentioned hopefully we get another invite to fish it again!

@ Brad yeah I know it was unbelievable fishing!
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal